march madness 2015

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
can jim go somewhere else ? is it just the program ? i know the losses come off jim's record too but, can he coach immediately for another program ?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Sad story if Boeheim was involved in letting things happen and covering stuff up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sad story if Boeheim was involved in letting things happen and covering stuff up.

I don't know if I would call it sad. Then again, I have not read the full statement of charges that they are accused of that brought forth this ruling.

Sad is how the NCAA treated Jim Tressel because he is a Christian. Sad is declaring a player ineligible because he took a job when homeless so he had a place to sleep at night.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't know if I would call it sad. Then again, I have not read the full statement of charges that they are accused of that brought forth this ruling.

Sad is how the NCAA treated Jim Tressel because he is a Christian. Sad is declaring a player ineligible because he took a job when homeless so he had a place to sleep at night.

What I meant by it being sad is that Boeheim was supposed to be one of the guys who did things right (or I thought he had that reputation) so it would be sad to see him having a scandal.

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned
I am looking forward to your stats

like how many times has a number 6 seed won it all

Big sports fan here. Especially college. Im pretty sure that 1983 NC State is the only 6 seed to win it all. There were only 54 teams that made the tourney then though.

That NC State team was the one that beat Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwan's Houston on a dunk buzzer beater. Villanova won as a 9 in 1985 over Patrick Ewing's Georgetown. I don't think any team seeded lower than 4 has won since except for the most recent UConn team. They were a 7

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned
I was thinking there are a couple of teams that can knock them off with a good game and Kentucky is off or their heads are thinking about how great they are.

Wisconsin can do it. They are fundamentally sound like something I haven't seen in some time. Like a Bob Knight coached team.

Unfortunately I don't think Wisconsin can. Kaminsky can't take on the entire UK front court. Arizona has the size to make interesting.

I think UVA has a good shot. Kentucky isn't great on offense anyway. Virginia is your best bet for an upset

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned
Just get it over with and name your final four. One reason I don't like to do it is two of the 4 best often end up in the same bracket. It is best to wait for the field of 64. I choose not to watch or acknowledge those play in games.

Bad idea. In the years since the play-in games were used, three teams in them advanced to at least the sweet 16. Tennessee and La Salle, and VCU made the final four

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned
I think the selection committee wants to stick it to various teams and give an easy path to others. Surely you know what I mean in terms of observation. How can one bracket be so loaded, and another is a complete joke....

Poor Wichita State being stuck with Kentucky and Louisville last year gives your controversy some backing

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What I meant by it being sad is that Boeheim was supposed to be one of the guys who did things right (or I thought he had that reputation) so it would be sad to see him having a scandal.

What? That is rhetorical. He is one of the worst and always was. You think Derrick Coleman ever went to a class? He isn't as bad as Bear Bryant who paid his players, but he looked the other way. That is lack of institutional control that you sometimes see listed. Recent violators were Boise State, USC and North Carolina all in football, save for OJ Mayo.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What? That is rhetorical. He is one of the worst and always was. You think Derrick Coleman ever went to a class? He isn't as bad as Bear Bryant who paid his players, but he looked the other way. That is lack of institutional control that you sometimes see listed. Recent violators were Boise State, USC and North Carolina all in football, save for OJ Mayo.

I didn't know about Boeheim's track record.

Do you think there are any coaches who do it the 'right way'?

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned
I didn't know about Boeheim's track record.

VERY VERY few don't cheat at least a little. I don't mean paying for cars or anything, but some extra $$$ and messing with drug tests are nearly universal I'd bet. If everyone else is doing it then you have to as well or risk falling behind.

But maybe the really old school guys with big rep like K and Izzo keep it clean.

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned

Since you mentioned Bear, football in the 70s and 80s was loaded with serious violations. Miami and especially SMU got it bad

Balfour4

BANNED
Banned

If that was the only reason Tressel got canned then he would've found a better rebound job then the Indianapolis Colts' booth review guy. Tressel was too nice and let his players go to tattoo shops where he knew the owners gave players free tats. And he knew they were profiting off if their own memorabilia.

I think it's ridiculous that players can't make $$$ off of their own memorabilia but it's still illegal and he let it happen. They traded up for Urban anyway

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Nick's point (and mine) is that the people who put together the bracket tend to pave the way for certain teams and make others work really hard to get through their brackets. I think they do for ratings purposes. The underdog stories are great from a basketball standpoint, but they often kill the ratings.

yes, it is obvious with the 'selection committee' when they do that. even so, a few surprise teams advance. keeps it a little unpredictable, but not much. Missouri Basketball stinks right now, so i didn't pay attention all season. march madness will be fresh and new for me. Baseball soon. peace - :patrol:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Sure. Probably most of them. It is a small list that look the other way.

And it is often the school who tolerates special treatment for revenue sports (football, mens basksteball). I don't doubt that Ohio State and Alabama have instructors that let things slide but it also is not promoted by Saban and Meyer.

On the other end, Wisconsin football is quite the anomaly. That is why Gary Anderson left so fast after the 59-0 game. He knows they can not make up the ground with the academic standards the school has. They will not let average in the door. I was watching the Big Ten Network and Gerry Dinardo was being question about it (Anderson leaving) and that is what he had said. A few weeks later of others saying "no" Anderson said yes and that is why he went home to Oregon State. So there are schools that have high standards. Besides the Ivy League schools and Northwestern. And Vanderbuilt.

I never liked Boehim because is a scene that would look like Gru in Despicable Me 2, I would have been somewhat unreasonable against what is known because of what is seen.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Scratch that. Saban has a bagman. He doesn't employ him, but he tolerates it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And he knew they were profiting off if their own memorabilia.

So they shouldn't profit from selling something? I see your quick recant at the end. Must be SEC with Johnny Manzeil and Todd Gurley.

Think about the headlines from ESPN. Cash for tattoos. (I don't get tattoos either). How else do you get them? Steal?

Since you mentioned Bear, football in the 70s and 80s was loaded with serious violations. Miami and especially SMU got it bad

I don't know that he was as bad at Alabama as he was at Texas A&M. All the worst cliché's you can come up with were true for him back then.

Tressel is President of Youngstown State now. And he is still technical under that show cause, much to the chagrin of others. He hired that lunatic from Nebraska, Bo Pelini to be the football coach.