Has the Church Replaced Israel ?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Long as you understand their being Abrahams Spiritual Seed had nothing to with their ethnicity, it was strictly grace of election.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

beloved57

We know that the Church is Israel by the testimony of the Apostle Paul, who was the Apostle to the Gentiles, and a Minister of the New Testament/Covenant Rom 11:13

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

2 Cor 3:6

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The Same New Covenant as here Jer 31:31

Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

And notice his Testimony here Acts 28:20

For this cause therefore have I called for you, to see you, and to speak with you: because that for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.

His New Covenant Ministry as the Apostle of the Gentiles is the Hope of Israel. Thats the Mystery the jews despised him for, and ever persecuted him !

beloved57

That Paul understood the Church, the Body of Christ which included Gentiles who believed in Christ as well as jews, is Israel, we look at a sermon he preached in Acts 13:23,32-35

23 From this man’s seed, according to the promise, God raised up for Israel a[a] Savior—Jesus—

Now Paul at that time was speaking in a jewish synagogue, but notice that some Gentiles heard this message, that God raised up for Israel a Saviour, Jesus, who is going to save His People from their sins Matt 1:21 thats a promise. Notice again in that same sermon Pauls words again about God raising up Jesus

32 And we declare to you glad tidings—that promise which was made to the fathers. 33 God has fulfilled this for us their children, in that He has raised up Jesus. As it is also written in the second Psalm:

‘You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You.’
34 And that He raised Him from the dead, no more to return to [i]corruption, He has spoken thus:

‘I will give you the sure [j]mercies of David.’
35 Therefore He also says in another Psalm:

‘You will not allow Your Holy One to see corruption.’

Now notice starting at Vs 42 of the same chapter at the conclusion of that sermon, some Gentiles came to Paul, no doubt moved by the Spirit of God and said:

42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

The Gentiles wanted to hear the same Gospel Message preached to them as it was preached to the jews, and how Jesus was raised according to promise, a Gospel promise, a Saviour to Israel. See that was the Mystery unfolding, that the Gentiles were joint heirs with jews of the same Gospel promises to Israel Eph 3:1-6

For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for you Gentiles— 2 if indeed you have heard of the [a]dispensation of the grace of God which was given to me for you, 3 how that by revelation He made known to me the mystery (as I have briefly written already, 4 by which, when you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), 5 which in other ages was not made known to the sons of men, as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to His holy apostles and prophets: 6 that the Gentiles should be fellow heirs, of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ through the gospel

The Gospel promise spoken of back in Acts 13:23 on how Jesus was raised a Saviour to Israel ! Gentiles were included in that Israel, with Christ as their head, who was raised from the dead.

This is the Hope of Israel Paul was in chains for Acts 28:20

For this reason therefore I have called for you, to see you and speak with you, because for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.”

beloved57

For this reason therefore I have called for you, to see you and speak with you, because for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.”

Now this Hope of Israel of which Paul was in chain, the jews for the most part rejected it, for it wasnt what they thought, and it concerned the Lord Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God Acts 20:23

23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Some jews believed Paul Vs 24,25-27

24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.

Then Paul reminded them that God through Isaiah and the Holy Ghost had foretold this judgment upon the jews in their rejection of the the Messiah and His Kingdom and Salvation:

25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,

26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:

27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Mind you Paul is talking about " The Hope of Israel" Acts 28:20,

Then he says, that God was now sending this same message that the majority of the jews rejected regarding the Hope of Israel, and that they will hear it Vs 28-31

28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

This proves that the Gentiles had part in the Hope of Israel, the Church !

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Now this Hope of Israel of which Paul was in chain, the jews for the most part rejected it, for it wasnt what they thought, and it concerned the Lord Jesus Christ and the Kingdom of God Acts 20:23

23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening.

Some jews believed Paul Vs 24,25-27

24 And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.

Then Paul reminded them that God through Isaiah and the Holy Ghost had foretold this judgment upon the jews in their rejection of the the Messiah and His Kingdom and Salvation:

25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,

26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:

27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Mind you Paul is talking about " The Hope of Israel" Acts 28:20,

Then he says, that God was now sending this same message that the majority of the jews rejected regarding the Hope of Israel, and that they will hear it Vs 28-31

28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves.

