Hello from a non-religious new person

reasonator

I appreciate zippy's comments. I am a big fan of charity on all sides of this debate, and I am no fan of militant atheists who seem to only want to inflame emotions.

In my experience, if you approach a disagreement with some level of charity, then you have the greatest chance of convincing someone of your side. At the least, it will help clear away emotional landmines from the conversation. It seems to me all too often that atheists are more interested in heated debate than they are convincing others of a position. I know that can be true of Christians as well, but less so.

I really don't see how TH saying I am as proud as the rich young ruler, or insinuating in a passive-aggressive way that I'm unintelligent and should sue my former school for the poor education I received, a very good way to go about things, or win me over to his argument.

But hey, that's just me. Maybe you win a lot of friends doing that, TH.

Ted L Glines

I’m looking forward to some good discussions in this forum, and to getting to know some of the regular posters -- and becoming one, myself.

Some background:

I’m non-religious, but used to be a Christian. I realize that some may be skeptical about how “Christian” I actually was. To use some Christian terms, I had what I believed to be a personal relationship with Jesus, and had a salvation experience and commitment of my life as a disciple of Christ. I was also baptized in my local church. Later in life, I felt a calling to the ministry. I attended a well-established seminary and graduated with a master’s of divinity in Christian theology in 2004. I was particularly interested (and still am) in koine Greek, textual criticism, and theology. I taught Sunday schools, taught youth at discipleship weekend retreats, taught singles and young adults, helped lead worship for Sunday school classes and Christian get-togethers, and delivered sermons in churches when asked to. By any account, I was as Christian (with a personal faith and assurance of salvation) as they get.

Shortly before I graduated, I had some misgivings about the modern Church, and how churches are often operated more as businesses and less as I thought they were intended to be. I also felt most Christians had missed the boat on eschatology. But that for another time. I still had a personal faith, but I had no desire to minister in an official capacity at the time of graduation. So, I went to work in a secular field, as a journalist, and do so to this day.

About a year after my graduation from seminary, I began to question my own faith and the reasons for believing. I realized how easy it is for humans to be convinced of supernatural events, but recognized that there were a lot of problems and inconsistencies with belief in the supernatural and with belief in the God Christianity and belief in other religions. After a long time of reflection, I gave up all religious belief. I’ve never been happier or at more peace with myself than I am now.

Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome to the forum. I found myself in a similar boat, finding Jesus not being active in any of the churches available to me. When I was growing up, the churches were active forces in the communities, always ready to address problems and help to find solutions. That seems to have changed. The concept of sanctuary seems to have gone away, and our churches lock their doors lest some homeless person might come in and steal something (how can you steal anything from God?). Since Jesus seems to be gone from the churches, I kept Jesus and God, and abandonned religion. For me, the change brought peace. Blessings to you :cool:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I really don't see how TH saying I am as proud as the rich young ruler, or insinuating in a passive-aggressive way that I'm unintelligent and should sue my former school for the poor education I received, a very good way to go about things, or win me over to his argument.
If you thought I was questioning your intelligence then you aren't as intelligent as I supposed. Consider it along the lines of "If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you." It doesn't follow that the point was to actually sell you a bridge. :plain:

But hey, that's just me. Maybe you win a lot of friends doing that, TH.
Was that your point in declaring "I care about those distinctions only to an amused, intellectual degree"?...maybe we both have something to learn about first impressions, but you proffered a gambit that I find rationally lacking and one you've yet to answer in challenge though I've presented it more than once now.

Refractive

Oh, man! If you's just waited 5 minutes it would have been the tomorrow with the afforded edge space. I see you managed to wedge in anyway...

I have no doubt this is true of some, or even many, atheists who take time to post on a theology forum. However, it is not my aim to be provocative or to be a provocateur. I recognize that simply presenting non-religious positions in a theology forum will be provocative to some posters by definition. But, my aim is discussion. I'm no troll, and I'm not sitting back in my chair with a cat in my lap concocting devious plans of how to rile people up.
Well, you need a rather ornate pinkie ring to do that.

I'm not looking for anyone to get me back into the fold,

So, why are you here? You are an atheist on a theology forum. There are thousands of forums dedicated to all sorts of topics. Why would you want to invest time in a forum who's principle stated purpose of existence is knowledge of a God you do not believe exists?

but I will give as honest and open hearing to any arguments or ideas anyone wants to present.

