Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

God's Truth

The verse says that we should fear the destruction of the soul in Gehenna,
You just ignore the scripture I gave you.

therefore the soul can be destroyed.
I also believe that the soul can die, because the Bible says "the soul who sins shall die". Ezekiel 18:4.
We all die.

You are using the term "destroyed" in a figurative sense. Do those who destroy their lives by going through a brush chipper headfirst still live?

You did not answer my question. If a person's life is horrific because of the choices he made, is it a life destroyed?

God's Truth

Of course not. Unless the person is dead and unsaved as a result of those choices.

People say that as an exaggeration.

Are you saying their life is not destroyed while they are living the way they are living?

Are you saying it is untrue?

Why would destroying your life with sin be an exaggeration?

Timotheos

You just ignore the scripture I gave you.
No I didn't. It says "fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in hell (Gehenna). I believe that the bodies and souls of the lost will be destroyed, just as the scripture says. I think you just ignored the scripture you just gave me, because you don't believe that the lost will be destroyed in hell.

We all die.
Yes, and we will all be resurrected to stand before the judgment seat of Christ where we will either receive eternal life from him or perish.

You did not answer my question. If a person's life is horrific because of the choices he made, is it a life destroyed?
I did answer. The figurative destruction of a life is not the same as the literal destruction of a person.

Is it a life destroyed? What do you mean? Is the person dead? Then no, their life has not really been destroyed. That is a figure of speech. How about the person who went headfirst into a brush chipper? Has their life been destroyed? Yes. That is not a figure of speech.

How about the person who has their body and soul destroyed in Gehenna? Is their body and soul destroyed or are they not destroyed but merely in pain?

Last edited:

God's Truth

No I didn't. It says "fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in hell (Gehenna). I believe that the bodies and souls of the lost will be destroyed, just as the scripture says. I think you just ignored the scripture you just gave me, because you don't believe that the lost will be destroyed in hell.
You have not proven that the lost will cease to live. Being destroyed does not always mean cease to exist.
You do not even believe in the life of our spirits after the death of our physical bodies. How am I speaking about these things with you if you do not even understand that we have spirits that live on?
Is it a life destroyed? What do you mean? Is the person dead? Then no, their life has not really been destroyed. That is a figure of speech. How about the person who went headfirst into a brush chipper? Has their life been destroyed? Yes. That is not a figure of speech.

How about the person who has their body and soul destroyed in Gehenna? Is their body and soul destroyed or are they not destroyed but merely in pain?
You cannot say that destroy means cease to exist.
The world was destroyed by the flood in Noah’s time; does that mean the world ceased to exist?
2 Peter 3:6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.

GuySmiley

Are you saying their life is not destroyed while they are living the way they are living?

Are you saying it is untrue?

Why would destroying your life with sin be an exaggeration?
Because there is always Hope while someone is still breathing. Using the word "destroy" is an exaggeration until that life is *literally* destroyed.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The spirit of humans do not die.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them who kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The soul is a body with its spirit.

We read in Matthew 10 that a man cannot kill the body with its spirit.

So then, how is it you believe the spirit can die?

The scripture is about after the resurrection when God will throw some in the lake of fire.

Is a destroyed life meaning a life that is not living anymore?
Do not those who destroy their lives in this lifetime with sin still live?

You are bearing false witness.

just read your posts

Timotheos

You are a sad case Chrysostom.

Open the Bible read and believe.

You keep speaking lies about me.

Let's discuss the scriptures and not what you think of me.
I believe that Chrysostom has already opened his Bible, read and believed what he read. And I don't see where he has lied about anything.

Chrysostom seems like a good guy.