Indiana Pizza Shop 1st to Publicly Say It Would Deny Same-Sex Service

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How was the poll question phrased?

"Businesses should have the right to refuse services to certain people or groups based on religious beliefs."

53.9% disagreed
27.5 agreed
18.6 unsure

"Businesses should not be allowed to discriminate (by refusing services or a job) because of their religious beliefs."

60.3% agree
23.2 disagree
16.5 unsure

"Businesses should have the right not to hire certain people or groups based on the employer’s religious beliefs."

56.2% disagreed
26.5 agreed
17.3% unsure

Appears to get even stronger inside the millenials (18-34) where support for laws combating discrimination along orientation lines is as strong as 65%.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You know why I can't take the religious right seriously? Because they rant about how sexual immorality is so bad, yet never seem to introduce legislation to criminalize adultery, which is a FAR bigger problem than homosexuality.

Why is that? Because you don't want to arrest half of the church goers?
We're not politicians, least of all legislators.

Well, then why isn't every other thread in the politics section about adultery (aka, "The Bigger Problem")?
It's because nobody is condoning it.

Where is the church saying adultery is not a sin, and when can i see an adultery parade for adulterers rights?

Where is there pressure being put on the church and christians to receive adultery as being ok with God and having our religious freedom removed over adultery?

Did you know adultery used to be a crime too like homosexual acts?

Liberals are who ended the laws on adultery just like homosexual sex.
Exactly!

Show me adulterers out demanding special rights and demanding that we sanction protections for it and when people are getting sued for disagreeing with it, and when it trumps religious freedom and when saying it is wrong becomes a crime.

You see that happening, then youll see tons of threads on it.

Even most secular people agree that adultery is wrong. No one is advocating it here, so why would there need to be tons of threads on it?
:thumb:

You need to the church to declare it not a sin and parades before you get outraged?

Christians aren't having your religious freedom removed over adultery because nobody is refusing to serve adulterers. Christian businesses gladly accept their business.

I addressed this already here http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4283646&postcount=381

Did you know that it still is illegal in 23 states, but every single cop in those states are clearly liberal, which is why it's not enforced?

And, of course, every single one of the MILLIONS of adulterers in this country are also liberal, because conservatives are against it, right?
How are we supposed to know if someone is an adulterer?

By "special" rights I assume you mean the "special" right to marry and the "special" right to have pizza at your wedding.

Adulterers already have those "special" rights. I didn't hear the pizza shop say they will refuse to cater a known adulterer's wedding.

So as long as people say it's wrong we can let it carry on the normal.
Adulterers can't have weddings.

I certainly don't support everything the company I work for does. But I still do my work and accept my paycheck.

Many times I think the company has horrible ideas. But I still execute them to the best of my abilities even while NOT supporting them.
Do you make your protest known?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes, we are.

Romans 1:32 Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
Do you think that a caterer is necessarily approving and celebrating any and all marriages they cater for?

You aren't being made to give approval. No one can make you do that and I even suggested a way to make your disapproval plain as a witness.

Just because the Klan uses linen to no good end it doesn't mean Bed Bath & Beyond is supporting or approving of them by selling sheets.
But that's not a good analogy, as Angel has already pointed out. If BB&B made special sheets for a Klan rally at their request then it wouldn't be as easy to say they aren't supporting it.

It also doesn't necessarily mean that you are. But there is at least the question of why would someone give practical support and profit from something they are against.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
By failing to comply with Romans and answering to the legal authority?

God wants us to obey lawful authority.

Im glad to see you are in support of chinese women following their law to abort their kids past one of them.

Yes - you are, the legal authorities in china force abortions and limit children. Do you believe God would have them doing that?

