Mississippi Governor Declares April 'Confederate Heritage Month'

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
and yet, you were compelled to respond to it :chuckle:
And you're still doing the unintentional irony bit. :plain:

The thing about someone like you is that if I do answer you'll say I'm compelled and if I don't, at some later point you'll swear that you went after me and I ran away...which is why I never do or don't answer a post based on your tactic. ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And you're still doing the unintentional irony bit. :plain:

The thing about someone like you is that if I do answer you'll say I'm compelled and if I don't, at some later point you'll swear that you went after me and I ran away...which is why I never do or don't answer a post based on your tactic. ;)

except you just did

:darwinsm:

:mock:town the tard

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:yawn: You're projecting again . :noway:
Okay, show me your answer for any point I raised, an actual counter argument resting upon reason instead of declaration and the odd smiley.

As for the ad hominem...do you realize that most of your posts reduce to that very thing? Take what I've omitted in this post, or the schooling comment a moment ago. That's mostly what you do.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"[Give] an actual counter argument resting upon reason..."
:yawn: Ac 17:26, Ex. 21:16, 1 Tim. 1:10
"As for the ad hominem..."
istock_000017123571xsmall-doggy-court.jpg

"...[D]o you realize that most of your posts reduce to that very thing?"
:yawn: You're projecting again (Eph 4:14). :noway:
"...That's mostly what you do."
Mostly.
cartman.gif

701023275fc76af005624053b7554097.jpg

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
rex, on the racism inherent in the Confederacy's cause and those who fought for the south:
There's no way to distinguish the two.

lincoln and many in the north were racist too, yet we celebrate lincoln's birthday as a federal holiday

washington owned slaves, for goodness sake, and we celebrate his birthday too

rexlunae

rex, on the racism inherent in the Confederacy's cause and those who fought for the south:

lincoln and many in the north were racist too, yet we celebrate lincoln's birthday as a federal holiday

washington owned slaves, for goodness sake, and we celebrate his birthday too

When are you guys going to get real and stop categorizing the problem as "racism"?

The celebration of Washington is, and should be, tempered by the limits of his virtue, including his support for slavery. Lincoln deserves a lot more credit than blame for his efforts, though imperfect. Lee, and the other Confederates, were known primarily for their resistance to progress. There's nothing to celebrate there.

rexlunae

If slavery had never been practiced in the colonies or the United States, you'd never have heard of Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, or the Confederacy. As imperfect as the Founding Fathers were, you can't say the same of them, and few would argue that they accomplished no good. The only good thing the Confederacy ever did was lose.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When are you guys going to get real and stop categorizing the problem as "racism"?

The celebration of Washington is, and should be, tempered by the limits of his virtue, including his support for slavery. Lincoln deserves a lot more credit than blame for his efforts, though imperfect. Lee, and the other Confederates, were known primarily for their resistance to progress. There's nothing to celebrate there.
All of them were men of their time and few men of that time who were white saw blacks as real equals, sadly. I credit Washington for keeping our fledgling country from becoming the seat of a native king, among other civic virtues. And you're right, his flaws can't be dismissed or covered up. They were substantial. Lincoln to my knowledge never held slaves, preserved the Union and ultimately was the driving force behind the emancipation of blacks and the ending of that national cancer...Lee made the wrong choice. The only thing you can say for him is that at that point in the life of our nation most men had stronger allegiances, especially in the South, to their native states than they did to the idea of a greater whole, which was contrary to the understanding of many, slavery aside.

None of that, however, matters. Because Lee owed a greater service to the moral right. He was a man of good repute and character. He had an appreciation of the want of virtue in the practice of slavery even if he failed to fully appreciate it's evil. In fulfilling a lesser duty he failed his more substantive obligation to the good. That is why Lee should be preserved as a tragic figure, a cautionary tale for generations. He should not, under any circumstances, be celebrated.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The Civil War could have and should have prevented. Most every other country paid for the release and freedom of slaves. They paid money, not lives.