ECT JESUS NEVER TAUGHT SOLA SCRIPTURA

Levolor

I do indeed appreciate the way you think, Levolor.

Think... now, there's a novel idea! Let me see if I can come up with some RCC propaganda on that... so you won't have to worry yourself. LOL!

LOL But, but, but... I've never been RCC or CC (whichever is the rage these days).

I'd probably be a teensy bit of a rebel on it anyway. ;)

At first, anyhow.:)
Threads would be nice, Levelor. And, your participation an honor. They take much time and energy...

Yes they are, and thank you for your very kind words here and above.

I've had a little time here lately to harass folk, LOL!
Fancy that! ME too! :D

Lot of unexplored water in front of the bridge... and, it sounds like the RCC is in Pearl Harbor... tossing out millstones.

LOL! :D I 'think' (there I go again! ;) ) that the Catholics are greatly misunderstood and also that they don't help that position any. And I wasn't kidding... I've never been Catholic.

later,

kayaker.

Sounds great to me! God bless.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
LOL But, but, but... I've never been RCC or CC (whichever is the rage these days).

I'd probably be a teensy bit of a rebel on it anyway. ;)

At first, anyhow.:)

Yes they are, and thank you for your very kind words here and above.

Fancy that! ME too! :D

LOL! :D I 'think' (there I go again! ;) ) that the Catholics are greatly misunderstood and also that they don't help that position any. And I wasn't kidding... I've never been Catholic.

Sounds great to me! God bless.

just jumping in here - i was raised catholic as a kid and know many catholics that just use the "word" itself. but just like any christians, any denomination, there are serious folks and bystanders. i do feel that some catholics act superior, but again, that's everywhere you go. they do seem in turmoil at times, but i love this Pope. i watched a catholic mass on ewtn or some channel, and i really enjoyed it. it took me back. the core of catholicism is true to Jesus Christ. but early in it's history and throughout, they have been just plain wrong. and many thanks to Kayaker and you Levolor, for cordial, respectful, intelligent conversation ! helpful and genuine. i can be taught and learn more. anyone that ever lived can. i get tired of those that "know" ALL. if they do, they certainly wouldn't be on TOL. (except me - charity)jk. - :argue:

kayaker

Please cite something Jesus cited and called scriptures, that was outside of the Old testament scriptures, full cite please.

Very good request, A4T... "Just because Jesus appealed to the Old Testament as AN authority..." is very arrogant ("Just") and short-sided ("AN"). Jesus didn't 'Just.. appeal to the Old Testament..." Jesus was cross-examined on the Books of Moses by those instigating His crucifixion:

John 8:4, 5, KJV "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5) Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6) This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as thou he had not heard them."

The Old Testament wasn't just "AN authority." The Books of Moses was THE authority. The Law those detractors were referring to was Leviticus 20:10 KJV. The temptation of Christ was to summon the DUDE she was caught in the act with! Jesus couldn't speak a name in condemnation (John 8:15 KJV), so He doodled the names of all those DUDES in front of Him who'd tangoed with the temple harlot!

So much for the Catholic Church also referring to the Books of Moses. I suppose they have a better rendering, just because they think they have exclusive rights space-docking with God...

soloist kayaker, and free-thinking neologian

Dona Bate

Please cite something Jesus cited and called scriptures, that was outside of the Old testament scriptures, full cite please.
John 7:37-39
"On the last day of the festival, the great day, while Jesus was standing there, he cried out, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me, and let the one who believes in me drink. As the scripture has said, ‘Out of the believer’s heart shall flow rivers of living water.’ " Now he said this about the Spirit, which believers in him were to receive; for as yet there was no Spirit, because Jesus was not yet glorified."

God Bless!

Levolor

just jumping in here - i was raised catholic as a kid and know many catholics that just use the "word" itself. but just like any christians, any denomination, there are serious folks and bystanders. i do feel that some catholics act superior, but again, that's everywhere you go. they do seem in turmoil at times, but i love this Pope. i watched a catholic mass on ewtn or some channel, and i really enjoyed it. it took me back. the core of catholicism is true to Jesus Christ. but early in it's history and throughout, they have been just plain wrong. and many thanks to Kayaker and you Levolor, for cordial, respectful, intelligent conversation ! helpful and genuine. i can be taught and learn more. anyone that ever lived can. i get tired of those that "know" ALL. if they do, they certainly wouldn't be on TOL. (except me - charity)jk. - :argue:

LOL

And, other than the laughs, you're right. No matter where we are at in matters of denomination, or in a Mother Church, we will find those who are hot, cold and lukewarm.

I am humbled by your kind words to Kayaker and myself... thank you.

I am so glad you are here! A true blessing from God to all who can accept it.

Jump in anytime. :)

Lon

And Jesus said..."the Bible is your only source..." ...and [the crowd] said "...what... is a bible?

Just sayin'...
Er, Romans 3:21 It 'seems' they weren't asking what the heck a Bible was. This is a Catholic 'assumption' that has a lot of flaws. The Law and the Prophets were binding. Do a word study on "The Law and the Prophets."