Maybe someone will do that sometime.

That's not my game.

We'll see.
I'm unsure what you mean by this, or what response you got that you were hoping to get.

That's okay, it was my introductory thread when I first got here. No reason you should understand it.

. Again, I am not attempting to play a game, or bluff anybody.

Again, we'll see. But you will have to concede there is no reason for anyone to necessarily believe you. Nor is there much reason to disbelieve you except for the striking similarities of your behavior to others who have come under alternate identities with the agendas I outlined.

I honestly don't know why, unless you have a built in suspicion because I don't share your beliefs.

Then you didn't read the post very carefully because I outlined that. I don't care what you believe.
I would love to account for any questions you have about my biography if I am able to, but at the same time the reason we all have handles on a message board is so that we can maintain some level of anonymity. I'm not shy about sharing personal information to people I know in real life, but I don't see the need to share a bunch of personal information with you...

Dude, you brought it all into the conversation. Once you introduce the info it becomes reasonable fodder for conversation. As for anonymity, the name of the seminary you say you went to is a secret because it could reveal you to the world? Srsly? I went to Ohio State University directly after graduating from high school. Good luck figuring out my name.

Why would anyone here ask where you went to seminary? Well, then we have shorthand for which of the 30k belief systems you were taught. I have no idea why you brought it up in the first place. Or said any of what you said. Or mentioned a wife. Except you seem to want to present some picture of yourself to us.

Why?
I may change my mind if you insist thinking I am playing a game with you or trying to bluff you about my biography for some reason, but I'll have to give it some thought.
I already know you are playing a game and I am not at all interested at this point.

Why would you spend so much time trying to verify what I say about myself? If someone tells me on a message forum some biographical detail about their lives, I am prone to believing them if it is somewhat mundane detail.
You don't get it. I was trying, with my first questions, to simply verify you were a believer who lost his belief. You haven't said one thing to make me believe that's true.

When I came here and labelled myself Catholic, Catholics from this forum came into my thread to ask me just what kind of Catholic I was. You'd be amazed at the number of evangelicals or other unaffiliated "Christians" who will pretend to be catholic to slyly argue with our beliefs and cause doubt, they hope, amongst Catholics. I didn't care and I didn't convince them all. But my subsequent posts on this board did. Now, I might still not fit the mold many of the more conservative Catholics would like. But they know what I am.

You trotted your identity out here on our stage like a character description in a stage play. And you made something of a meal out of it:

I’m looking forward to some good discussions in this forum, and to getting to know some of the regular posters -- and becoming one, myself.

That was actually enough to be getting on with. EVERYONE will look and see you label yourself an atheist.

Some background:

I'm in my 30s, I like fly fishing and am a family guy ...
Nope, what we got was:

I’m non-religious, but used to be a Christian. I realize that some may be skeptical about how “Christian” I actually was.

So right here you want to start the argument. YOU started it. YOU introduce the idea we will hold certain attitudes. This is your intro thread and what we know is: you want to argue with us.

Which is fine, we're good at that.

To use some Christian terms,

"Theology online" and you have to introduce your remarks this way? Like maybe we won't understand what a "salvation experience" is? But see, I'd be interested you demonstrating YOU know what it is. So far, ITT up to today, all you've done is avoid the issues you yourself brought up in your own OP.

But I don't think anything I've said about myself warrants the kind of doubt and background checking you are attempting.
"Background checking?" LOL! Yer paranoid son. If I wanted to check you out, I'd ask one of the PTB to run your IP against the member list.

You are suspicious because so far you have behaved like a fox in sheep's clothing who is confused about what species he's trying to portray.

You are paranoid because you are essentially dishonest, is my guess.

Doesn't matter. You will reveal yourself through your posts as all do.

Or abandon this attempt by citing how unwelcome you feel, pretend to walk off in a huff, and come back under a new name with a better story now that you know what your errors were.

I can be wrong. I was once on a forum where I posted for weeks before they stopped accusing me of being someone who had just stormed out. I guess our posting styles were coincidentally similar.

So how about stop all this misdirecting obfuscating and just respond to the questions you were asked at the beginning?

Because I'm done with you here. If you stay, I'll see you in the threads. If you leave, I'll see you in your next Intro thread.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Oh, man! ..................

So, why ...........................

Maybe someone will do that sometime.......................

We'll see.....................

That's okay,.............................

Again, ......................

