If you weren't in X religion, which religion would u choose?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If your parents were Catholic, you'll probably be one too.
If your parents were Sunni, you'll probably be one too.
If your parents were Hindu, you'll probably be one too.

I think that gets the point across
That you consider your particular faith more a matter of social conditioning than particular truth?

zoo22

If your parents were Catholic, you'll probably be one too.
If your parents were Sunni, you'll probably be one too.
If your parents were Hindu, you'll probably be one too.

I think that gets the point across

That you consider your particular faith more a matter of social conditioning than particular truth?

Are you disagreeing? Lots of Hindus down there in your neck of the woods?

Religion Runs in the Family

Thirty-five years ago, Bengtson began examining the religious beliefs and practices of more than 3,500 grandparents, parents, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. These efforts have culminated with his forthcoming study, Families and Faith: How Religion is Passed Down across Generations (Oxford University Press). The book, co-authored with research assistants Norella Putney and Susan Harris, looks at how parents seek to reproduce religious faith in their children amid an increasingly individualistic society.

Our study tracked the degree of religious similarity between parents and young adult children in 1970 with that of young adults and parents in 2005. We measured this degree of similarity in four dimensions of religiosity: intensity of faith, frequency of religious service attendance, agreement with a literal interpretation of the Bible, and agreement with the importance of religion in civic life.

Despite the many societal changes that have lurched us towards greater individualism and away from a more collective family focus, over half of young adult children are following in their parents' footsteps, in that they are affiliated with the parents' religious tradition. (To a lesser extent, their religious practices and beliefs also align with those of their parents).

However, quite unexpectedly and unique to our modern times, we found that many religious "nones" (the almost 30% of Americans between the ages of 18-40 who say they have no religious affiliation) have also been successful in passing on their faith. These kids are not rebelling from their parents, but instead following their parents' influence in having no religious affiliation. After all, a child's lack of religion is often no less an example of intentional religious formation on the part of parents. We noted that non-theistic families pass down strong moral and ethical standards just as consistently as pious Catholic or evangelical parents try to pass down their own values and religious standards.

Full article @ Christianity Today

republicanchick

"A woman should be so far immersed in God, that a man has to find God in order to even see her". Author unknown.

well, few men ever see me... b/c I don't want to see them...

but I sure SEE a lot of attractive men on FOX News..

of course the good ones (assuming they exist, of course) are always taken

++

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I couldn't be Baptist? I'd try Wesleyan..

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Are you disagreeing?
As a rule without important stipulation to give it substantive meaning, no. On the point that does, I'm mostly curious about how he sees his own faith.

Some people are creatures of tradition. Some buck tradition. And everyone has a different context within the context of culture, so I was wondering if he'd considered that or just assumed his faith was a byproduct of heritage.

Lots of Hindus down there in your neck of the woods?
A few. One of them introduced me to the Upanishads a long time ago. Any atheists/agnostics in your woods?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
the way a blowhard responds:
As a rule without important stipulation to give it substantive meaning, no.

the way a normal person would respond:
normal person said:

don't be a blowhard

this has been a public service announcement for the organization of normal people against blowhards

OONPAB - helping to make america a better place since 1643