I'm Just here to offset Cruciform

Refractive

I like Cruciform! Am I the only one?
I like him, too. I like his passion and his complete and utter lack of hypocrisy, his determined faithfulness and am quite sure in his soul he is far, and I mean far, superior to me. But, such persons often give the impression that the reality of their perception of the Church is the reality for all, and it just isn't.

Sometimes the trad cath gives us a few too many books that form a wall between other posters or lurkers and God. I just want to make sure there's a couple gates in the wall, from my lowly perspective.

Refractive

He's hard core, old school, Catholic. (my impression, not saying I'm any sort of Catholic expert) Because of that, I find his posts interesting even when I disagree. I'm sure my grandmother would LOVE him. :)

-------------------------

Welcome refractive.
You have a picture of Mr Rogers! So inspiring a man: Saint Fred.

(latest Catholic issue on my mind follows: )
Two weeks ago I went to my uncle's funeral at a Catholic church. They prayed the rosary. Holy Mary Mother of God there a LOT of beads on a rosary. :) Sorry... It was really long.

Why do they do pray the rosary at a funeral? The priest didn't really explain it. It was interspersed with short scripture readings, which the priest suggested non-Catholics should focus on.
I dunno. They don't at every funeral. Was it during the Mass or before or after? Anyway, see, the Rosary originally, was what people had instead of Bibles. Really weren't any Bibles around, and no one could read them anyway. A full Rosary is what you sat through, done five times. Maybe six now a that Blessed JPII added the Mysteries of Light. So, be thankful, eh?! A person could have the Gospels through the Rosary by meditating on those Mysteries you heard them announcing, which are the Life of Christ, basically. Like an outline.

Anyway - why at a funeral? Did you understand what they were saying? "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death." I would say, they were sending their beloved on the way and asking Mary to pray for the departed especially. But maybe the Presider just likes to do that.

I hope someone says a Rosary for me after I pass.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Cruciform] I like him, too. I like his passion and his complete and utter lack of hypocrisy, his determined faithfulness and am quite sure in his soul he is far, and I mean far, superior to me...
He is, too. :eek:linger: Pr 6:16,17; 16:5

Last edited:

Refractive

Hi Ref, always glad to see a fellow catholic around.

This place is all about that "commentary on how that works"!

What did you convert from?

see ya around...
Hi, Sheila! United Church of Christ.

Exactamundo. The LORD God cannot "love" anyone into His presence.
Holy smoke, john, did you just put the words "The LORD God cannot" in that order into a sentence?

Isn't that like the penultimate oxymoron?

Hi, Refractive. :wave:
Hi, back: :wave2:

Love the Isaiah quote.

Welcome to the fray!

When you have the time, search out posts by fellow Catholic Evoken. You would do well to emulate this man's witness for that which he holds dear. Evoken is a man that Cruciform would do well to aspire to in his efforts.

AMR
I'll keep an eye out for him, thanks.

To all I must say: I have posted on forums for almost twenty years, made I can't even count how many Introductory posts and this is by far the best thread ever of those. Love the way y'all just took the thread, went off and had some discussion and let me see you in action. Seems a great place.

I'm going to try really hard not to get banned.

WAIT - some tell me how to upload an icon, please? Or do you have to be here a while?

Last edited:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
You have a picture of Mr Rogers! So inspiring a man: Saint Fred.

I dunno. They don't at every funeral. Was it during the Mass or before or after? Anyway, see, the Rosary originally, was what people had instead of Bibles. Really weren't any Bibles around, and no one could read them anyway. A full Rosary is what you sat through, done five times. Maybe six now a that Blessed JPII added the Mysteries of Light. So, be thankful, eh?! A person could have the Gospels through the Rosary by meditating on those Mysteries you heard them announcing, which are the Life of Christ, basically. Like an outline.

Anyway - why at a funeral? Did you understand what they were saying? "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death." I would say, they were sending their beloved on the way and asking Mary to pray for the departed especially. But maybe the Presider just likes to do that.

I hope someone says a Rosary for me after I pass.
Thanks, and yeah, Saint Fred rocks. :)
It was before the Mass, they basically started off with it. I think they did at least a whole lap. It was about 45 minutes.
I actually googled and found this website, and read a bunch of it.
http://www.ourladyweb.com/mary-rosary.html
So assuming that is a decent source, I know a lot more about the rosary than I did. I'm guessing it was on behalf of the departed and has to do with purgatory or rewards.

/salute

v45

Refractive

It was before the Mass, they basically started off with it. I think they did at least a whole lap. It was about 45 minutes.
http://www.ourladyweb.com/mary-rosary.html
So assuming that is a decent source, I know a lot more about the rosary than I did. I'm guessing it was on behalf of the departed and has to do with purgatory or rewards.