Your argument about the legal authorities is a bad one, we are not to follow a man made law when it trumps what God would have us do.

rougueone

Going public to deny service has proven profitable those who do. About $ 100,000 in a month for a bakery shop. let's see how the pizza shop does.
Look taking a stand for Jesus comes at a price. Not a profit. Eventually the Government will revoke or deny a business licence to those who refuse service to anyone of the LGBT ( an initialism that stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people ). And may make it a criminal offence. Civil lawsuits may start. Then the local churches may also be held civilly or criminally accountable.
I ask how many of these people asked before they sold a dozen donuts to the customer, " are you a homosexual" ? When we shop do we ask the check out person are you a homosexual" ? If they say " Yes", do we walk out with our groceries on the belt ?
If I am asked before I buy groceries, " Are you a sinner"? I say yes. Am I to be denied service ?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes - you are, the legal authorities in china force abortions and limit children. Do you believe God would have them doing that?
Of course not.

Your argument about the legal authorities is a bad one,
No, the simplified version you're arguing against would be, but we both know that isn't my argument because I've made it and it's different.

Here's the larger answer. I'll highlight the part you overlooked:
...Im glad to see you are in support of chinese women following their law to abort their kids past one of them.
I'm not. I'm arguing you haven't made a case that selling a cake in accordance with the law should be reasonably viewed as supporting homosexuality, where a prima facie case exists that taking an innocent life is violative of one of the Ten Commandments.
Or, I'm not arguing that we have to blindly support Caesar attempting to take what isn't Caesar's, but you haven't made the case that the baker is doing that. You've made the case (or the baker has) that he doesn't like it, which is something else.

we are not to follow a man made law when it trumps what God would have us do.
Supra.

...But that's not a good analogy, as Angel has already pointed out. If BB&B made special sheets for a Klan rally at their request then it wouldn't be as easy to say they aren't supporting it.
Why not? Do they have a "Go Klan!" sign in the store? Is there a special "Klan Discount"? Or are they simply behaving the way they would if literally anyone came in to place the order?

Because if the answer to that is yes it's a very good analogy on the point (and I suspect that would be the answer).

But there is at least the question of why would someone give practical support and profit from something they are against.
The moment you say support you've made a decision you only just said couldn't reasonably be read in, which is rather my point. You need something more and other to know the corporate attitude and pronounce it.

Just so, absent the baker being made to write its support out in the cake, which no one can make them do, there's nothing signified beyond commerce.

rougueone

Your argument about the legal authorities is a bad one, we are not to follow a man made law when it trumps what God would have us do.

"....we are not to follow a man made law when it trumps what God would have us do."
What would GOD have us do ? I am a sinner. Should I be denied a pizza ?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
"....we are not to follow a man made law when it trumps what God would have us do."
What would GOD have us do ? I am a sinner. Should I be denied a pizza ?

nope, and neither did the people in the op deny anyone a pizza, i suggest you read the thread.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Just because the Klan uses linen to no good end it doesn't mean Bed Bath & Beyond is supporting or approving of them by selling sheets.

should bb&b be allowed, legally, to refuse to sell to klan members who make clear their intention to use the sheets for klan robes?

God wants us to obey lawful authority.

the us government allows its citizens to murder children

in what way do you defend the us government as "lawful"? :freak:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Well that's the whole point: No, you're not. You're getting paid for a service, otherwise known as "running a business." To "support" someone's nuptials seems to imply there's some gay voodoo going on that changes your heart and mind and tricks you into being a gay marriage advocate.

How can you support something you disagree with? Spoiler: You can't. Baking a flippin' cake isn't an endorsement of any given couple. It's what you're being paid to do. If you like think of this as keeping your fingers crossed behind your back. Your beliefs remain intact and sincere and you've got more cash in the till than you did before. The fear really seems to be...being mistaken for pro-gay, or something.

so you’d have no qualms forcing a jewish bakery to bake a cake for a skinhead celebration that said “all jews into the ovens”?

But ideas have consequences and I oppose unfair or dangerous ones.

But you’re willing to embrace retarded ones :think:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Christians aren't having your religious freedom removed over adultery because nobody is refusing to serve adulterers. Christian businesses gladly accept their business.

if an adulterer asked a Christian baker to make him a cake celebrating his adultery, you don’t think they’d refuse?