Is it wrong to go trick or treating or to a dress up party on Halloween?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Everyone has a sex. It can usually be told by what they produce- seed or egg.
That's what one should dress according to.

That doesn't really answer the question.

Here's what I find to be pretty funny - I say that I look forward to Halloween every year and Nick wants to bring up my gender issues. I think that says something about him.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
If one is going to get rid of the tradition of Halloween, then it is vain unless one gets rid of the tradition of the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus as well.

The thing is that Halloween does not have such dark roots as people paint it. It is indeed idolatrous, but the truth of the matter is that it simply started out as a Celtic festival in the middle ages which had questionable, yet vague ideals regarding the supernatural. Much time later when Ireland and such became accustomed to Catholicism, Halloween was what became of the day. Halloween means to suppose something holy, and is the day before All Saint's Day.

Pretty much, Halloween has just as much in common with Easter and Christmas as far as it's extra ideals being tagged with a new label. For example, Christmas isn't even the day that Jesus was born. He was rather born sometime in the fall. But we added the celebration to the mix and Santa Claus was born to remember St. Nicholas. Trick-or-treating was meshed into Halloween by a middle age thing in early British culture. I'm not sure about the Easter Bunny, but I'm sure it follows the same idea.
It's just cultural shifting, really, that these holidays are the way they are.

Here's a fun, yet creepy fact: Ring-Around-The-Rosie was derived from the days of the Black Plague, when infected children would dance around in circles. It has nothing to do with roses and everything to do with the black around one's eyes post-plagued. Remember that next time you hear it :D

Anyways, if one is going to put Halloween on the table, one has to put the other two holidays up as well. One cannot really go against dressing up for Halloween if they put a tree at Christmas, in other words.

Last edited:

Ted L Glines

Halloween is a great time to watch the kids having fun and to watch their sheparding parents trying to control their little ghosties and goblins; sort of a momentary Mardi Gras in suburbia.

Few people know or think of its origins: While some folklorists have detected its origins in the Roman feast of Pomona, the goddess of fruits and seeds, or in the festival of the dead called Parentalia, it is more typically linked to the Celtic festival of Samhain; a time for festive gatherings, and medieval Irish texts and later Irish, Welsh, and Scottish folklore use it as a setting for supernatural encounters, but there is no evidence that it was connected with the dead in pre-Christian times, or that pagan religious ceremonies were held.

As long as you restrain yourself and don't go sucking any necks, have fun being a vampire LOL

ragTagblues

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 28th, 2011 12:02 PM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to dress up for halloween and go trick or treating or to go to a dress up party/gathering?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Just another excuse to go out and drink . . . . a worthy cause in my opinion!?!

Cleekster

While i can't see how dressing up as evil mythical creatures adds anything morally positive to society......as long as you aren't harming anyone i say go for it.

some other dude

While i can't see how dressing up as evil mythical creatures adds anything morally positive to society......as long as you aren't harming anyone i say go for it.

majobamamask-420x0.jpg

Todah

It is a holiday the main themes of which are: death, tombs, fear, hauntings, deception, blood and gore, the occult, witches, corpses, and demons.

Most Witches and Satanists , lesbians and homosexuals love this holiday above all others.

Adults in Boulder Colorado love it for drug parties, mayhem, orgies,
and an occasional murder or manslaughter or two. {Surprisingly, Boulder actually started closing down the annual parades, once death became a regular feature of it.}

Children are taught to dress up. and deceive their elders, and threaten them with a protection racket.

The candy they collect is dripping with pure sugar,{the least offensive item} chemical colors and artificial sweeteners, GMO corn syrup, and partially hydrogenated oils.

But it is all in good fun, so I say, what the hey!

dorothy.neville

nice time to practice loving your neighbor...and if your an opportunist like God take advantage of halloween parties to cleverly talk about right and wrong and plant lots of seeds. Why not ...the enemy plants bad seeds. Why not plant good seeds anywhere you can and trust the Holy Spirit to make them grow. The Holy Spirit is really go at that!!

IXOYE

First paragraph, sounds like Xianity.
Second paragraph is pure, unadulterated, instantly made up, "stat " which came from your posterior, not a credible source.

Third paragraph, after the first two is discredited and is most likely grossly, hyperbolically inflated,from a story of a dwi given to a college kid with 3 passengers on jalloween,

You should go study colossians 2 regarding made up things inflating the egos of shallow believers.

It is a holiday the main themes of which are: death, tombs, fear, hauntings, deception, blood and gore, the occult, witches, corpses, and demons.

Most Witches and Satanists , lesbians and homosexuals love this holiday above all others.

Adults in Boulder Colorado love it for drug parties, mayhem, orgies,
and an occasional murder or manslaughter or two. {Surprisingly, Boulder actually started closing down the annual parades, once death became a regular feature of it.}

Children are taught to dress up. and deceive their elders, and threaten them with a protection racket.

The candy they collect is dripping with pure sugar,{the least offensive item} chemical colors and artificial sweeteners, GMO corn syrup, and partially hydrogenated oils.