Then you didn't read .....................
Dude, ...............................

Why would anyone here ask ......................

Why? ...............................

You don't get it..................................

When I came here .........................

You trotted ........................

I’m looking forward to......................

That was actually enough to be getting on with. EVERYONE will look and see you label yourself an atheist.

Some background:

I'm in my 30s..........................,

I’m non-religious, ...............................
So right here you want to start the argument.....................

Which is fine,........................

To use some Christian terms.....................,

"Theology online" and you have to introduce your remarks this way? ....................................
"V Background checking?" ...............................

You are suspicious .....................

You are paranoid ,.........................
Doesn't matter. .................................

Or abandon this attempt......................
I can be wrong. .................

So how about stop all this.....................
Because I'm done with you here..

Why not play a nice game of solitaire?:chuckle:

Refractive

Any meat on the bone here, or is it all monkey business?

monkey%20full%20face.JPG

reasonator

So, why are you here? You are an atheist on a theology forum. There are thousands of forums dedicated to all sorts of topics. Why would you want to invest time in a forum who's principle stated purpose of existence is knowledge of a God you do not believe exists?

There could be numerous reasons why an atheist would be on a theology forum. Is theology a realm of discussion reserved only for those who believe in a form of theism? My personal belief system is atheism with a slight lean toward deism, but there was no deist option to choose when labeling ourselves in our profile, so I had to choose atheism. But even as an atheist, I enjoy discussion about theology because of my educational and life background, even for the pure sake of interesting and deep discussion. Couldn't that be reason enough to be a part of this forum?

Also, just as you as a Christian feel you are doing a service for the world by proselytizing, I also feel I am doing something good for the world and good for individuals if I were somehow able to help someone give up religious viewpoints. From my personal experience, I do believe a life without religion is a better life than a religious (or faith-based, or relationship-with-Jesus based) life. Just as I would expect you to share a message that you feel would save someone's soul from eternal damnation, you should expect me to share a message that I feel saves a person from missing out on important aspects in the one life they have. That's why I'm here.

Again, we'll see. But you will have to concede there is no reason for anyone to necessarily believe you.

I don't concede that at all. If I had told you that I was a lost sinner, and had accepted the free gift of salvation offered through faith in Christ, and then later attended seminary and graduated, and now work as a minister, you would probably believe me without much question. But because you are biased against someone having the opposite experience, you choose not to believe me. I have given you no reason to doubt the very simple biographical information I have supplied. You doubt my testimony out of stubbornness, unless you just are that paranoid about everybody.

Dude, you brought it all into the conversation. Once you introduce the info it becomes reasonable fodder for conversation. As for anonymity, the name of the seminary you say you went to is a secret because it could reveal you to the world? Srsly? I went to Ohio State University directly after graduating from high school. Good luck figuring out my name.

But I already answered when someone asked me what seminary I went to that I went to a Southern Baptist seminary. That should tell you enough. Why would you insist on what seminary in particular? Seriously, why do you want to know. Give me a good reason and I will tell you which one, I suppose, but I don't see how it changes anything. Even if I tell you what seminary I went to, it doesn't tell you much about my prior theological belief system, since there is a mixture of theological bents among students at every SBC seminary. At my school, there were Arminians, Calvinists, dispensationalists, a smattering of KJV-onlyers (although very few people took them seriously), and a host of other various theological positions. But since you know I went to an SBC seminary, you can bet that I was not a believer in paedobaptism, was a believer in ordinances rather than sacraments, and on and on.

I mean how much particular detail do you want to know about my life which would convince you I have been truthful about my history? My guess is no amount would convince you, because you seem biased against believing me to begin with.

Why would anyone here ask where you went to seminary?
Well, then we have shorthand for which of the 30k belief systems you were taught. I have no idea why you brought it up in the first place.

Because this is an introduction forum? So why wouldn't I give some detail about my life and my own testimony of how I went from Point A to Point B?

Or said any of what you said. Or mentioned a wife. Except you seem to want to present some picture of yourself to us.

I don't have a wife. Not sure where you got that from. And you really don't understand why I want to present a picture of myself in an introduction thread on this forum?

