ECT IS ACTS 2:38 and verse 39 MISUNDERSTOOD , YES IT IS !!

iamaberean

Hi and do you see any difference between Matt 28:19 , where it is stated for the 12 to Baptize in the name of the FATHER and of nthe SON and of the Holy Spirit FOR in Acts 2:38 , they are to BAPTIZED in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of SINS and ( YE SHALL RECEIVE ) in the brackets is a verb in the FUTURE TENSE !??

Explain please !

Why the FUTURE TENSE verb ?

And why did it is only Baptism in the name of Jesus Christ was CHANGED ??

dan p!

The future tense shows that when one repents and is baptized in Jesus name, then, immediately afterwards, they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which is eternal life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Interplanner

The future tense shows that when one repents and is baptized in Jesus name, then, immediately afterwards, they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which is eternal life.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[/SIZE]

Not to divide up the Trinity too much, but I've never heard 'eternal life' designated as the Spirit's gift. And if we are trying to clear up the 'times of refreshing' that is a this-world thing. That is definitely not eternal life, although justification from sins does create changes in this-world. 'Times of refreshing' comes from various OT prophets about the Spirit's work once Messiah had completed his. It was the mission of God to the nations. It would take dusty, ingrown Judaism and become living water to all the nations.

iamaberean

Not to divide up the Trinity too much, but I've never heard 'eternal life' designated as the Spirit's gift. And if we are trying to clear up the 'times of refreshing' that is a this-world thing. That is definitely not eternal life, although justification from sins does create changes in this-world. 'Times of refreshing' comes from various OT prophets about the Spirit's work once Messiah had completed his. It was the mission of God to the nations. It would take dusty, ingrown Judaism and become living water to all the nations.

1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Joh 6:50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Interplanner

1Jn 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
1Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Joh 6:50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Thanks for the passages about eternal life. there is nothing there about it being a particular gift of the Spirit.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks for the passages about eternal life. there is nothing there about it being a particular gift of the Spirit.

The Spirit is the gift.

Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

LA

Interplanner

The Spirit is the gift.

Act 11:16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

LA

OK...but I don't know why he was connecting the gift of the Spirit so tightly to eternal life

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
OK...but I don't know why he was connecting the gift of the Spirit so tightly to eternal life

Danoh

You still haven't disproved Interplanner's point as being off.