I'm Just here to offset Cruciform

Sheila B

I hope someone says a Rosary for me after I pass.

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure and privielge of sitting vigil with a Catholic lady who was was passing away. She was 82. I was with her for two hours and it was very beautiful. We (I) prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Rosary, sang many Marian hymns to her, and gave her Holy Water blessings, etc. It was a very beautiful death.

When your time comes, I will certainly pray for your dear soul. Maybe you can return the favor.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Very, very few people are well enough informed to make that distinction. There are indeed some very significant differences, but most people assume that one is basically the same as the other.

why don't you start a thread about this?

I think there would be interest

Sheila B

Catholics are all like little mediums, we talk to our Saints and departed loved ones all the time and believe very much that our prayers assist them in their journey to what some call the Beatific Vision.

Isn't it great!!??

I used to sit in Church (Baptist) and after a rousing sermon on King David, I would say to my husband "We are going to know all these folks in heaven." I always had a strong family sense about heaven so "I believe in the communion of the saints" fit hand in glove when I came on board.

20 years you have been on forums? I did not know they had been around that long.

Refractive

And for Cruciform- while his form can be abrasive, his love of Christ is unquestioned. I like the guy. I can see there shall be some lively discussion and I'm game. And to all the haters (and I can see how he rubbed their rhubarb the wrong way) just remember Christ's commandment- "Love one another as I have loved you" We often forget that one, myself included
I challenge him a lot and will keep doing so, but never doubt` that I am glad he is here. We need the Cruciforms, I think we need a Ref once in a while, too!

Refractive

So who's being coy? If you're a proponent of same-sex unions, just say so.
I already said so, in the first post you quoted! Let me see if I can recall: I am a fan of sacramental marriage and of civil unions. I've been advocating domestic partnerships for years, along with taking the word "marriage" out of the law that would govern civil union. I've said the first part clearly ITT.

I read it. If you have, let me know, and we can pick a point of discussion.
I read it a long time ago. Why not pick whatever part you are interested in, start a thread, post a link here and I'll be happy to join you. Then everyone can discuss it.

I know what I'm looking for. So far I'm not finding it.
I doubt you will. No, wait. I'm pretty sure you won't. I'm not here to join the knee-jerk Trad Cath Brigade. Search and read my posts and I think you'll be able to get your mind all made up and stop wasting your time here.

You want to know what I believe? I believe in One God, the Father, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth. I believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, Eternally Begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Light. I believe in one Holy, Universal, Apostolic Church. I believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and Life everlasting.

I believe God wants mercy more than sacrifice. I believe God wants everyone to be saved. I believe every single person is a beautiful and beloved child of God in their soul and I imagine most of them are far better than I. But I also know God loves me and Trust in the Mercy of Christ and the transformative power of the Holy Spirit.

I believe prayer is the most powerful tool at the disposal of humanity.

What do you believe?

Refractive

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure and privielge of sitting vigil with a Catholic lady who was was passing away. She was 82. I was with her for two hours and it was very beautiful. We (I) prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet, Rosary, sang many Marian hymns to her, and gave her Holy Water blessings, etc. It was a very beautiful death.

When your time comes, I will certainly pray for your dear soul. Maybe you can return the favor.
I wish I could have been there! What a lovely thing to be part of. Thank you for praying for me. I believe I'll pray for your soul today. There's no time in Eternity, so I will just intend it for your passing. God can stick it in the prayer vault and take it out when needed.

God bless you abundantly.

Refractive

I always had a strong family sense about heaven so "I believe in the communion of the saints" fit hand in glove when I came on board.

20 years you have been on forums? I did not know they had been around that long.
You were "pre-adapted" to Catholicism! I was, too. I didn't even know as a Protestant we didn't believe the bread and wine/juice were the Body and Blood of Christ. I always thought so. He said so. I was actually in RCIA before I found out what my old church didn't believe!

Let's see, 20 years. First we had things like rec.gambling.com. They were very primitive bulletin boards for the general public. I think a lot of the old are archived someplace. They had them for all sorts of interests. But we also had AOL and Prodigy. AOL was the nuts as far as forums, pretty much everything forums are now, was developed at AOL. I may have already said my earthly service was being the first to use and popularize op for "original post" and OP for Original Poster.

We started most of the basic cyberslang in the chatrooms and forums (BTW, FWIW, IIRC) And it was mostly grown-ups then. We said the Rosary online together. Sounds weird but it was really great when you did it. (Now they have this site http://www.comepraytherosary.org/ - I just looked, 58 people worldwide are praying the Rosary together right now. I'll be there after a bit.)

The Catholic forums at AOL were epic. They were great wrangles of the faithful arguing every Vat2 decision. Prayer threads with "prayer ninjas" devoted to each other's lives and welfare and the world's. Priests posted, priests argued!

My gosh those people were smart, some of them. We had Eastern Rites and a couple nice atheists and a crazy Presbyterian guy, a few religious and some Deacons. I loved them all very much, even the ones I wanted to throttle. They knew every encyclical, every word of the CCC, every theologian, metaphysician and mystic. The battles were epic and intellectual and spiritual and wonderful.

