Is the Law of Moses good or bad?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Jacob, I have to go to bed now, I have work tomorrow. I see that you linger on your explanation of love, I believe that 1 Cor 13 is the best the Bible teaches about love. So, look that one up if you didn’t already know it, and I’ll talk to you later.

k0de

Scripture says that the Law is good. But we often think of it as bad. Why is this so?
The law is good. It's is only bad when looked into as a way of salvation.

There is something that the Law cannot do, save you. But Jesus can do that (save you). So is the Law inferior to Jesus?
When use for salvation yes. It is inferior to Jesus.

I am talking about the Law of Moses. God's law is also found in the New Covenant, but people debate about if there should be any punishment or penalty for wrong done.

How is the Law good? In that it points out sin.
That is all that it was good for. That it point out sin and other civil and moral justifications.

Is this sin all sin that can be repented of? Can a person repent of anything and be saved?
NO.

What do you think? If we did not have the Law could we still point out sin?
I think we will never know that sin exist without the law.

Also, is it bad to preach the Law in light of the preaching of Jesus?
Yes if preached by itself. But also no. I think it's good thing when preached along side Jesus.
Remember that "Paul taught that the purpose of the Law was to serve as a “tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith."

Hawkins

How is the Law good? In that it points out sin. Is this sin all sin that can be repented of? Can a person repent of anything and be saved? What do you think? If we did not have the Law could we still point out sin?

Also, is it bad to preach the Law in light of the preaching of Jesus?

Law is good because it defines good from bad. Mosaic Law is a set of laws given to the Jews but not gentiles. God demonstrated through His chosen people that every single human is subject to a covenant either to be saved or to be condemned. NT requires us to follow Jesus teaching, while Jesus said,

Luke 16:16 (NIV2011)
The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

Will you follow?

Hawkins

Killing people for picking up sticks on Saturday, codes for keeping slaves and their treatment, institutionalized rape, blood sacrifice, among other evils.

I have explained all this many times here and in other forums. In the end it only says that you have no faith of God.

Moreover please provide verses as what you said here involves false accusations by taking the Bible out of context.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I have explained all this many times here and in other forums. In the end it only says that you have no faith of God.

No it doesn't. You are mistaken and have spoken falsely. You bear false witness which is a sin according to the law you praise.

Moreover please provide verses as what you said here involves false accusations by taking the Bible out of context.

You just said you have explained this many times.....so why would you need me to provide you the verses?

I'll do it after work maybe.

Anyway, there is nothing to explain. The OT does in fact support slavery, institutionalized rape, blood sacrifice, and other evils as I have stated previously. It is wrong and it is in the bible. You're the one that's gonna have to deal with it yourself - I've already made my peace with it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The OT does in fact support slavery,

Yup.

institutionalized rape,

No, it doesn't. It condemns it.

blood sacrifice,

...of animals, never of humans.

And such is only required of one specific group of people.

and other evils as I have stated previously.

Such as?

It is wrong and it is in the bible.

Actually, of the things you listed, only one of them is morally wrong, another is wrong only under certain conditions, and the last is neither moral nor immoral, inherently.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Great. I do too. So, we have something to agree upon. We both believe God is love.

Jacob, please tell me. What is love as you know it? What does the Bible teach you love is?

Jacob, I have to go to bed now, I have work tomorrow. I see that you linger on your explanation of love, I believe that 1 Cor 13 is the best the Bible teaches about love. So, look that one up if you didn’t already know it, and I’ll talk to you later.

Yes, 1 Corinthians 13 is really good for what love is. I hope that when you read this you have had a good day at work. I don't expect to hear from you as the Sabbath is approaching here, but you can post if you have something to say before that.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The law is good. It's is only bad when looked into as a way of salvation.

When use for salvation yes. It is inferior to Jesus.

That is all that it was good for. That it point out sin and other civil and moral justifications.

NO.

I think we will never know that sin exist without the law.

Yes if preached by itself. But also no. I think it's good thing when preached along side Jesus.
Remember that "Paul taught that the purpose of the Law was to serve as a “tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith."

Yes, the purpose of the Law.

You believe that a person cannot be forgiven for just anything. That there is something a person cannot be forgiven of or for. I believe that is what you have said here with your NO.

