How did you come up with that name?

john_aurelius

My name is my two favourite 5th century theologians

John Chrysostom and Aurelius Augustine.

The John as a Biblical name also relates to other Johns, it also fits with John Calvin and John Wesley.

Aurelius means golden (Au is still the chemical name for gold). It may or may not be the name of hte great theologian from Thagaste/ Hippo Regius but its also the name of one of his friends Bishop Aurelius at Carthage.

The hyphenated name john_aurelius has a philosophical kind of flavour to it due to the Emperor Marcus Aurelius although this is the Christian version rather than Stoic. John is a Hebrew name and would never have been placed before Aurelius in the ancient world.

My M.A. focussed on Ancient History and the period known as late antiquity in particular so I've had it as a virtual name for myself for quite a while.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'm not allowed to use my picture for my avatar, it constitutes parading transvestites. The young lady in my avatar is Chibi, lead vocalist of The Birthday Massacre.

What are you talking about?

This in bold, you little cuckoo bird! You are always seeking to make yourself as weird as possible. You crave that negative attention and that seems a bit nuts to me. :alien:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Mine's not real original. I love working with wood. I like building things. But it serves as a nice reminder that my Savior was also a carpenter. (Probably a pretty good one too. One with vision!)

Jesus and the tall table

Last edited:

El DLo

I was given the nickname D.Lo when I was in 9th grade, Dan being my first name and Lo being the first two letters of my last. Over time I tacked on the "El", which I believe was my response to character minimums for usernames for websites I was registering.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
G4739

στήκω
stḗkō; a late form found only in the pres., corrupted from éstēka, the perf. of the verb hístēmi (G2476), to stand

Gal 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

1Co 16:13 Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.

Php 1:27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,
Php 1:28 and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.

2Th 2:15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

some other dude

I can't figure out if I'm always talking about you or never talking about you. I am so confused. :mmph:

The Monty Python crew originally wanted to call their TV show "It's", but the BBC rejected it as too confusing.

Other rejected choices?

"Whither Canada?"
"Ow! It's Colin Plint"
"A Horse, a Spoon and a Bucket"
"The Toad Elevating Moment"
"Owl Stretching Time"

My kids and I still make owl stretching jokes and have stretched the occasional owl. :)

Krsto

The Monty Python crew originally wanted to call their TV show "It's", but the BBC rejected it as too confusing.

Other rejected choices?

"Whither Canada?"
"Ow! It's Colin Plint"
"A Horse, a Spoon and a Bucket"
"The Toad Elevating Moment"
"Owl Stretching Time"

My kids and I still make owl stretching jokes and have stretched the occasional owl. :)

You're going to have to explain all that . . .

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The Totton Linnet
It's never too far to go
to Totton on a sigh
there among the copses
meadow marshland nearby
Linnet makes her home there in the hedge row
her mate is handsome of breast and crown
with a voice like a flute you know.

Totton is a rural area of Southampton, my home.
http://gentledove2.wordpress.com

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This in bold, you little cuckoo bird! You are always seeking to make yourself as weird as possible. You crave that negative attention and that seems a bit nuts to me. :alien:

I think he did it for his dad. Based on his testimony here. He is in harsh rebellion. Then again, I don't know what it was like in his house.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I think he did it for his dad. Based on his testimony here. He is in harsh rebellion. Then again, I don't know what it was like in his house.

I'm 34, I'm well past the "rebelling against my parents" stage in my life.

This is me. This is who I am.