Theology Club: I'm a heretic (probably...you tell me)

Damascusroad

I believe it is possible that ALL the gifts listed in 1 Corinthians and even Ephesians 4 were temporary for the founding of the Church while the full revelation of God was still being given and compiled.

I'm wondering what the advantage is in believing that.

:patrol:

glorydaz

Like I said, it's just a speculation, but one that would explain a WHOLE lot about the historically sad condition of the Body of Christ if true.

I'm not so sure it's the body of Christ that is lacking, but the churches. It's why so many have gone outside the camp, and are meeting in private homes. A return to our roots, if you will.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
musterion,

Are you saying that on your view some of the gifts will cease, or are you rather saying that some of the gifts have already ceased?

Untellectual

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I double checked the o.p., my meaning is quite clear. Wrong, maybe, but clear.
I've read your thread here, and you say you are MAD, but I'm unsure if this is about spiritual gifts ceasing or about when the dispensation of grace began.

musterion

I've read your thread here, and you say you are MAD, but I'm unsure if this is about spiritual gifts ceasing or about when the dispensation of grace began.

It's just wondering aloud about ALL the gifts possibly ending...miraculous and ministerial alike...upon the completion of the revelation given to Paul. Might help explain the shift from pastors, etc, being a defined spiritual gift to "if ANY man DESIRES the office," he doesn't need to show he has the gift but, instead, has to meet certain requirements. Makes me wonder if a discontinuance of all the gifts would help explain the Church as a whole falling into retro-Judaized apostasy within 100 years of Paul's homegoing (which Paul foretold would happen no matter what, discontinued gifts or no).

But like I said all along...I dunno. Just wondering.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It's just wondering aloud about ALL the gifts possibly ending...miraculous and ministerial alike...upon the completion of the revelation given to Paul. Might help explain the shift from pastors, etc, being a defined spiritual gift to "if any man DESIRES the office," he doesn't need to show he has the gift but, instead, has to meet certain requirements. Makes me wonder if a discontinuance of all the gifts would help explain the Church as a whole falling into retro-Judaized apostasy within 100 years of Paul's homegoing (which Paul foretold would happen, discontinued gifts or no).

But like I said all along...I dunno. Just wondering.
Are you saying that once Paul finished writing about spiritual gifts they ceased?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I just answered that question.
It is true obviously that Paul writes about spiritual gifts in His letters / writings.

Do you remember that heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will not? What if the gifts cease at that time instead of whenever you believe they did or may have ceased? You are being unclear.

I was differentiating between any gifts ceasing at Paul's conversion, after his writings were completed (and now maybe some at a particular point between writings), and the idea that some gifts may have ceased around 70 AD (others may have this view).

I personally believe that spiritual gifts are still for believers today.

musterion

It is true obviously that Paul writes about spiritual gifts in His letters / writings.

Yes.

Do you remember that heaven and earth will pass away but God's word will not?
Yes.

What if the gifts cease at that time instead of whenever you believe they did or may have ceased? You are being unclear.
Doesn't matter. I didn't say I was convinced they all DID cease (sign gifts, yes).

I personally believe that spiritual gifts are still for believers today.
I know you do.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes.

Yes.

Doesn't matter. I didn't say I was convinced they all DID cease (sign gifts, yes).

I know you do.
My thought was we can have a discussion about your view.

You believe the ministerial gifts, but not the sign gifts, are for today.

musterion

What part of "I'm not sure" don't you get? I can't make it any clearer than I have.

If you want to discuss the sign gifts, that's a separate matter. Start a thread and let me know when it's up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the gifts Paul spoke of where no different than what the Lord Jesus Christ stated in Matthew. Picking up deadly serpents, raise the dead, miracles, signs of the coming kingdom. It is obvious from Paul, the kingdom was still possible in his letters and he mentions it often.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What part of "I'm not sure" don't you get? I can't make it any clearer than I have.

If you want to discuss the sign gifts, that's a separate matter. Start a thread and let me know when it's up.
I understand that you are not sure about something.

Is it that you are not sure about the ministerial gifts (as some of the gifts are called by some people) (being for today)?

You mention sign gifts here, and maybe we can have a thread about spiritual gifts.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I think the gifts Paul spoke of where no different than what the Lord Jesus Christ stated in Matthew. Picking up deadly serpents, raise the dead, miracles, signs of the coming kingdom. It is obvious from Paul, the kingdom was still possible in his letters and he mentions it often.
I think you mean Mark, not Matthew.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you mean Mark, not Matthew.

Matthew 10

5These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, 10 nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food.