Should people obey, observe, the Law? It is how we know what sin is, but we know sin is the opposite of obedience so do we obey the Law or obey Jesus or what? Do we acknowledge penalty or punishment for breaking or transgressing the Law? Can we love someone and witness against them at the same time?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Law is good because it defines good from bad. Mosaic Law is a set of laws given to the Jews but not gentiles. God demonstrated through His chosen people that every single human is subject to a covenant either to be saved or to be condemned. NT requires us to follow Jesus teaching, while Jesus said,

Luke 16:16 (NIV2011)
The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

Will you follow?

I am not sure what you are asking me. Will I follow what? The scripture? I do. The New Covenant is for the House of Israel and the House of Judah. Some people used to be Gentiles. Is there such a thing as a Gentile who is born again or who is a new covenant believer?

k0de

Yes, the purpose of the Law.
Agree

You believe that a person cannot be forgiven for just anything. That there is something a person cannot be forgiven of or for. I believe that is what you have said here with your NO
NO not at all Jacob. My mistake. Let me explain. I believe that the Law can not forgive some one. With the Law what is done is done. For example eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. But yes. Someone can be forgiven through the grace of Lord Jesus Christ if they have a contrite heart.

Should people obey, observe, the Law?
YES.

It is how we know what sin is, but we know sin is the opposite of obedience so do we obey the Law or obey Jesus or what?
Obey both

Do we acknowledge penalty or punishment for breaking or transgressing the Law?
Yes both.

Can we love someone and witness against them at the same time?
Yes I do that to my Son. My only begotten on a daily basis.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

NO not at all Jacob. My mistake. Let me explain. I believe that the Law can not forgive some one. With the Law what is done is done. For example eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. But yes. Someone can be forgiven through the grace of Lord Jesus Christ if they have a contrite heart.
Why do people talk about these things and say what is done is done? Are we talking after the punishment? Or that a person breaks a law and there is a simplicity to it such that there is a punishment?
Why?
Obey both
Why both?
Yes both.
I urge you to read the following thread.

Thread: Penalty. The existence of a penalty for breaking a law.
Yes I do that to my Son. My only begotten on a daily basis.

That is an interesting thing to say. You capitalized son by saying Son. Are you relating this like you are God and your son is like Jesus God's Son? You are relating family in regard to a witness before God? You are correct that it is simple. I am talking about the death penalty or other penalty I guess.

k0de

That is an interesting thing to say. You capitalized son by saying Son. Are you relating this like you are God and your son is like Jesus God's Son? You are relating family in regard to a witness before God? You are correct that it is simple. I am talking about the death penalty or other penalty I guess.
NO. Not even close. More like family in regards to a witness before God?

I'm looking into your link. Be patient with me I'm some what authistic. More like the tortoises in Looney tunes. But by the power of God I always beat the rabbit. Brb.... Lol

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
NO. Not even close. More like family in regards to a witness before God?

I'm looking into your link. Be patient with me I'm some what authistic. More like the tortoises in Looney tunes. But by the power of God I always beat the rabbit. Brb.... Lol

Not a problem.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
No, it doesn't. It condemns it.

What you have said here demonstrates that you do not know the bible.

I mean, it is not my wish to be unkind, but an educated person can't allow the uninformed practice foolery. The bible clearly states that rape is institutionalized in the Law of Moses, in the Book of Deuteronomy.

In chapter 22 a man can force a woman, and if it be found out, pay her father 50 shekels of silver.

In Deuteronomy chapter 21, a man can go to the slaughter, and wipe out a whole family with the sword, but spare an attractive woman. Then, after he slaughtered her family, he can shave her head and allow her to mourn the dead for 30 days. After that time he may have sex with her as much as he wishes and make her his wife.

Now, if you think for one minute that any woman who just watched you slaughter her entire family in cold blood with sword and spear would like to sleep with you; you're crazy. It's institutionalized rape in the form of pillaging captives, and slaughtering the rest of the people.

"“When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God delivers them into your hand, and you take them captive, 11 and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and desire her and would take her for your wife, 12 then you shall bring her home to your house, and she shall shave her head and trim her nails. 13 She shall put off the clothes of her captivity, remain in your house, and mourn her father and her mother a full month; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. 14 And it shall be, if you have no delight in her, then you shall set her free, but you certainly shall not sell her for money; you shall not treat her brutally, because you have humbled her."