30 And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

31 Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

This proves that the Gentiles had part in the Hope of Israel, the Church !
Wake up! The Church is not Israel. Show scripture specifically stating that the Church is Israel.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Wake up! The Church is not Israel. Show scripture specifically stating that the Church is Israel.

Which church?

One of them is Israel. The other is not.

B57 commits the fallacy of begging the question because his beliefs won't let him see both of them, only one.

Hoping

Banned
The church/body of Christ is not the nation/Israel, but they are the believers in Christ/Israel.
The unbelieving Jews have, in effect, cast themselves out of Israel.
A good presage of this circumstance are the two sons of Isaac...Jacob and Esau.
The church/body of Christ would be Jacob's off-spring and the unbelieving Jews would be Esau's off-spring.
But all of them came from Abraham.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The church/body of Christ is not the nation/Israel, but they are the believers in Christ/Israel.
The unbelieving Jews have, in effect, cast themselves out of Israel.
A good presage of this circumstance are the two sons of Isaac...Jacob and Esau.
The church/body of Christ would be Jacob's off-spring and the unbelieving Jews would be Esau's off-spring.

Not a single line of this comports with what Scripture says.

1) Israel is called a congregation. This congregation is not the same as the congregation of the believers in the Body of Christ.

The Body of Christ are those who have put their faith in Jesus Christ as lord and Savior. Israel was to follow the commandments of Christ, her Messiah and King.

Christ is not Israel.

2) God is the one who has cut off unbelieving Israel, not they themselves.

3) Jacob (aka Israel) and Esau (aka Edom) have very little, if anything, to do with the Body of Christ.

4) Wrong. First of all, Israel is called Israel because God gave Jacob, the father of the nation, a new name, "Israel." The nation of Israel is directly descended from him, and are thus called "Israel," just as "Edom" the nation is called that because Esau's nickname was Edom, because Edom means red. To see the significance of that, go read Genesis.

Second, Paul doesn't describe the relationship between the Body of Christ and Israel as "Jacob and Esau," but he refers to Isaac and Ishmael, the sons of Abraham, and for a different reason that would take an entire Bible study to explain.

But all of them came from Abraham.

Abraham is the father of MANY NATIONS, not just the grandfather of Israel (Jacob).

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Replacement Theology is one in which the church replaces Israel. Not so! From gotquestions.org

Replacement theology (also known as supersessionism) essentially teaches that the church has replaced Israel in God’s plan. Adherents of replacement theology believe the Jews are no longer God’s chosen people, and God does not have specific future plans for the nation of Israel. Among the different views of the relationship between the church and Israel are the church has replaced Israel (replacement theology), the church is an expansion of Israel (covenant theology), or the church is completely different and distinct from Israel (dispensationalism/premillennialism).

Replacement theology teaches that the church is the replacement for Israel and that the many promises made to Israel in the Bible are fulfilled in the Christian church, not in Israel. The prophecies in Scripture concerning the blessing and restoration of Israel to the Promised Land are spiritualized or allegorized into promises of God’s blessing for the church. Major problems exist with this view, such as the continuing existence of the Jewish people throughout the centuries and especially with the revival of the modern state of Israel. If Israel has been condemned by God and there is no future for the Jewish nation, how do we explain the supernatural survival of the Jewish people over the past 2,000 years despite the many attempts to destroy them? How do we explain why and how Israel reappeared as a nation in the 20th century after not existing for 1,900 years?

The view that Israel and the church are different is clearly taught in the New Testament. Biblically speaking, the church is distinct from Israel, and the terms church and Israel are never to be confused or used interchangeably. We are taught from Scripture that the church is an entirely new creation that came into being on the day of Pentecost and will continue until it is taken to heaven at the rapture (Ephesians 1:9–11; 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17). The church has no relationship to the curses and blessings for Israel. The covenants, promises, and warnings of the Mosaic Covenant were valid only for Israel. Israel has been temporarily set aside in God’s program during these past 2,000 years of dispersion (see Romans 11).

Contrary to replacement theology, dispensationalism teaches that, after the rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18), God will restore Israel as the primary focus of His plan. The first event at this time is the tribulation (Revelation chapters 6–19). The world will be judged for rejecting Christ, while Israel is prepared through the trials of the great tribulation for the second coming of the Messiah. Then, when Christ does return to the earth at the end of the tribulation, Israel will be ready to receive Him. The remnant of Israel who survive the tribulation will be saved, and the Lord will establish His kingdom on this earth with Jerusalem as its capital. With Christ reigning as King, Israel will be the leading nation, and representatives from all nations will come to Jerusalem to honor and worship the King—Jesus Christ. The church will return with Christ and will reign with Him for a literal thousand years (Revelation 20:1–5).

