ECT How is Paul's message different?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Sanderson's commentary was my benchmark. Calvin's theology has been a bane to Christendom.

Regardless, I don't even know who Sanderson is and can't even say whether he had anything to do with what I quoted. Once again, unless otherwise stated, my quoting someone is not a tacit endorsement of the quoted person's whole theological system nor even any part of their theology not directly related to what I quoted.

Cross Reference

Not so...

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.

Not so? What?

Cross Reference

October23 had said that, "LAW OF MOSES = PHYSICAL Only".

Not so!

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

OK. Obviously it wasn't. There was a heart issue in the thing that God honored above all else. Remember when Moses got careless with God in the circumcision of his son, Gershon?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I wanted to spend more time on this but hopefully it makes sense.

This is my current understanding. The OT is full of things that we can look to for a better understanding of the Christian age. If we look at the Law of Moses, it can be broken down into two basic parts. Man’s relationship with God and his fellow man. I believe the Law of Christ is the same relating to our relationship to God and man. The LOM goes into detail what is sin against God and man. The particulars don’t apply any longer as well other particulars of the LOM, hence our liberty but the essence of them does, love God and your neighbor.

The LOM goes into detail on what was to be done about sin. I believe it’s the same under the LOC, the details are different but the basics are the same. In Christ we can and do sin against God and man but instead of using animal sacrifices we have a perfect sacrifice that is able to forgive sins. The serious sins could not be atoned and God wanted the evil removed so they were cut off or put to death. In Christ they can be forgiven but they cannot continue. For example:
Lev. 20:11 If there is a man who lies with his father's wife, he has uncovered his father's nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.
We see the same situation in the NT.
1 Cor. 5:1 It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father's wife.
Paul said get him out so that his soul may be saved.
5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
We know from the next letter that he did seek forgiveness and returned.

I could go on, but there are a lot of principles we can learn and I believe can be applied to the LOC.

Gal. 3:21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.

The way I understand it, LOM was not intended to replace the promise, if it were then inheritance (righteousness) would have been based on it. It had a purpose but it wasn’t what was promised, we received the promise and it's far better.

Heb. 11:39 And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.
I don't think this answered my question or if it did, I don't get it.

You seem to think that the law was not done away with but rather replaced. Replaced with what?

What must one do to get saved and what must one do to remain that way?

During the previous dispensation it was, "Follow the Law of Moses."

You say that now its "Follow the Law of Christ." except that you don't seem to be able to clearly articulate what the Law of Christ even is. Further, Christ Himself said when asked, "What shall I do to be saved?", answered by listing off the Ten Commandments (i.e. the Law of Moses).

Matthew 19:6 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

In that same passage Jesus tells the guy to go sell everything he has and follow Him. Is that what you mean by the Law of Christ, the Law of Moses plus giving away all your earthly possessions?

I don't think that is what you mean so forgive my touch of sarcasm but, all kidding aside, I'd bet that if someone where to make such an argument, you'd have no way of refuting the idea that we should follow the Commandments plus X, Y & Z that Jesus added.

Have I misunderstood you?

--------------

Now, leaving that all aside, I think I've figured out really what has me frustrated with our conversation, or at least a big part of it anyway. It goes back to what I was saying at the beginning of this conversation.

This whole issue is about big picture sort of issues. Ideas that effect the whole theological system of the Christian faith. I keep coming at you from a top down, big picture perspective where these systemic ideas inform and clarify the details almost automatically and then your responses are from the opposite direction. Your paradigm, (and that of most Christians), starts with the details and resolves a big picture based on those details.

The problem with such a bottom up response to my top down arguments is that they are only valid arguments from your own paradigm, which is itself based on those details. Its a form of begging the question.

Its a fallacy that I can't really blame you for committing because you cannot see any other course of action - yet. But it is precisely the fact that any bottom up approach leads to unavoidable question begging that demonstrates that a top down approach is always superior, even if you get some of the details wrong.

Its the difference between trying to solve a 50,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with or without the box cover. It a lot easier when the details have an overall context within which they are understood. Without the box top, a puzzle piece might look like clouds or whipped cream or cotton or snow, etc but with the box top, you know instantly that its actually the vapor trail off the back end of a booster rocket.

images

My whole argument boils down to this. The less interpretation that is needed, the better. The more you can just read the bible and let it say what it seems to say without parsing words or it causing theological conflicts, either real or imagined, the better. If a theological system could be found that resolves many diverse and seemingly unrelated theological conflicts in an eloquent manner (i.e. simple to understand and explain), that system would be objectively superior than any system that could not do so or that did the reverse.