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I do.

You are making a false accusation against me, so likely against others as well.

Now I understand your point Jacob. Yes....I see it now.

Jacob, if you believe that God told Moses to kill that man for picking up sticks, as the bible claims that it does, then you do in fact believe that God is a killer.

And, if you believe that God decided to kill all of the entire race because they did not please him, but spare Noah.....then spare his family but wipe out every other living thing....

Then, you do believe God is a killer. Your God is a killer.

You may be offended, but I'm not going to apologize for the truth.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What you have said here demonstrates that you do not know the bible.

I mean, it is not my wish to be unkind, but an educated person can't allow the uninformed practice foolery. The bible clearly states that rape is institutionalized in the Law of Moses, in the Book of Deuteronomy.

In chapter 22 a man can force a woman, and if it be found out, pay her father 50 shekels of silver.

In Deuteronomy chapter 21, a man can go to the slaughter, and wipe out a whole family with the sword, but spare an attractive woman. Then, after he slaughtered her family, he can shave her head and allow her to mourn the dead for 30 days. After that time he may have sex with her as much as he wishes and make her his wife.

Now, if you think for one minute that any woman who just watched you slaughter her entire family in cold blood with sword and spear would like to sleep with you; you're crazy. It's institutionalized rape in the form of pillaging captives, and slaughtering the rest of the people.

"“When you go out to war against your enemies, and the Lord your God delivers them into your hand, and you take them captive, 11 and you see among the captives a beautiful woman, and desire her and would take her for your wife, 12 then you shall bring her home to your house, and she shall shave her head and trim her nails. 13 She shall put off the clothes of her captivity, remain in your house, and mourn her father and her mother a full month; after that you may go in to her and be her husband, and she shall be your wife. 14 And it shall be, if you have no delight in her, then you shall set her free, but you certainly shall not sell her for money; you shall not treat her brutally, because you have humbled her."
There are better ways to look at these.
Now I understand your point Jacob. Yes....I see it now.

Jacob, if you believe that God told Moses to kill that man for picking up sticks, as the bible claims that it does, then you do in fact believe that God is a killer.

And, if you believe that God decided to kill all of the entire race because they did not please him, but spare Noah.....then spare his family but wipe out every other living thing....

Then, you do believe God is a killer. Your God is a killer.

You may be offended, but I'm not going to apologize for the truth.

It does not say that God is a killer. But if you choose to go against God, what should happen to you?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
There are better ways to look at these.

It does not say that God is a killer. But if you choose to go against God, what should happen to you?

What happens to you when love loves you Jacob? You said you believe God is Love. Does love hurt you or help you?

God didn’t kill those people or demand their killing, because that’s not what love does. But the OT clearly shows that God kills.

So, what’s that all about?

You think God made us so he could kill us?

OMG. Check yourselves. You don’t know God. You’re like Elvis playing Vegas, but at least Elvis crushed no matter where he was playing.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What happens to you when love loves you Jacob? You said you believe God is Love. Does love hurt you or help you?

God didn’t kill those people or demand their killing, because that’s not what love does. But the OT clearly shows that God kills.

So, what’s that all about?

You think God made us so he could kill us?

OMG. Check yourselves. You don’t know God. You’re like Elvis playing Vegas, but at least Elvis crushed no matter where he was playing.

Not at all. I do not think any of that. I simply believe what the scriptures say.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Not at all. I do not think any of that. I simply believe what the scriptures say.

Jacob, what you call scriptures means bible. It is the Bible that teaches us that God wants to kill us. It is stated over and over again, beginning with Genesis, and ending with Revelations.

The Bible teaches that God is angry, filled with wrath, jealousy and hate, and he’s going to be killing us as he has done in the past because we are not good enough.

So, what you’re saying is that you do in fact believe that God is a killer if you want to believe the Bible. And that is your right. You get to believe whatever you want. There is death in this world, it is all around us and in us. We are all going to die. Maybe that’s why so many people believe that God is an angry killer.

For some of us, the idea that God is a blood thirsty killer is so reprehensible as to make it actually evil to think. We don’t know why we are here to suffer death, but we don’t believe it’s because God is evil. We believe that God is good in spite of the death around us.