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament support a premillennial/dispensational understanding of God’s plan for Israel. The strongest support for premillennialism is found in the clear teaching of Revelation 20:1–7, where it says six times that Christ’s kingdom will last 1,000 years. After the tribulation the Lord will return and establish His kingdom with the nation of Israel, Christ will reign over the whole earth, and Israel will be the leader of the nations. The church will reign with Him for a literal thousand years. The church has not replaced Israel in God’s plan. While God may be focusing His attention primarily on the church in this dispensation of grace, God has not forgotten Israel and will one day restore Israel to His intended role as the nation He has chosen (Romans 11).

beloved57

The Inheritance to the Saints

The same Inheritance proves that the Church the Body of Christ is also Israel Spiritual from the OT, Paul writes Col 1:12-13

12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

This is not a physical inheritance but Spiritual and Heavenly, its the Inheritance promised the Saints of Old and which they looked for and desired, admitting they were pilgrims and strangers to this physical world Heb 11:8-16

8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:

10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God

11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.

15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.

16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly:
wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Its the Inheritance Paul refers to in Gal 3:16-18

16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

17 And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

And its the inheritance Peter writes of here 1 Pet 1:3-5

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Gentiles are included in this Inheritance as the seed of Abraham as we see in Col 1:12 and also Acts 26:17-18

17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,

18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance
among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Gentiles are called to this Eternal Inheritance Heb 9:15

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

marke

And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Jesus draws all men to Himself but those who refuse to come will not be invited to partake of His nature and promise.

Matthew 22

1 And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,

2 The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son,

3 And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come.

4 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.

5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them

beloved57

Israel and the Church are One because, not national israel, but Spiritual Israel of God, the elect remnant, because Israel /Jacob are the Lords Portion and His Inheritance Deut 32:9

For the Lord's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

The NT counterpart the Church now emerges as the same Eph 1:17-18

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints

The Church is in view here Ps 33:12

12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance

Remember Paul speaking of the Church said they were the Lords Chosen Eph 1:4,18

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

God doesnt have Two sets of chosen Inheritances, no they are One and the same people Chosen in Christ !

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Israel and the Church are One because, not national israel, but Spiritual Israel of God, the elect remnant, because Israel /Jacob are the Lords Portion and His Inheritance Deut 32:9

For the Lord's portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.

The NT counterpart the Church now emerges as the same Eph 1:17-18

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints

The Church is in view here Ps 33:12

12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance

Remember Paul speaking of the Church said they were the Lords Chosen Eph 1:4,18

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

God doesnt have Two sets of chosen Inheritances, no they are One and the same people Chosen in Christ !
Israel and the church are not one. Period and it makes no difference whether you are talking about natural or spiritual Israel

beloved57

The Mystery is that the Gentiles God has been calling is Israel.

Rom 11:23-27

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved:
as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

When the Fulness of the Gentiles have completed, then God has fulfilled the promise that all Israel shall be saved

Eph 3:3-8

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.

8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;

Rodger

Rom 9:6

6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:

No, The Church has always been Israel, but not Israel after the flesh, or the physical nation of Israel See within the physical nation of Israel was always a remnant according to the election of Grace, which is also Israel. Now under the Old Covenant Spiritual Israel, the Body of Christ was mostly comprised of saved jewish Christians. They would usually be persecuted by the non christian jews in the nation Matt 5:12

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets[Believers in Crist] which were before you.

Lk 13:34

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!

Now under the New Covenant, Body of Christ Israel the election of Grace has been multiplied by saving and grafting in multitudes into Spiritual Israel, which is still the Body of Christ ! So The Body of Christ, Israel according to the Spirit, the Election of Grace is not a replacement, it always has been, its now clarified who they are.
NO!

The promises made to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob were made to them and not the church.

Replacement theology is a false teaching that leads to a spiritualization of the Old and New Testament prophesies regarding the Jewish people. It supports amillennial theology, which teaches that we are now living in the one-thousand-year reign of Christ, where there is no rapture of the Church and no future promises for the nation of Israel.

Be wary of such non-Biblical teachings.