I will not vote for trump

rexlunae

Thanks for the link. Some I like. Some I don't.

That seems fair.

I think you underestimate how important that is. :eek:
On actual policy I don't know how far off Kasich is from Cruz and Trump but I think he's significantly better in his demeanor and to me that matters.

Well, maybe. I certainly like the desire not to vilify the other side. But I also think that he's not being honest with the country, which I consider more important than tone.

That doesn't seem completely fair. Based on the link you gave he wants it to be handled by the states. Whether that's adequate or not is a different question.

He is governor of Ohio, which is technically a state, but I can't find a single mention of him pushing a policy to address climate change. I take this mostly as a convenient excuse not to do anything. Maybe as governor, he thinks the problem should be addressed by cities and counties? This goes back to what I just said about him not being very honest about his real positions. First of all, climate change is a world problem, that needs to be addressed by every nation and every level of government in coordination with each other, and suggesting that it's a state problem is a hair's-breadth from absurd. But second, I think he mostly says it shouldn't be a federal problem to stop the federal government from doing anything and deflecting accusations of being anti-science at the same time. I find this extremely cynical.

He also suggested that we 'continue to dig up coal', but that we 'clean it before we burn it' (???), which suggests that he either doesn't understand the problem with coal, or that he wants to merely deflect the focus on getting away from coal.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/03/14/3759893/kasich-clean-energy-climate-change-ohio/

If "clean coal" is the unicorn of green energy, then "clean it before we burn it" is like a unicorn with slightly smaller antlers.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well, maybe. I certainly like the desire not to vilify the other side. But I also think that he's not being honest with the country, which I consider more important than tone.
Perhaps. I haven't seen enough of Kasich to comment. But he's playing to a particular audience and that can involve bending things.
I hear it said that candidates go left or right during the primary and toward the center for the general. It seems like Kasich is skipping the first part.

He is governor of Ohio, which is technically a state, but I can't find a single mention of him pushing a policy to address climate change. I take this mostly as a convenient excuse not to do anything. Maybe as governor, he thinks the problem should be addressed by cities and counties? This goes back to what I just said about him not being very honest about his real positions. First of all, climate change is a world problem, that needs to be addressed by every nation and every level of government in coordination with each other, and suggesting that it's a state problem is a hair's-breadth from absurd. But second, I think he mostly says it shouldn't be a federal problem to stop the federal government from doing anything and deflecting accusations of being anti-science at the same time. I find this extremely cynical.
I can understand some cynicism but it might not be that bad. It could simply be a result of the conservative view that local solutions are better, even if local solutions aren't very effective for such a macro problem. But if his actual work in Ohio doesn't match up with this then that raises a red flag.

He also suggested that we 'continue to dig up coal', but that we 'clean it before we burn it' (???), which suggests that he either doesn't understand the problem with coal, or that he wants to merely deflect the focus on getting away from coal.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/03/14/3759893/kasich-clean-energy-climate-change-ohio/

If "clean coal" is the unicorn of green energy, then "clean it before we burn it" is like a unicorn with slightly smaller antlers.
:chuckle: I wonder what he means by cleaning it before burning it.

rexlunae

I can understand some cynicism but it might not be that bad. It could simply be a result of the conservative view that local solutions are better, even if local solutions aren't very effective for such a macro problem.

And that's cynical because he's really saying that it's always a problem for someone else. If he were running for mayor of Dayton, would he argue that climate change is a problem best addressed by every citizen personally? I just think it's unreasonable to give him that kind of benefit of the doubt, when really, his record leaves very little doubt.

But if his actual work in Ohio doesn't match up with this then that raises a red flag.

:chuckle: I wonder what he means by cleaning it before burning it.

I think his comment about cleaning the coal first actually reveals his entire approach to politics. You think Drumpf overpromises? It's nothing compared to Kasich. Drumpf at least talks mostly about things that are conceivable in the real world. Kasich is the candidate running on a platform of the excluded middle. It's just like his path to the nomination, which hinges either on two plus seven equaling a million, or on the process he's currently engaged in with Rafael and Drumpf being completely nullified, and him somehow appearing to be the most reasonable appointee in a completely rigged process and then going on to win the Presidency on those terms. And then, he's going to teach us all how to divide by zero, and show us how a camel is going to pass through the closed eye of a needle, and how to turn straw on a wheel and get gold.