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Er, Romans 3:21 It 'seems' they weren't asking what the heck a Bible was. This is a Catholic 'assumption' that has a lot of flaws. The Law and the Prophets were binding. Do a word study on "The Law and the Prophets."

what is sola scriptura ? one scipture ? and why is there a seperate catholic bible and a heavy emphasis on Mary ? i mean the Mother of God is worthy, but that much ? The Bible doesn't say too much on that.

Lon

what is sola scriptura ? one scipture ?
Wiki Sola Scriptura "Scripture alone." It is the idea that Scripture is the priority Protestants go to verify truth.
Catholics also go to the Pope's proclamations, their Priests, and tradition to verify what is true. Luther said the problem with that was that priests and man-made traditions 'can' be fallible whereas scripture cannot. Many Catholics view this as exactly backwards. Many Catholics believe the scriptures are not infallible like you and I think of them in those terms, but that the traditions, church, and Pope ex cathedra are. Their "truth" then is dynamic. Protestants believe strongly that truth is static (doesn't change, doesn't need to change to fit the times).

and why is there a sep[a]rate catholic bible
Not separate, larger. Here is a partial reason why. It is a bit too simple but basically the difference and reason. Briefly it is the difference between accepting a Hebrew version and the latter Greek version of scriptures.

and a heavy emphasis on Mary ?

i mean the Mother of God is worthy, but that much ? The Bible doesn't say too much on that.
Correct, it is mostly because of tradition but for Catholics, "Tradition" is as (or more) binding as/more than scripture.

kayaker

Ditto to Levolor's reply, patrick jane. Thank you. I'll have to admit my view of Catholics has taken an all but critical mass plunge since joining TOL. This OP is a classic case in point... not uncommon. Just like the good-standing Muslims should rebuke the fundamentalist radicals... so should a thread like this be rebuked by upstanding Catholics. One has to ask oneself: Who and what's to gain?

It's hard to have congenial, intelligent dialogue without it diverting to a Catholic alter call, or "my church is bigger than your church" rebuke. In fact, it appears as though its all but impossible to have a conversation with an individual... they're mostly clones with a repertoire of propaganda and a programmed agenda. Like trying to dialogue with the radio... The only response to a thread like this is hostile rebuttal... and, like a good narcissistic personality disorder type; they lick their wounds in self-gratification, and huddle in some kind of pity party, or withdraw altogether in neutered submission. If they didn't... they'd rebuke this thread.

kayaker

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Wiki Sola Scriptura "Scripture alone." It is the idea that Scripture is the priority Protestants go to verify truth.
Catholics also go to the Pope's proclamations, their Priests, and tradition to verify what is true. Luther said the problem with that was that priests and man-made traditions 'can' be fallible whereas scripture cannot. Many Catholics view this as exactly backwards. Many Catholics believe the scriptures are not infallible like you and I think of them in those terms, but that the traditions, church, and Pope ex cathedra are. Their "truth" then is dynamic. Protestants believe strongly that truth is static (doesn't change, doesn't need to change to fit the times).

Not separate, larger. Here is a partial reason why. It is a bit too simple but basically the difference and reason. Briefly it is the difference between accepting a Hebrew version and the latter Greek version of scriptures.

Correct, it is mostly because of tradition but for Catholics, "Tradition" is as (or more) binding as/more than scripture.

i was just thinking of that, your last phrase, that tradition and family history, often times restricts or retards any real or new spiritual growth. a wall or a mental block is put up, with emotion and stubborn reasoning. - :bang:

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
what is sola scriptura ? one scipture ? and why is there a seperate catholic bible and a heavy emphasis on Mary ?
i mean the Mother of God is worthy, but that much ? The Bible doesn't say too much on that.

popeye-rick-baker-3D-print-makerbot-700x390.jpg

According to Ivan Panin:
https://www.google.com/search?q=iva...amsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8
..., He discovered that the extra 7 books don't contain the same numerical patterns as the 66 books.
The 66 books has been scientifically proven that it was inspired by God. The extra 7 books failed
the test and is written by men that were not inspired by God.
But as we know now, if the pope say it is inspired by God then to the Catholics, they have to
obey the pope because deep down inside thier secret gatherings, those under the pope claims he
is god on earth and he is authorized to even include mother goose in the Bible if he wanted to. If the
pope wants to include popeye in the Bible, they have no choice but to alow that to be.

That's why the RCC blew it and became an cult

Http://www.theomatics.com

Cross Reference

now His Word Is Scripture ! :noway:

This is true, however, it is a dynamic word administered through a personal Pentecost the written word explains and points to as a necessity because of the ascension of Jesus and as He instructed to receive in His stead for the grooming of the saints.

Aimiel

Jesus didn't have to teach that Scripture was our only authority, knowing that The New Testament would be added to it, The Holy Ghost would be given to us and that we would become Living Epistles.