Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

I was going to post Matthew 25:41-46 also until I saw you berating Aimiel (yes, he berated you as well...happy?) So your argument is that eternal punishment doesn't occur because people who are dead have no consciousness?

No, that was his argument. my argument is that death is a punishment. That's why there is a "death row". And death is forever, so it is eternal. Ergo, death is an eternal punishment. He was biffed because I said that Jesus never said there was eternal conscious torment in hell. So he rips off a post saying that I should repent of tearing the pages out of my Bible because Jesus sure nuff did say say there was eternal conscious torment in hell, then he posts something that DOESN'T SAY THAT.

So I gave it back to him, and rightly so.

But, I don't care what you guys think anymore. Believe whatever you want and God Bless You. Thanks to the moron who called me a troll, right back at you, you idiot.

Aimiel

...I said that Jesus never said there was eternal conscious torment in hell. So he rips off a post saying that I should repent of tearing the pages out of my Bible because Jesus sure nuff did say say there was eternal conscious torment in hell, then he posts something that DOESN'T SAY THAT.
It doesn't?!?

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Yeah, everlasting punishment. It says that. He would have said that they no longer existed if that were the case, and so would the rest of the Scriptures which point to ECT. They don't.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
To be cast into hellfire and be burnt up is a punishment that is everlasting, however to stand before God in your sins is a terrifying experience as it is.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It doesn't?!?

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Yeah, everlasting punishment. It says that. He would have said that they no longer existed if that were the case, and so would the rest of the Scriptures which point to ECT. They don't.

They do.

Isa 42:5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

Job 34:14 If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath;
Job 34:15 All flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you believe the story of the rich man and Lazarus is literal, and the rich man was/is in hell/hades according to the story, it follows that you must believe Jesus preached to the rich man in hades.

If you believe Jesus preached to the "spirits imprisoned in hell/hades," explain what would be the point of him doing that? And if you believe he preached to those in Abraham's bosom, explain why paradise would be called prison and why Saints would have to wait in prison.

I have already explained. God came down to earth to preach to the dead, those who were in bondage to sin (the prison). Here are some supporting scriptures:

Isaiah 42:22 But this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore.

Zechariah 9:11-12 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water. Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee.

Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.

1 Peter 4:6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

It should be obvious that 1 Peter 4:6 is about people dead in their sin because those are the only ones who can be "judged according to men in the flesh." 1 Peter 3:19 must be interpreted in light of 1 Peter 4:6.

The translators mistakenly joined two separate coherent thoughts into one incoherent thought. Separately, they make sense.

"…the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient."

(new thought)

"When the longsuffering of God waited patiently in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water, there is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism…"

Revelation 20:13 occurs at the end, yet you are implying what? Please explain the meaning of Revelation 20:13 in light of your doctrine.

Very true.

LA

Doormat

No, the rich man does not have a body such as we currently have because he has died.

If the story is literal, he had a tongue, a nervous system, wanted literal water to cool him, and was being tormented by literal flames. If the story is not literal, it is a parable.

Why isn't an appeal to belief convincing to you?

It is a logical fallacy.

How is God real to you? How is Yeshua and Ruach HaKodesh real to you?

I believe God is real because He has revealed Himself to me through Christ, and what He revealed explains my experience.

Doormat, Scripture doesn't answer all our questions. If it did, there would be a whole lot more believers than there are.

The scriptures answered all my questions, and even without them ...

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

I don't think so and the reason I don't is because there are no characters with names in any of Yeshua's other parables.

Why would that matter? A parable can contain proper names. Numbers 23:7 contains five proper names.

I had this conversation with my husband and his response was that the rich man had no name. When I thought about that, I came to wonder if people no longer have names when they are consigned to hell. Perhaps only those who's names are written in the Book of Life have names. Perhaps those in hell are only known by the sins they committed.

"... a certain rich man ..." See also Luke 12:16 and Luke 16:1.

Clearly the rich man's wealth and lack of care for fellow human being's suffering under his nose got him where he was.

And where were those covetous Pharisees that Jesus was addressing by telling them the story? Dead in their sins. It fits the parable that Jesus was telling them.

How is it, Doormat, that you are comfortable applying analogy that may or may not be correct but you're not convinced by what is plainly there/simply written? I'm not asking that in a derogatory or condescending fashion either.

In context, Jesus was telling the story to the covetous Pharisees, and Jesus only spoke to them in parables according to scripture.