But it is all in good fun, so I say, what the hey!

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
So a hermaphrodite, or other genetically confused human should dress as a Pushmi pullu horse from Dr suess?

In the case that they produce both seed and egg, then they have a choice. It's no coincidence, however, that most of them decide to be a female. Being a female is generally more giving, you see. If they are not honest bout it, only one being really knows.,

It's interesting that the bible does not touch base on it specifically despite how it doesn't shy around on much.

IXOYE

In the case that they produce both seed and egg, then they have a choice. It's no coincidence, however, that most of them decide to be a female. Being a female is generally more giving, you see. If they are not honest bout it, only one being really knows.,

It's interesting that the bible does not touch base on it specifically despite how it doesn't shy around on much.

You seem like a sincere and nice Guy.

But, respectfully, you don't understand the least bit about the life of someone who has genetic gender issues. I'm not talking trannies. There are physiological issues that cause gender questions that are misunderstood by everyone they meet in life. The psychological anguish piled on top of that from growing up being told that they or their parents pissed off God, called freaks so much they accept it. Going through more psychological trauma that any dozen genetically normal kids go through, they are in a pickle. They can make decisions, but they have no choice

Same as a child sexually molested as a child,, they have little to no choice in how they behave. The trauma they faced and had to deal with, affects their behavior the rest of their life. What is an obvious decision to a healthy child, may nit even be a possibility to a child who was molested by the person they are genetically wired to trust, a parent or other close relative. And before the age of 20ish, physiologically their brains are literally not wired to handle that sort of experience in even a "normal" event. Much less a traumatic one..
The Church as a whole oversimplifies these issues to the point of "ludicrousity" (like that new word?) The damage it causes pushes more of God's children away from His house, than it beings in to be fed, washed, and served

I would encourage you to read more on this before feeling you understand it.

Thank you for hearing my rant.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
You seem like a sincere and nice Guy.

But, respectfully, you don't understand the least bit about the life of someone who has genetic gender issues. I'm not talking trannies. There are physiological issues that cause gender questions that are misunderstood by everyone they meet in life. The psychological anguish piled on top of that from growing up being told that they or their parents pissed off God, called freaks so much they accept it. Going through more psychological trauma that any dozen genetically normal kids go through, they are in a pickle. They can make decisions, but they have no choice

Same as a child sexually molested as a child,, they have little to no choice in how they behave. The trauma they faced and had to deal with, affects their behavior the rest of their life. What is an obvious decision to a healthy child, may nit even be a possibility to a child who was molested by the person they are genetically wired to trust, a parent or other close relative. And before the age of 20ish, physiologically their brains are literally not wired to handle that sort of experience in even a "normal" event. Much less a traumatic one..
The Church as a whole oversimplifies these issues to the point of "ludicrousity" (like that new word?) The damage it causes pushes more of God's children away from His house, than it beings in to be fed, washed, and served

I would encourage you to read more on this before feeling you understand it.

Thank you for hearing my rant.

The thing about it as it relates to the Bible is that if you read through Leviticus or anything pertaining to Mosaic Law, birth defects were dealt with in a very desensitizing manner. To say the least.
But since Jesus died for us, such things do not matter. The body is part of the body of Christ, as noted in the New Testament. Therefore, the troubles that such people face is due to others not not following Christ. Christians are wrong, very wrong, in ridiculing which cannot be helped of one's body.

However, it is a Christians duty to treat their body well, and by extension, be true to their physical self. If one is unfortunate to have a sexual defect, then they need to be honest about what gender they go about. Otherwise, they are going to turn their involuntary status into a life long sin. If they are dishonest, they are being idolatrous and are treading on grounds of homosexuality if they venture into a relationship.
The biggest sin, however, is not those things, but rather looking for the approval of society rather then God. That is where I feel the big issue is.

I understand that people with such defects have a much harder time, but the Bible states that if one turns to God, He will turn those hardships into one's advantage. That's one of the most powerful aspect of having God in one's life.
Another thing to note is the object of secrets. Secrets are bad, bad, bad. The Bible stomps on them, because they are deceiving bits of baggage that leads to all sorts of things. One simply just needs to be honest with themselves and others, and let it run it's course.

Alate_One

Well you tell me Nick, what's a guy that got both flavours of puberty when he was 17 supposed to wear?

I haven't added anything. I have never had any cosmetic surgery or taken any hormone replacement. I'm 100% natural. I thought I explained this very clearly.
I totally missed that thread, sorry I did. Anyone that studies intro biology knows that sex is not always cut and dried. People can be born XXY (Klinefelter's) as well as other types of intersex syndromes. (There are XX males and XY females)

Granted that the vast majority of gay people are not in this category, I think everyone MUST acknowledge there are people in this situation (it's biology . . .) and extend mercy accordingly.

With respect to the OP, I was about 8 when we "decided" I shouldn't go out on Halloween anymore. I've been pining for the dressing up bit ever since. The origins of the holiday aren't so nice but at this point it's pretty much harmless fun for the kiddies. And making costumes fosters creativity etc. It's a good thing :)