It's clear to me that you are treating me differently, and with a lot more suspicion and tacit rudeness, than you treat people who give a testimony of themselves of how they became a believer. You don't question their background, or insinuate they are lying or playing a game. You just accept their word at face value. For example, here. In that thread, Biblebeliever2007 gives his testimony, and instead of questioning his testimony like you have mine, you accept what he says as truthful. Why is that? I know his belief system matches yours more than mine does, of course, but why automatically assume the life story I presented to you is a lie, or a bluff in a poker game? I think you should ask yourself that question, and reconsider whether you treat people fairly.

I already know you are playing a game and I am not at all interested at this point.

Oh do you? Since I am not playing any kind of game, and have been straightforward throughout this thread, I guess that tells me something about how wrong your conclusions are, not just about me, but about other things as well.

You don't get it. I was trying, with my first questions, to simply verify you were a believer who lost his belief. You haven't said one thing to make me believe that's true.

I've said plenty to verify my story, but you refuse to accept anything I say. Let's be very straightforward here, what exactly could I tell you or demonstrate to you to verify my story to you? I almost don't think it's worth it to entertain your tests, since there is no reason for you to doubt my statements as true on face value, and since you don't fairly administer verification tests to everyone who posts on this forum, as I have shown in the way you have responded to Christians who introduce themselves here, but maybe I will try to meet your unreasonable tests if you can tell me exactly what it would take. My guess, there is nothing, even if you met me in person, that could convince you.

You trotted your identity out here on our stage like a character description in a stage play. And you made something of a meal out of it.

On "our" stage? I am a new member, but I am a member. It's all of our stage now, and I didn't "trot my identity out like a character," I introduced myself, and gave my testimony. But because I'm not a believer like you, you didn't like my testimony, and attacked me for it.

you seem to not like how I introduced myself. You wanted me to just say hi, I am looking for good discussions, and then didn't want me to say anything else about myself? Well I'm so sorry, but not everyone will introduce themselves the way that best fits your desires. And even if I hadn't included my former Christian identity and seminary background in my introduction thread, it would probably have come out in some other thread, and there we would be right back to where we are now, with you calling me a liar and a bluffer, and refusing to believe me.

"Background checking?" LOL! Yer paranoid son. If I wanted to check you out, I'd ask one of the PTB to run your IP against the member list.

I don't know how you have been checking my background, but you are the one in this thread who said this: "I can be wrong. I am, in fact, trying to verify that he is exactly what he says he is. So far, not having much luck. I believe TH has been doing the same thing."

So it's not paranoia. You actually said you were doing that. I don't even care that you are trying to verify I am exactly what I say I am, other than you are wasting your time and would have saved yourself effort by believing me in the first place.

You are suspicious because so far you have behaved like a fox in sheep's clothing ...

I simply have not. Seems clear to me, and I would bet others who read this thread, that you are the one who seems highly paranoid here. So much that you think we are playing a poker game and I am trying to bluff you. You, sir, are extremely paranoid.

Or abandon this attempt by citing how unwelcome you feel, pretend to walk off in a huff, and come back under a new name with a better story now that you know what your errors were.

Why would I do that? You seem to almost want me to get mad at you and walk off in a huff. Is that your game? It's almost as if you are aching to try to push some button of mine. It's nearly entertaining to watch you. I did not expect this in a simple introduction thread. It was never my game to try to push your buttons, but your staunch refusal to believe anything I've said about myself is amusing. You seem to have created the very game you thought I was trying to play on you, and you fell right into your own game, and it has indeed amused me, even though that was never my aim.

So how about stop all this misdirecting obfuscating and just respond to the questions you were asked at the beginning?

For anyone who cares to go back and check, I attempted to address all questions that were asked of me from the beginning of this thread. I know I may have missed some, but not because I was trying to misdirect or obfuscate. Simply because I chose to spend the time I had to reply on the forum to you and TH and others who wanted to label me a liar. There was no misdirection on my part at all, and if there is a specific question you have of me, simply ask it, and I will answer you.