We did some amazing apologetics. I did. Yes, I know some here will not believe it, but I was one of the most active in defending the faith. I ran that poor Presbyterian guy ragged with going back and forth to his Pastor trying to figure out why his faith was so anti-Jesus. Of course, as you can see, it led to some sin of pride and self-righteousness. But we loved the Church so much, and I think it showed to a lot of those who came by. Now, now it seems so niggardly and defensive and sad. The Church says so? RLY? That's all we got?

Then the Scandal hit. And they raised the drawbridge, flooded the moat and someone invented the term "loyal to the Magesterium." And those great forums withered and died. Now, to be the Catholic person I am, I had to come here. To be able to wrangle again. And we must, because we are the Church. And if we don't do something to stop the spreading fideism it will swallow us whole.

I don't need the Magesterium to defend my faith. I didn't get it from them, I had it confirmed by them.

Thank God for Knight and those with the wherewithal to support TOL.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I already said so, in the first post you quoted! Let me see if I can recall: I am a fan of sacramental marriage and of civil unions. I've been advocating domestic partnerships for years, along with taking the word "marriage" out of the law that would govern civil union. I've said the first part clearly ITT.

Civil unions by definition cannot be Catholic. Now what?

I read it a long time ago. Why not pick whatever part you are interested in, start a thread, post a link here and I'll be happy to join you. Then everyone can discuss it.
crys already started a thread. I already posted the links. I'll pull some quotes when I get a chance.

I doubt you will. No, wait. I'm pretty sure you won't. I'm not here to join the knee-jerk Trad Cath Brigade. Search and read my posts and I think you'll be able to get your mind all made up and stop wasting your time here.
You don't even know what I'm looking for.

As for being a "Trad Cath," that's pretty funny, since I've been told I'm infected with modernism.

You want to know what I believe? I believe in One God, the Father, the Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth. I believe in One Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, Eternally Begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Giver of Light. I believe in one Holy, Universal, Apostolic Church. I believe in one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and Life everlasting.

I believe God wants mercy more than sacrifice. I believe God wants everyone to be saved. I believe every single person is a beautiful and beloved child of God in their soul and I imagine most of them are far better than I. But I also know God loves me and Trust in the Mercy of Christ and the transformative power of the Holy Spirit.

I believe prayer is the most powerful tool at the disposal of humanity.

What do you believe?
A few questions:

1. Why change the creed? Why not say catholic? Whether or not it means the same thing, we don't say universal.
  2. I think God wants mercy and sacrifice. What else is taking up the cross, but sacrifice?
  3. Do you think everyone will be saved? Are you a universalist?

I believe all that the creeds, the scriptures, and the doctrines and dogmas of the Church which have been handed down to us through the ages from the time of the apostles tell us. I look to the saints for spiritual and practical guidance. I believe that love covers a multitude of sins, and I believe that all sins stem from pride, and that we each must come to terms with our own pridefulness before we can grow spiritually.

I also believe that marxism is evil, that cloaking it in Christian social justice is evil, that same sex civil unions cannot be made Catholic, and that one cannot be Catholic and be pro-choice. I believe that the world is becoming more steeped in darkness every day, and that only Christ can save us from ourselves, and that His second coming is sooner than we think.

Sheila B

I didn't even know as a Protestant we didn't believe the bread and wine/juice were the Body and Blood of Christ. I always thought so. He said so.
My husband says that, too.
I had no idea he thought it was real and not a symbol!
Shows how little (nil) that type of thing was discussed amongst us.
I was actually in RCIA before I found out what my old church didn't believe!
I loved RCIA. It was like discovering the bible for the first time.
I joined the Legion of Mary right away and the Deacon was reading to us from "Where is That in the Bible?" How perfectly God planned my whole journey!!
We started most of the basic cyberslang in the chatrooms and forums (BTW, FWIW, IIRC) And it was mostly grown-ups then. We said the Rosary online together. Sounds weird but it was really great when you did it. (Now they have this site http://www.comepraytherosary.org/ - I just looked, 58 people worldwide are praying the Rosary together right now. I'll be there after a bit.)
That is really great! Thanks for telling me about that.
I will try to send that to friends and family.
The Catholic forums at AOL were epic. They were great wrangles of the faithful arguing every Vat2 decision. Prayer threads with "prayer ninjas" devoted to each other's lives and welfare and the world's. Priests posted, priests argued!

My gosh those people were smart, some of them. We had Eastern Rites and a couple nice atheists and a crazy Presbyterian guy, a few religious and some Deacons. I loved them all very much, even the ones I wanted to throttle. They knew every encyclical, every word of the CCC, every theologian, metaphysician and mystic. The battles were epic and intellectual and spiritual and wonderful.

