but
you can get away with insinuating that they are dishonest
and
you do that by saying

you don't believe that
you don't mean that
you don't think that

let your yes be yes , no be no

i prefer to let people speak for themselves, of course if someone doubts my sincerity they are perfectly free to challenge anything I say, i do wish more people were honest and polite about it

even if they are a bit misguided, we all make mistakes

the problem with being human is that we often fail to see our own mistakes, and seldom want to hear about them from others

presuming they are correctly pointing out a mistake we made in the first place, sometimes 2 wrongs just make it wrong wrong

blind leading the blind

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
you can't get away with calling certain people a liar
but
you can get away with insinuating that they are dishonest
and
you do that by saying

you don't believe that
you don't mean that
you don't think that
Sometimes it's a way of saying, "There's no way for you to believe it, consistent with your position else."

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Sometimes it's a way of saying, "There's no way for you to believe it, consistent with your position else."

what is not consistent about my positions?

I am against abortion
the republican party is against abortion
so
I vote republican
and
I think every christian should do so

what is not consistent about that?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
what is not consistent about my positions?
Let's look at one or two things, by way of example (though I already set out the why of my use, if memory serves).
I am against abortion
You call people baby killers for supporting people who support abortion then vote for candidates who also (inarguably after a narrower fashion) favor abortion while not calling yourself a baby killer or attempting to destroy the party that allows/puts them in a position of leadership, to note one problem. You also take the rationally uphill, longer battle against a party over the much easier "move the single issue" approach, to note a thing you intentionally and repeatedly, actually dodge in this sort of conversation, literally without commenting on it.

the republican party is against abortion
No, they say they are in their planks. Then they put people into positions of leadership who a) don't build anything with it and b) oppose it by way of personal exceptions.

I think every christian should do so
More's the pity. I think Christians should move the issue regardless of their larger political affiliations.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
what do the democrats say in their planks?
See, you're doing it again. We both know the answer to that question and it's only a way of you avoiding taking on the response.

Here's the point: it doesn't matter what either put in their planks if neither are obligated to follow it. So long as Republicans leave their conviction on the point for rhetoric instead of action it will be nothing more or less than a political ploy and degree that separates them from those Dems who agree with their own party plank.

So band together with those in any party, from Dems to Libertarians to Republicans to the Green Party members interested in actually doing something on the point.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
what is it based on?
and
it does matter

I do not appreciate you following me around
and
telling others what I really mean

as if you really know

Follow you around? Don't flatter yourself.

As far as telling others what they really mean or what their beliefs are, *you* do that every time you accuse others of supporting abortion.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Follow you around? Don't flatter yourself.

As far as telling others what they really mean or what their beliefs are, *you* do that every time you accuse others of supporting abortion.

you are supporting abortion
if
you don't vote republican
because
the democratic party supports abortion
and
it does make a difference

shagster01

if
because
and

Republican president Richard Nixon appointed Justice Harry Blackmun, who went on to rule in favor of abortion in Roe v Wade. He travelled around for the rest of his tenure promoting the woman's right to choose.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Republican president Richard Nixon appointed Justice Harry Blackmun, who went on to rule in favor of abortion in Roe v Wade. He travelled around for the rest of his tenure promoting the woman's right to choose.

that was then
this is now

the two judges appointed by obama
sotomayor and kagan
the two judges appointed by clinton
all support unconditional abortion

the five republican judges do not

it is the judges stupid
the ones on the court

now

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I just assumed that people on TOL use innuendo because if they said what they really think they would get banned, right????

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...chrys, you need a hobby.

It's mostly what he does with his self appointed grand inquisitor shtick, though there's nothing wrong with inference any more than there's something questionable about metaphor.

And the "see what I did there" is mostly a tag I use answer any question on whether or not I meant a thing to carry something in addition to the literal. In the old days when I layered a bit I'd frequently follow it with (either) for the same reason.

Chrys knows that, but can't sell his frustration and anger with it, so he tries this approach to it. Goofy waste of time.

Which is exactly what I consider when I respond ... he gets back exactly what he puts into it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if
because
and

You have bought into the lie that the Republican party does not support abortion so you are supporting abortion and supporting their lie.

Daniel1611

The GOP has pro-life family-values champions like Scott Dejarlais (R-TN) whose wife had two abortions, and he talked his mistress into one, too. And this hypocrite is now in his third term, unlike any fetus he ever conceived. So glad the GOP has pro-life warriors like this.