Acts 9 Dispensationalism effortlessly resolves the following doctrinal issues....

1. Where the need for Paul's ministry?
  2. Why the Twelve agreed with Paul to forgo the Great Commission and minister only to Israel?
  3. Why the Twelve (and the Holy Spirit) insisted, upon pain of death, that their followers sell all their possessions and their lands and turn in the proceeds to the Twelve?
  4. Can believer's lose their salvation?
  5. Should believers observe the Sabbaths and Feasts?
  6. Should believers only eat cosher foods? (Yep! There's LOTS of Christians that think you should!)?
  7. Are believers required to obey the Ten Commandments?
  8. Must we continually ask God for the forgiveness of our daily sins (The Lord's Prayer) or are we already forgiven?
  9. Will Christians go through all, part or none of the Tribulation?
  10. Is the Rapture really going to happen?
  11. Are believers required to get water baptized?
  12. Should believers speak in tongues and perform and/or witness physical miracles?
  13. Etc, etc, etc!

It resolves all of these issues and many more and does so without needed to have a PhD. in religious studies or even an education past about the 3rd grade.

I cannot comprehend what stronger argument for the veracity of a theological system could possibly be made!

Now, of course, whether the system actually does those things is, in your mind, still an open question and as I've said many times already, establishing these claims is a task well beyond what can be effectively done in a forum such as this. There are several books, many of which are several hundred pages long, dedicated to the task. I suppose I could just copy whole sections of these works and post them here but something tells me that the copyright holders would take offense at my doing so and you'd likely not read such a lengthy post anyway. I invite you to revisit post 59 in which I posted a short excerpt from Bob Enyart's book, The Plot. In fact, I wish I could convince you to read that whole book!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Danoh

You seem to think that the law was not done away with but rather replaced. Replaced with what?

You say that now its "Follow the Law of Christ." except that you don't seem to be able to clearly articulate what the Law of Christ even is. Further, Christ Himself said when asked, "What shall I do to be saved?", answered by listing off the Ten Commandments (i.e. the Law of Moses).

Matthew 19:6 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

In that same passage Jesus tells the guy to go sell everything he has and follow Him. Is that what you mean by the Law of Christ, the Law of Moses plus giving away all your earthly possessions?

I don't think that is what you mean so forgive my touch of sarcasm but, all kidding aside, I'd bet that if someone where to make such an argument, you'd have no way of refuting the idea that we should follow the Commandments plus X, Y & Z that Jesus added.

--------------

Now, leaving that all aside, I think I've figured out really what has me frustrated with our conversation, or at least a big part of it anyway. It goes back to what I was saying at the beginning of this conversation.

This whole issue is about big picture sort of issues. Ideas that effect the whole theological system of the Christian faith. I keep coming at you from a top down, big picture perspective where these systemic ideas inform and clarify the details almost automatically and then your responses are from the opposite direction. Your paradigm, (and that of most Christians), starts with the details and resolves a big picture based on those details.

The problem with such a bottom up response to my top down arguments is that they are only valid arguments from your own paradigm, which is itself based on those details. Its a form of begging the question.

Its a fallacy that I can't really blame you for committing because you cannot see any other course of action - yet. But it is precisely the fact that any bottom up approach leads to unavoidable question begging that demonstrates that a top down approach is always superior, even if you get some of the details wrong.

Its the difference between trying to solve a 50,000 piece jigsaw puzzle with or without the box cover. It a lot easier when the details have an overall context within which they are understood. Without the box top, a puzzle piece might look like clouds or whipped cream or cotton or snow, etc but with the box top, you know instantly that its actually the vapor trail off the back end of a booster rocket.

images

My whole argument boils down to this. The less interpretation that is needed, the better. The more you can just read the bible and let it say what it seems to say without parsing words or it causing theological conflicts, either real or imagined, the better. If a theological system could be found that resolves many diverse and seemingly unrelated theological conflicts in an eloquent manner (i.e. simple to understand and explain), that system would be objectively superior than any system that could not do so or that did the reverse.

Acts 9 Dispensationalism effortlessly resolves the following doctrinal issues....

