I'm Just here to offset Cruciform

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They also can't be made religious or sacramental in any way. Why would I want them to be "Catholic?" I don't want to create the Catholic States of America.

You are not going to be able to reconcile your interpretation of the permissability of same-sex unions with what Catholicism actually says.
If a Catholic writes his own rules for all the doctrinal positions of the Church, then why is he Catholic at all?

I found it. I posted. I'm not that interested.
Okay.

Because it most clearly conveys what I believe.
If you're Catholic, you believe what the Church believes. Why be Catholic otherwise?

What do you think Jesus meant when He said "God wants mercy, not sacrifice?"
What do you think Jesus meant when he said to pick up our cross and follow Him?

Yes. I think God gets to have His way.
Universalism is not Catholic.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This will work better if you think of my part as being voiced by Norm McDonald.

... If a Catholic writes his own rules for all the doctrinal positions of the Church, then why is he Catholic at all?
Best guess? It's the cool hats. :D

If you're Catholic, you believe what the Church believes. Why be Catholic otherwise?
Supra. Which I have on good authority is Latin for hats.

What do you think Jesus meant when he said to pick up our cross and follow Him?
If you went by some around here you'd be looking like crazy for a cross to pick up.

It's finally happened. I have to get a better dictionary. :poly:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Hmmm...apparently I'm not the only one who sees that you have formed your own personal interpretation of what is Catholic:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2688243&postcount=132

I'm heading into a period of busyness where I'm not going to have time to follow a conversation here. So I'll just make a last observation:

I am glad for that Grace which drew you to the Catholic Church. God works in mysterious ways, and He always calls, always waits on us to listen to Him. However - you are not finished yet. You seem to have worked out your own personal flavor of Catholic, and it doesn't work that way. The beauty of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church is that we, as members, are meant to be of one mind, thinking with the mind of the Church. We don't get to make our own rules, or make our own allowances. You can be in any number of denominations where that is allowable. Yes, God is love, yes, we are to be perfect as He is perfect, including in love. But real love includes pointing always to what is true, not what is comfortable or self-satisfying. Some of what you hold dear is not Catholic, and if I haven't used charity in telling you this, it is my failing.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Best guess? It's the cool hats. :D

For converts, I'd say that the hats are more of a hurdle than anything else. :chuckle:

Supra. Which I have on good authority is Latin for hats.
I'm quite sure you know more Latin than I, so you must be right. :p

If you went by some around here you'd be looking like crazy for a cross to pick up.
Something which mystifies me completely. That could be an entire thread in itself.

It's finally happened. I have to get a better dictionary. :poly:
I love it when that happens. :D

Refractive

Anyway, I have to tell you that I generally like Cruciform, though I don't always agree with him. I hope it will be the same with you :wave:
Hi, Nichol's mom!! That's actually my name, too, only my daughter's name wasn't B NIchol" - but same thing! She's pushing 40 now and guess what my name still is... LOL!

Cruce is okay, I don't want him to go away, I just want to sit on the other end of the teeter-totter.

Refractive

You are not going to be able to reconcile your interpretation of the permissibility of same-sex unions with what Catholicism actually says.
I already did.

If you're Catholic, you believe what the Church believes.
Well, Anne, the Church believes in one holy, apostolic, universal church. As do I.

No, but we are not "Catholic" we are Christians, and as such what Jesus Christ says is the standard. And according to Him, God doesn't want a single stray to be lost. And according to the Church, none have to be.

I have no idea what "Universalism" is and don't care. But I do know that to believe all will be saved, is as Catholic as it gets. I think it's unfortunate you don't know that.

Peace of Christ be with you.

nicholsmom

Hi, Nichol's mom!! That's actually my name, too, only my daughter's name wasn't B NIchol" - but same thing! She's pushing 40 now and guess what my name still is... LOL!
I don't have any children named Nichol :nono: I'm the mom of a tribe of Nichols kids - well, only 6, but it seems enough for me.

nicholsmom

Hmmm...apparently I'm not the only one who sees that you have formed your own personal interpretation of what is Catholic:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2688243&postcount=132

I'm heading into a period of busyness where I'm not going to have time to follow a conversation here. So I'll just make a last observation:

I am glad for that Grace which drew you to the Catholic Church. God works in mysterious ways, and He always calls, always waits on us to listen to Him. However - you are not finished yet. You seem to have worked out your own personal flavor of Catholic, and it doesn't work that way. The beauty of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church is that we, as members, are meant to be of one mind, thinking with the mind of the Church. We don't get to make our own rules, or make our own allowances. You can be in any number of denominations where that is allowable. Yes, God is love, yes, we are to be perfect as He is perfect, including in love. But real love includes pointing always to what is true, not what is comfortable or self-satisfying. Some of what you hold dear is not Catholic, and if I haven't used charity in telling you this, it is my failing.

Unity of believers is such a common theme in the NT. We dismiss it to our harm.

Refractive

It is truly comforting to know that people here are so exceptionally advanced in their Catholicity.

I'm pretty sure I should be genuflecting to y'all at least...

Let's see, how does that go? ::eek:n bended knee except after C::...no wait...... hmmmmmm - maybe I better Google it..... gee, I shoulda been payin' attention that one time I went to Mass back on '06....

Refractive

Tom Lehrer!?! You are after my own heart. No wonder the staunch Romans are after you with pitchforks. They voted satire out in the council of Trent.
Thing about Lehrer - no meanness in his work. Just very clever. They put out a new CD of his work, yanno. I heard it was "Gift Album of 2011."