Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
John 10:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
What is this?

And how long does it last?

Matthew 22:13 KJVA
Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away , and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What is this?

Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away , and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

it could be life
and
you know how long that lasts

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
John 10:28

King James Version (KJV)

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Revelation 2:11

King James Version (KJV)

11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
What is this?

gnashing is hard on your teeth

eventually you'd run out of teeth

:think: unless you were gnashing on somebody else's teeth

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
you are saying

God wants you to suffer eternally
or
God can't do anything about it

neither is acceptable
think again
only
this time think

GuySmiley

The plain reading of scripture is that death is death, and perishing is perishing. You have to stand on your head and come up with "spiritual vs physical death" to make sense out of ECT.

Timotheos

Death is separation, not cessation. Wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions.

Death is death, not separation. Wrong assumptions lead to wrong conclusions.

Genesis 25:8
Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and was gathered to his people.

Abraham died, and he was not "separated". Death is not "separation" without death and the Bible does not say that it is.

Also, the Bible doesn't just say that the wages of sin is death. The Bible also says that the wicked will be destroyed. Destroyed does not mean "Not destroyed but separated". The Bible also says that the lost perish. Perish doesn't mean separation. The Bible says the wicked will be consumed by fire until nothing remains. Being consumed by fire until you are ash which blows away is not separation.

Separation and Death are two different things. Your assumption is in error because of your doctrine.

Timotheos

was he all dead or just mostly dead?

so they could go through his pockets and look for loose change? :chuckle:

if he was all dead, what was gathered to his people?

Nice reference to "The Princess Bride". Miracle Max cracks me up.

Just like funerals today where the whole family gathers to honor the dead person, Abraham was gathered to his family. The whole point of bringing this up is to prove that death does not mean separation as "godrulz" claims. If death is separation, why was dead Abraham "gathered to his people"? If death is separation, the verse would have read, "Abraham died and was separated from his people". Death does not mean separation. Death means the absence of life. It is just like dark being the absence of light, and cold being the absence of heat.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Just like funerals today where the whole family gathers to honor the dead person, Abraham was gathered to his family.

i see

so you read "...Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and his dead body was gathered to his people"

interesting

the kjv has it "gave up the ghost" :idunno:

Timotheos

i see

so you read "...Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and his dead body was gathered to his people"

interesting

I read what is in the Bible, "Abraham breathed his last and died in a good old age, an old man and full of years, and was gathered to his people."

I do not see in that verse that Abraham continued to live on after he died, or that Abraham was separated.