1. Where the need for Paul's ministry?
  2. Why the Twelve agreed with Paul to forgo the Great Commission and minister only to Israel?
  3. Why the Twelve (and the Holy Spirit) insisted, upon pain of death, that their followers sell all their possessions and their lands and turn in the proceeds to the Twelve?
  4. Can believer's lose their salvation?
  5. Should believers observe the Sabbaths and Feasts?
  6. Should believers only eat cosher foods? (Yep! There's LOTS of Christians that think you should!)?
  7. Are believers required to obey the Ten Commandments?
  8. Must we continually ask God for the forgiveness of our daily sins (The Lord's Prayer) or are we already forgiven?
  9. Will Christians go through all, part or none of the Tribulation?
  10. Is the Rapture really going to happen?
  11. Are believers required to get water baptized?
  12. Should believers speak in tongues and perform and/or witness physical miracles?
  13. Etc, etc, etc!

It resolves all of these issues and many more and does so without needed to have a PhD. in religious studies or even an education past about the 3rd grade.

I cannot comprehend what stronger argument for the veracity of a theological system could possibly be made!

Now, of course, whether the system actually does those things is, in your mind, still an open question and as I've said many times already, establishing these claims is a task well beyond what can be effectively done in a forum such as this. There are several books, many of which are several hundred pages long, dedicated to the task. I suppose I could just copy whole sections of these works and post them here but something tells me that the copyright holders would take offense at my doing so and you'd likely not read such a lengthy post anyway. I invite you to revisit post 59 in which I posted a short excerpt from Bob Enyart's book, The Plot. In fact, I wish I could convince you to read that whole book!

Resting in Him,
Clete

That...

...was...

...one...

...great...

POST!

turbosixx

I was afraid of this. I’m not as good as you are at getting my point across.

Yes, I believe the LOM was replaced or better yet, superseded by the LOC. The promise was Christ not the law but the law served a purpose. I don’t believe we are under the LOM but the essence of the law is the foundation of the law of Christ.
Matt. 22:36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37 And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Yes, Jesus told the young man to follow the 10 commandments because that is the law they were under at the time. Christ hadn’t died yet. I believe the reason Jesus told him to sell his possessions was to make him aware of where his heart was.
Matt. 6:24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

I get the impression you believe I’m making up that there is a law of Christ. I only know what I read in scripture. What do you believe Paul is talking about?

Heb. 7:12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.
Gal. 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
1 Cor. 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

Interplanner

I was afraid of this. I’m not as good as you are at getting my point across.

Yes, I believe the LOM was replaced or better yet, superseded by the LOC. The promise was Christ not the law but the law served a purpose. I don’t believe we are under the LOM but the essence of the law is the foundation of the law of Christ.
Matt. 22:36 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37 And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.' 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Yes, Jesus told the young man to follow the 10 commandments because that is the law they were under at the time. Christ hadn’t died yet. I believe the reason Jesus told him to sell his possessions was to make him aware of where his heart was.
Matt. 6:24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

I get the impression you believe I’m making up that there is a law of Christ. I only know what I read in scripture. What do you believe Paul is talking about?

Heb. 7:12 For when the priesthood is changed, of necessity there takes place a change of law also.
Gal. 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.
1 Cor. 9:21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law.

There is no putting God in debt to ourselves by our actions; it wasn't even that way under the Law of Moses, Dt 8. What Christ was showing to the rich ruler was that 1, he was totally invested in his wealth, and 2, didn't love the unworthy. The heart was wrong. As usual, it can sound like Christ just wanted him to attack the problem from 'outside', mechanically, forcing himself to make those particular changes. But in his overall message, Christ was showing that the heart is completely different in light of the new Gospel message.

Some declarations by Christ are more eschatologically short-term than others. This is a 1st century Judean conversation, and the place is going to be decimated in that generation. It was originally expected that the worldwide day of judgement would happen right after the destruction of Israel, but a delay was allowed--and that's where we are right to this day. Not a delay in Israel's destruction, but of the worldwide judgement.

Jamie Gigliotti

The ultra dispensation of grace. Why do I care? I've seen this doctrine harm my family, harm me. Saying all I have to do is believe His grace saves me, with nothing else required of me, causes people to miss the personal intimate relationship that God desires through Jesus and His Spirit. It cause people to be enslaved by darkness that Jesus intends to free us from, to save us from.

Paul is misunderstood. He describes theological underpinnings of grace, but also How we must relate to God through His Spirit and our role to play in this realtionship made possible by grace and the blood of Jesus.

The dispensation crowd ignores Paul's teaching on our responsibility in our new found reconciliation with God through Jesus.

"Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness." Romans 6:13

"But now that you have been set from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and it's end eternal life." Romans 6:22

There is no way you can say we have nothing to do. Being a slave to God, Sowing to His Spirit, (Galatians 6:8), bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God (2 Corinthians 7:1) requires much from us.

A relationship is a two way street. Ours with Christ is the way to follow, the way to freedom the way to eternal life.

