Mississippi Governor Declares April 'Confederate Heritage Month'

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
...I know he didn't own slaves...

wrong

Lee was born to what had been an old and wealthy Virginia family, but its wealth had been squandered by the time he came of age. His wife, though, was the adoptive descendant of George Washington and the heiress to a massive plantation network.

In his will, Lee's father-in-law had asked that the family's slaves be emancipated after he died when "expedient and proper."

Lee, acting as executor of the wealthy man's will after he died, eventually complied, but not until after the slaves were kept in bondage long enough to right the financial ship of the plantation, which had fallen on hard times.

Lee owned slaves of his own before the Civil War, as late as 1852, and considered buying more even after that, according to Elizabeth Brown Pryor's biography, which is based on Lee's writings and correspondence.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/robert_e_lee_owned_slaves_and.html

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[These men were racists at all. They picked up a weapon and fought because they found themselves on a particular side of a border.] "Not everyone did. In fact, a state or two essentially became involved in a secondary civil war on the point. And I don't care if everyone who rallied for the German cause in WWII was a Jew hating Nazi. I care that they served its aims."
Care all you'd like. They're all dead now. :juggle:

"The north saved the country then. The south will save the country today if it is to be saved." ~ Dennis Prager
You just weren't paying attention...maybe if you had more rest.
:yawn: Maybe if you could make an argument.
drool.gif

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
wrong

Lee was born to what had been an old and wealthy Virginia family, but its wealth had been squandered by the time he came of age. His wife, though, was the adoptive descendant of George Washington and the heiress to a massive plantation network.

In his will, Lee's father-in-law had asked that the family's slaves be emancipated after he died when "expedient and proper."

Lee, acting as executor of the wealthy man's will after he died, eventually complied, but not until after the slaves were kept in bondage long enough to right the financial ship of the plantation, which had fallen on hard times.

Lee owned slaves of his own before the Civil War, as late as 1852, and considered buying more even after that, according to Elizabeth Brown Pryor's biography, which is based on Lee's writings and correspondence.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/06/robert_e_lee_owned_slaves_and.html

You're disturbing his Robert E. Lee Nazi comparison :)yawn: false equivalence). :sozo2:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, I'm not. Lee inherited a mess which he sorted out in accordance with his father in law's will, setting free those slaves within the five years allotted, which was difficult given conflicting terms within that same document.

Wrote Lee, in 1862, "“As regards the servants, those that are hired out can soon be settled. They can be furnished with their free papers and hire themselves out. Those on the farms, I will issue free papers as soon as I can and see that they can get a support. Any who want to leave can do so. The men could no doubt find hires, but what are the women and children to do?
As regards Mr. Collins (the overseer) he must remain and take care of the people until I can dispose of them in some way. I want to do what is right for the people. The estate is indebted to only me now. The legacies and debts have been paid, and I wish to close the whole affair. Whether I can do so during the war I cannot say now.”

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You're disturbing his Robert E. Lee Nazi comparison :)yawn: false equivalence). :sozo2:
Service to an ignoble cause, no matter the rationale, is at absolute best tragic. Declaring a thing a false equivalence without making the case is just bluster giving the appearance of reason without being demonstrably sustained by it.

ok doser

No, I'm not. Lee inherited a mess which he sorted out in accordance with his father in law's will, setting free those slaves within the five years allotted...

and during those five years, he owned slaves

and ordered at least one whipped, as fool reminded you last year

but keep squirming, scumbag :chuckle:

ok doser

from another source:

Lee's wife inherited 196 slaves upon her father's death in 1857. The will stated that the slaves were to be freed within five years, and at the same time large legacies—raised from selling property—should be given to the Lee children. But as the executor of the will, Lee decided that instead of freeing the slaves right away—as they expected—he could continue to own and work them for five years in an effort to make the estates profitable and not have to sell the property.

Lee was considered a hard taskmaster. He also started hiring slaves to other families, sending them away, and breaking up families that had been together on the estate for generations. The slaves resented him, were terrified they would never be freed, and they lost all respect for him. There were many runaways, and at one point several slaves jumped him, claiming they were as free as he. Lee ordered these men to be severely whipped. He also petitioned the court to extend their servitude, but the court ruled against him and Lee did grant them their freedom on Jan. 1, 1863—ironically, the same day that Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation went into effect.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2007/06/24/the-private-thoughts-of-robert-e-lee

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
and during those five years, he owned slaves
:plain: Technically, okay. Not sure what that has to do with my point or my judgment on the tragedy of Lee that too many rush to make into something virtuous.

I omit the rest for want of any real interest on my part in pretending you care about the facts and less in your mischaracterizations and the light they shine on your particular want of character.

As to the facts for others: the will Lee was left with had conflicting terms and requirements that made releasing the slaves immediately impossible. In any event, I have little interest in acting as an apologist for him or anyone who served that institution for any reason, however unrelated to its reality.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:yawn: Ad hominem
I can't meet a want of reason with much more. So if you're only going to declare things, yawn and fail to engage the points, well, what's left except to note it, which you'll then rush to call a personal attack...when it's mostly a commentary on your methodology.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
unless you're not determined to get the last word, in which case you could just not respond :idunno:
He wrote, doing what, exactly, other than illustrating unintentional irony. :plain:

And, unlike you, I made points before and after that note.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Comparing Robert E. Lee to a Nazi] "I'm not comparing them, I'm noting that service to an ignoble cause, no matter the rationale, is tragic."

He's a Nazi, I'm a Nazi. He, she and it are Nazis. :blabla: All conservatives are certainly Nazis (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10). :sozo2: I don't know a conservative who hasn't been called a Nazi (Eph 4:14). :think:

See:

Tactics of the Left

ok doser

He wrote, doing what, exactly, other than illustrating unintentional irony. :plain:

nah - i knew you'd focus on that instead of actually paying attention to what i wrote

that's just one of the many reasons you're increasingly recognized by more and more posters here as the board tard :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
He's a Nazi, I'm a Nazi. He, she and it are Nazis. :blabla:
Like most people who can't address an issue you create a thing of straw to set on fire in it's place. Nothing in that odd attempt of yours remotely resembles a point I've actually made.

All conservatives are certainly Nazis
Supra. Though I find it curious that you're equating Nazis with conservatives...are you sure that's how you want to go there?

I don't know a conservative who hasn't been called a Nazi
:plain: I only call Nazis Nazis, so I can't help you.

If you think any of this post of yours pertains to me, well....(See: a psychiatrist).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...f you're only going to declare things, yawn and fail to engage the points..."
:yawn: Ac 17:26

"I prefer clarity to agreement." ~ Dennis Prager

"...[Y]ou'll then rush to call a personal attack..."
:yawn: Ad hominem
"...t's mostly a commentary on your methodology."

:yawn: You're projecting again (Eph 4:14). :noway:

What did you argue for in the courtroom? Getting dogs out of the pound?
drool.gif

Related:

Redskins are Nazis, too :sozo2:

dog-catcher-clipart-1.jpg