Last edited:

alwight

@reasonator
I think you've done all that's required for an intro thread.
TH really isn't so bad when you get to know him but Refractive will simply put atheists on ignore if they don't quickly buckle and crumble.
I suggest you get stuck into the rest of the forum. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
@reasonator
I think you've done all that's required for an intro thread.
TH really isn't so bad when you get to know him but Refractive will simply put atheists on ignore if they don't quickly buckle and crumble.
I suggest you get stuck into the rest of the forum. :e4e:
Eh, I was a bit snippy with him, more than I would have been on most days, even with the irksome gambit he played out. Started with zip and Chrys in their attempt to repackage dogma as rationalism in the gay marriage thread. I probably should have had a palate cleanser before diving back into disagreement with anyone else. :chuckle:

zoo22

I've said plenty to verify my story, but you refuse to accept anything I say. Let's be very straightforward here, what exactly could I tell you or demonstrate to you to verify my story to you? I almost don't think it's worth it to entertain your tests, since there is no reason for you to doubt my statements as true on face value, and since you don't fairly administer verification tests to everyone who posts on this forum, as I have shown in the way you have responded to Christians who introduce themselves here, but maybe I will try to meet your unreasonable tests if you can tell me exactly what it would take. My guess, there is nothing, even if you met me in person, that could convince you.

I think you're probably right... Kind of like some folks and birth certificates.

:plain:

Climb out of the "newbie" thread and step into the rest of the site. :)

Refractive

I don't know how you have been checking my background, but you are the one in this thread who said this: "I can be wrong. I am, in fact, trying to verify that he is exactly what he says he is. So far, not having much luck. I believe TH has been doing the same thing."

So it's not paranoia. You actually said you were doing that. .

woah

So THAT'S what this diatribe is all about?

Oh dear.

You just didn't read the context of that. So let me explain. I had been talking about when I came here and said I a was Catholic, and Catholics came into my Intro thread to see A. If I was and B. What kind.

When you come in with the speech, and you look like a troll because of it, I try to verify you are what you say by - now wait for it because it is a big forum secret - talking to you.

People with significant long-term backgrounds as Christians who then become atheists have things to say about that that are consistent. People who play games, they have things they say and do that are consistent, too.

I was asking questions in the beginning to allow you to establish yourself by your own testimony as who you purported to be. You've been defensive and guarded from your very first post.

Relax, kiddo. All you had to do was ask: what does that mean? Or read more carefully.

You got some good advice here, if you want to be part of the forums, go find some threads to post in.

cya 'round

Ref~

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Simply because I chose to spend the time I had to reply on the forum to you and TH and others who wanted to label me a liar. There was no misdirection on my part at all, and if there is a specific question you have of me, simply ask it, and I will answer you.
Now that's either you trying to make me feel better about being surlier than I needed to be or you're in need of a bit more reflection/distinction here. My point was always (and there's actually hope for you in this) that if you aren't trolling for fun or oddly ill considered you've missed a point and problem concerning the foundation of that earlier faith of yours, about what you believed you had or did and what you actually had or did that led you to apostasy, which is a process you and you alone began and entertained, that now finds you outside of the Body. So I necessarily, objectively rejected your "as much as" claim, you having demonstrably then held some portion of yourself in reserve (see my earlier love/trust comment and illustration) and that is an important difference and a certain recipe for failure. Beyond that I noted that feeling better about the idea of God not existing was less than reasonable, absent a very peculiar notion of His nature.

:e4e:

reasonator

woah

So THAT'S what this diatribe is all about?

Oh dear.

Ah, no. That is one small part of the larger conversation we are having.

I think many people who read what you said, about you trying to verify I am who I say I am but not having much luck, would interpret it the way I did. How else could you verify, if you've already asked me who I am, I've told you, and you still wouldn't believe?

If all you meant was that you talking to me, and trying to find out if I am truthful, then very well. But since I have consistently told you about my background, and have offered no actual reason for people to think I am lying, and you still don't believe me, then I suspect you will continue to have very little luck "verifying" my story.

As for moving on to other threads, I think I will do that. I hope we can get beyond this incessant need to make allegations that I am a liar playing poker games, and on to better conversation.

Cleekster

My personal belief system is atheism with a slight lean toward deism, but there was no deist option to choose when labeling ourselves in our profile, so I had to choose atheism.
As a Deist myself i found it extremely simple to choose "OTHER".
You didn't do that though did you?.....because you primarily consider yourself an Atheist so you chose Athiest.

say what you mean and mean what you say.

have a nice day.

Letsargue

No, not really. I did initially after I became non-religious. I missed singing praise songs, and I missed the fellowship with other people in church, and I missed regular discussions about theology and the Bible, but I guess that's where this forum will be useful. But other than the ability to have regular, interesting theological discussions, I don't miss anything about my former faith.

Maybe you can USE TOL to your benefit, and drag some of these to your one-sided faith. --- Looking forward to fencing with you.

Paul -- 081711