Matthew 13:34 Jesus spoke all these things to the crowd in parables; he did not say anything to them without using a parable.

IMJerusha

No, that was his argument. my argument is that death is a punishment. That's why there is a "death row". And death is forever, so it is eternal. Ergo, death is an eternal punishment. He was biffed because I said that Jesus never said there was eternal conscious torment in hell. So he rips off a post saying that I should repent of tearing the pages out of my Bible because Jesus sure nuff did say say there was eternal conscious torment in hell, then he posts something that DOESN'T SAY THAT.

So I gave it back to him, and rightly so.

But, I don't care what you guys think anymore. Believe whatever you want and God Bless You. Thanks to the moron who called me a troll, right back at you, you idiot.

Whoa, back up the train! Tim, do you expect everyone to agree with your take? I just don't see how Scripture supports that. And while Yeshua didn't say there is eternal conscious torment in hell, He did say there is eternal punishment in hell. One would think that in order to experience that, one would have to be conscious in one way, shape or form, as in aware.
So, while I don't agree with you, I don't see you as a troll.

Doormat

If Jesus believed your view, why would he give this misleading picture? ... Jesus is truth, not a liar. He is a great teacher, not a misleading, confused one.

Jesus referred to Beelzebub. Did it mean he believed Beelzebub was real? No.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The doctrine of Eternal conscious torment is built upon a mutitude of lies such as--

1. The soul is immortal.

2. The soul separates from the body when one is dead.

3. When a man dies he is not really dead.

4. Christ was alive when He was dead.

5. Christ did not entirely die (soul for souls), only His body died.

6. Jesus is God, so He could not die.

7. Jesus is a God/ man, and only the man part died.

8 The soul and spirit are interchangable, meaning the same thing.

It goes on and on and on but it all came from the spiritualists.

LA

keypurr

The Dead are Dead. They know nothing.

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
Ecc 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion forever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Psa 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Santa and the Easter Bunny are false also. That was very hard to accept.

Doormat

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

Doormat

2 Peter 3:7 But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

How does the fire destroy them if it doesn't burn or consume them?

Also, you didn't answer the question: What do you believe 2 Peter 3:7 describing?

There are many things that can destroy a person without relieving them of existence.

Please provide some examples of what you are thinking.

The destruction Peter is describing in 2 Peter 3:7-12 appears to be annihilation.

7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

And Peter was describing the same as Paul, regarding those in Christ:

Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
-1 Corinthians 3:12-15

That describes annihilation like 2 Peter 3:7-12. What do you believe "if anyone's work is burned" and "suffer loss" mean, if not what they state?

As for those not in Christ, a fire can burn but not burn up/consume; look at the burning bush, for instance.

Why do you compare unbelievers to the burning bush? You should compare unbelievers to the men who were burned up when they threw the three worthies into the fiery furnace. The wicked will be burned up on the Day of the Lord according to prophecy.

Malachi 4:1-3

1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
But you don't believe that the lost die in their sin. You believe that they live forever in hell being tormented for their sin.

But look at what Jesus said happens to those who go to Gehenna (Hell) in Matthew 10:28

God said Adam would die the day he ate. He continued to exist and died centuries later. Adam died spiritually and was relationally separated from God before he died physically.

Death is separation, not cessation. You have a wrong view of spirit-soul also (which has implications for many other doctrines including after life issues).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You had best repent of taking out the words "eternal punishment" and adding in the words "eternal conscious torment".

Or just learn HOW TO READ! I didn't cut parts out of my Bible, I'm just reading what's there and not reading what's not there. Don't have a conniption fit.

Punishment for life in jail is not cessation the day you go to jail.

Everlasting life grammatically parallels everlasting punishment. Using your logic, eternal life should cease. Your loop hole that the effects of the punishment are forever is strained and laughable.

Your arguments are specious. Using your illogic, we are denying the trinity because we say 'God'. We are adding trinity every time we see the word 'God' or we are failing to add it when we say 'God'? Eternal punishment and eternal life can be described in principle with more words. The Bible teaches trinity whether the word is used or whether every mention of God is explicit about it. ECT is established by all relevant verses, not by having to have the words explicitly there (just as your view does not explicitly say the opposite or annihilation, etc.).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
For anyone who feels within their spirit that this doctrine is ungodly, and doesn't reflect the true nature of the Father check out toxic bibles, you might break the trance of the tradistionalist hate dogma, and their bible worship cult over the testament of the spirit that proclaims all things are possible with the Creator.

:dead: Oh brother.