We did some amazing apologetics. I did. Yes, I know some here will not believe it, but I was one of the most active in defending the faith. I ran that poor Presbyterian guy ragged with going back and forth to his Pastor trying to figure out why his faith was so anti-Jesus.
It all sounds really great.
Now, to be the Catholic person I am, I had to come here. To be able to wrangle again. And we must, because we are the Church. And if we don't do something to stop the spreading fideism it will swallow us whole.
I like to discuss the faith without the quotes from CCC etc. That way, putting it in my own words, I learn more and it helps me to internalize it. Plus I do not know how to do links. I am very basic on the computer. I have to type out a whole quote.
I don't need the Magesterium to defend my faith. I didn't get it from them, I had it confirmed by them.
That is a good way to put it. I got my faith one day reading "Pillar of Truth, Pillar of Fire" and Jesus said "I am really there on the altars!" That was IT for me! I'll die a happy catholic.
Thank God for Knight and those with the wherewithal to support TOL.

It is very nice here, and we're glad you've joined us.

Refractive

Civil unions by definition cannot be Catholic. Now what?
They also can't be made religious or sacramental in any way. Why would I want them to be "Catholic?" I don't want to create the Catholic States of America.

crys already started a thread.
I found it. I posted. I'm not that interested.

[*]Why change the creed? Why not say catholic?
Because it most clearly conveys what I believe.

[*]I think God wants mercy and sacrifice. What else is taking up the cross, but sacrifice?
What do you think Jesus meant when He said "God wants mercy, not sacrifice?"
[*]Do you think everyone will be saved?
Yes. I think God gets to have His way.

I believe all that the creeds, the scriptures, and the doctrines and dogmas of the Church which have been handed down to us through the ages from the time of the apostles tell us. I look to the saints for spiritual and practical guidance. I believe that love covers a multitude of sins, and I believe that all sins stem from pride, and that we each must come to terms with our own pridefulness before we can grow spiritually.

I also believe that marxism is evil, that cloaking it in Christian social justice is evil, that same sex civil unions cannot be made Catholic, and that one cannot be Catholic and be pro-choice. I believe that the world is becoming more steeped in darkness every day, and that only Christ can save us from ourselves, and that His second coming is sooner than we think.
Okay.

ICameBack

Funny, Refractive, I was raised to be a devout Catholic and may have been predisposed as a Protestant. I believe I may have had the exact opposite experience as you! hahaha. Not that it diminishes you or I as brothers in Christ.

For instance- my conscience never felt right in Marian devotion. I felt like a liar with every Hail Mary I said. Unlike prayers to the Father or to Christ himself which granted me serenity. I do not say this to offend but to be forthright.

I left Roman Catholicism gradually after I met my wife and by the time my daughter was born it was barely an a la carte Catholic and basically just doing it for my family's sake. After a while I became an atheist but really that was just a cloak for my deep seeded anti-theism. When Christ called me back, it was to Anglicanism. I should just post a testimony somewhere instead of eating up your thread. haha.

ICameBack

Read on to Lk 6:38. :thumb: We are to judge righteously (Pr 31:9). :listen: You don't need to compliment modern-day Pharisees :eek:linger: (Mt 15:9), Lefty :Commie: (Eccl 10:2).

Can't say I disagree. However, even if you have the power to judge righteously or rebuke, you will find yourself either ineffective or garnering the opposite reaction thus proving a failure at the judgement altogether. That isn't just you but most of Christianity including Catholicism. Our call is Unity in the Body of Christ!

keypurr

Sheila I have always felt your compassion in your posts. I wish everyone , including myself, were like you.

God bless you.

Refractive

Funny, Refractive, I was raised to be a devout Catholic and may have been predisposed as a Protestant. I believe I may have had the exact opposite experience as you! hahaha. Not that it diminishes you or I as brothers in Christ.

For instance- my conscience never felt right in Marian devotion. I felt like a liar with every Hail Mary I said. Unlike prayers to the Father or to Christ himself which granted me serenity. I do not say this to offend but to be forthright.

I left Roman Catholicism gradually after I met my wife and by the time my daughter was born it was barely an a la carte Catholic and basically just doing it for my family's sake. After a while I became an atheist but really that was just a cloak for my deep seeded anti-theism. When Christ called me back, it was to Anglicanism. I should just post a testimony somewhere instead of eating up your thread. haha.

You're welcome to come here and say anything you like! Besides, it's a good point. I think God leads us all down whatever path we need to be on that gets us to Him. Now, is Anglican like Church of England? (Sorry, not that smart.) Anyway, if you start a thread about it post here so I can read your story. No, wait. There is a thread someplace - darn - what was it called? How you chose your religion - something like that. If I find it later I'll link it here. I posted in it myself. It's an interesting thread.

nicholsmom

Sorry I missed your intro thread. This is a very busy time of the year for me - from dance recital preparation through 4-H fair preparation through the fair to my anniversary. I'll be back more in August, but I'll be putting together the curriculum and "lesson plans" for the school year too, so ...

Anyway, I have to tell you that I generally like Cruciform, though I don't always agree with him. I hope it will be the same with you :wave:

Sheila B

Sheila I have always felt your compassion in your posts. I wish everyone , including myself, were like you.

God bless you.

That's a big ditto, Key.
I have learned from you and you make me think about why I believe what I believe... always a good thing. God's Blessings to you also!