/salute

v45
Wow, 45 minutes? It takes about 10-12 minutes to say "one lap" (love that!) so it sounds like they did a few. Anyone can say a Rosary, BTW, I know a Jewish woman who swears by it. I think various Protestant demoninations have differing theologies of the dead. Catholics are all like little mediums, we talk to our Saints and departed loved ones all the time and believe very much that our prayers assist them in their journey to what some call the Beatific Vision. I know some Protestants believe no one can be helped after death.

As for the funeral, sounds like something that is a family thing or a traditional pre-funeral practice at that Parish and not part of the Mass proper.

This kind of focused prayer with a dedication to a time, a number of repetitions, the small sacrifice of Time, is a pretty powerful spiritual deal. Mary can be a deal-breaker. You might Google Chaplet of Divine Mercy. You can use a Rosary or string together your old fishing sinkers or buttons to count on and it's pretty all-Christian friendly if you'd like to try it. Skip whatever is "too Catholic" and just pray for Jesus' Mercy on us all.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

(BTW - every time I see "Colorado" on someone's profile things I'm just so freakin homesick. Feel blessed.)

Refractive

I wanted to say that I was never on a forum before where you were so restricted as a newbie you couldn't even search your own forum posts, subscribe to threads you post in so you can find them again or respond to people who post comments. But I can't and it feels like I'm being pretty rude to posters who took the time to stop by or who answered me in a thread I probably forgot. I hope when my probationary period is up, I'll be able to respond.

Until then, thanks.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I am not pro "traditional" marriage, I am pro-Sacramental marriage. I am also pro-separation of Church and state and think civil unions are a dandy idea long overdue and have a hard time believing any person of Christian compassion could possibly oppose them.

Please define your understanding of sacramental marriage. Is it between one man and one woman?

I have no idea what you, personally, mean by "liberation theology." I am pro-Jesus Christ.
That which was defined by Cardinal Ratzinger in his Instruction of Certain Aspects of "Theology of Liberation."

As for liturgical abuse, not that fussed about it.

As for the whole obedient to the teachings of the Magesterium, well, I can't imagine that "obedience" is something I'd ever strive for. Understanding, yes.
That's pretty much what I was expecting.

Refractive

Please define your understanding of sacramental marriage.
Sacramental marriage has been defined by the Church. I'm a big fan of it. For Catholics.

That which was defined by Cardinal Ratzinger in his Instruction of Certain Aspects of "Theology of Liberation."
You know, I can read it, you can read it, we can come away with very different ideas. So my original question stands: I have no idea what you mean by liberation theology. How about you stop being coy and just ask me a straightforward question about whatever heresy you think I am committed to?

That's pretty much what I was expecting.
You were expecting me to want to understand the teachings of the Magesterium? Good, I expect you want to, also. As well as strive to do so as much as I do.

Hmmmm. Or perhaps you believe that because obedience isn't high on my list of "Things to do with the Magesterium on a Rainy Night in New England" that I am disobeying in some way? Which way would that be? Thinking and speaking?

Did Jesus say something about judging not lest ye be judged or has the Magesterium not commented on that, yet?

bucksplasher

Hello

Hello

and welcome.

Notice how hello has hell already in it? Seems like you'll add some insight and a different prospective to the mix.

Hang around.

tWINs

ICameBack

And for Cruciform- while his form can be abrasive, his love of Christ is unquestioned. I like the guy. I can see there shall be some lively discussion and I'm game. And to all the haters (and I can see how he rubbed their rhubarb the wrong way) just remember Christ's commandment- "Love one another as I have loved you" We often forget that one, myself included

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Sacramental marriage has been defined by the Church. I'm a big fan of it. For Catholics.

So who's being coy? If you're a proponent of same-sex unions, just say so.

You know, I can read it, you can read it, we can come away with very different ideas. So my original question stands: I have no idea what you mean by liberation theology. How about you stop being coy and just ask me a straightforward question about whatever heresy you think I am committed to?

I read it. If you have, let me know, and we can pick a point of discussion.

Did Jesus say something about judging not lest ye be judged or has the Magesterium not commented on that, yet?

I know what I'm looking for. So far I'm not finding it.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Brother, we cannot win Romans back to Christ by condemning them as much as they condemn us Luke 6:37

Read on to Lk 6:38. :thumb: We are to judge righteously (Pr 31:9). :listen: You don't need to compliment modern-day Pharisees :eek:linger: (Mt 15:9), Lefty :Commie: (Eccl 10:2).

Last edited:

Sheila B

Very, very few people are well enough informed to make that distinction. There are indeed some very significant differences, but most people assume that one is basically the same as the other.

What are those differences? I for one thought Traditionalist was conservative...:dead: I would appreciate being informed! :D I can then know what camp I'm in!! (split-P's and split-C's?)