Cross Reference

The ultra dispensation of grace. Why do I care? I've seen this doctrine harm my family, harm me. Saying all I have to do is believe His grace saves me, with nothing else required of me, causes people to miss the personal intimate relationship that God desires through Jesus and His Spirit. It cause people to be enslaved by darkness that Jesus intends to free us from, to save us from.

Paul is misunderstood. He describes theological underpinnings of grace, but also How we must relate to God through His Spirit and our role to play in this realtionship made possible by grace and the blood of Jesus.

The dispensation crowd ignores Paul's teaching on our responsibility in our new found reconciliation with God through Jesus.

"Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness." Romans 6:13

"But now that you have been set from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and it's end eternal life." Romans 6:22

There is no way you can say we have nothing to do. Being a slave to God, Sowing to His Spirit, (Galatians 6:8), bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God (2 Corinthians 7:1) requires much from us.

A relationship is a two way street. Ours with Christ is the way to follow, the way to freedom the way to eternal life.

Amen! They confuse redemption with salvation. . . . They do so because they love the world.

Right Divider

Body part
Then you have no idea how being saved in this way (by grace through faith) changes a person.

Jamie Gigliotti

Then you have no idea how being saved in this way (by grace through faith) changes a person.

What changes a person? The Spiritual presence of God? How? By following Him. It is undoubtedly by grace that He is in our lives. We must choose to follow.

"Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh Will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." Galatians 6:8

Anyone who says we don't have follow the Holy Spirit is lying. Following Him frees us.

turbosixx

My whole argument boils down to this. The less interpretation that is needed, the better. The more you can just read the bible and let it say what it seems to say without parsing words or it causing theological conflicts, either real or imagined, the better.

Amen. I do my very best to to do just that.

I went back and looked at post 59 and here is my take.

I'm told that Paul is the first and a pattern for those saved through grace. I’m told that in Acts 9 he was given the gospel of grace which is different than the gospel the twelve proclaimed. When I look for evidence to support that claim, I do not see it. The first sermons by Peter Acts 2 and Paul Acts 13 are the same. Of course they aren’t word for word but they are the same.

Addressing Israel
Peter:
22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words;
Paul:
16 Then Paul stood up, and beckoning with his hand said, Men of Israel,

Christ descended from David
Peter:
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
Paul:
23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Jesus died
Peter:
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Paul:
28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain.

David saw decay
Peter:
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Paul:
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Christ did not see decay
Peter:
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Paul:
37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption.

Jesus resurrected
Peter:
32 This Jesus hath God raised up,
Paul:
30 But God raised him from the dead:

People witnessed his resurrection
Peter:
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Paul:
31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.

Forgiveness of sins through Jesus
Peter:
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Paul:
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Jesus is Israel’s savior
Peter:
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Paul:
23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

Added comment.
Acts 13:46 Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly and said, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken to you first; since you repudiate it and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles.

If Paul is teaching something different than this to the Gentiles, then the Jews didn't hear it first. The Gentiles will hear this same gospel, forgiveness of sins through Jesus.

Last edited:

Interplanner

I'm told that Paul is the first and a pattern for those saved through grace. I’m told that in Acts 9 he was given the gospel of grace which is different than the gospel the twelve proclaimed. When I look for evidence to support that claim, I do not see it. The first sermons by Peter Acts 2 and Paul Acts 13 are the same. Of course they aren’t word for word but they are the same.

Addressing Israel
Peter:
Paul:

Peter:
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
Paul:

Jesus died
Peter:
23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Paul:
28 And though they found no cause of death in him, yet desired they Pilate that he should be slain.

David saw decay
Peter:
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Paul:
36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Christ did not see decay
Peter:
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Paul:

Jesus resurrected
Peter:
Paul:

Peter:
Paul:
31 And he was seen many days of them which came up with him from Galilee to Jerusalem, who are his witnesses unto the people.

Peter:
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Paul:
38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Jesus is Israel’s savior
Peter:
36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Paul:

Good parallel homework!

Cross Reference

Addressing Israel
Peter:
Paul:

Peter:
Paul:

Jesus died
Peter:
Paul:

David saw decay
Peter:
Paul:

Christ did not see decay
Peter:
Paul:

Jesus resurrected
Peter:
Paul:

Peter:
Paul:

Peter:
Paul:

Jesus is Israel’s savior
Peter:
Paul:

Turbosixx, May I have your permission to use your outstanding efforts in presenting these scripture facts elsewhere in any of my replies? Nice job! Actually, I'm lazy ;). I want cut and paste them where and when useful? Thank you. :).