Guns!

Hilltrot

Indeed.

Rights are God-given, not government granted.
I’m not trying to argue with you or anything like that. But someone on another forum a few years back once pointed out that Constitutional rights are not Biblical. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I had problems finding a Biblical basis.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I’m not trying to argue with you or anything like that. But someone on another forum a few years back once pointed out that Constitutional rights are not Biblical. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I had problems finding a Biblical basis.

Some of the rights in the constitution (such as the "pursuit of happiness" in the DoI) aren't rights at all.

However, the right to life, the right to liberty (within the confines of a just law), the right to bear arms, and others, are Biblical.

- Life: "You shall not murder" - 10 Commandments
- Liberty: "Is it not lawful for Me to do what I want with my own money" - Jesus
- Purchase, own, and carry personal defense weapons: Jesus told His disciples to go and buy a sword or two.

There are a few which I'm not sure of any specific passage that deals specifically with, but I don't doubt they're supported Biblically.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Magnetic buckshot - Interesting concept - I wish they had done high speed photography and shot it into ballistic gel.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
...rights are not Biblical....
They're not. Commands, commandments, laws, they are biblical. Rights aren't.

That's totally fine. Rights come from moral philosophy, where they are the best way for us to formulate a theory of morals that's independent of religion.

Morals here means it's someone else's life, not yours, so leave them alone. And it's absolute, it's not consequentialist in any way. It's not because of how bad it is for you, that you shouldn't ever murder or rape or bear false witness against your neighbor under oath. Those things have nothing to do with you, that's other people, leave them alone, and that's absolute.

Rights under a natural rights legal theory should be protected by laws. Rights against being murdered, raped, and falsely accused of a crime, should have laws penalizing murder, rape, and false testimony.

So we do see rights in Scripture, when viewed from this angle, or through this lens. But we have to be careful that we don't use the lens wrongly, because otherwise we might start to believe that God thinks we have no right to work on Saturdays. And then we might think that making laws penalizing people who work on Saturdays is moral.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
They're not. Commands, commandments, laws, they are biblical. Rights aren't.

See my post above.

That's totally fine. Rights come from moral philosophy,

No, they don't. They come directly from God.

where they are the best way for us to formulate a theory of morals that's independent of religion.

Morals here means it's someone else's life, not yours, so leave them alone.

Romans 12:18

Which implies that it isn't always possible.

And it's absolute, it's not consequentialist in any way. It's not because of how bad it is for you, that you shouldn't ever murder or rape or bear false witness against your neighbor under oath.

Doing such things harms oneself AND those around him, and leads to death.

That's how it violates the rights of humans beings, because it infringes on the God-given right to life and all that it entails.

Those things have nothing to do with you, that's other people, leave them alone, and that's absolute.

I have a right to live my life without it being harmed by an evildoer. If someone violates that right, they must be punished in the interest of meeting the demands of justice.

Rights under a natural rights legal theory should be protected by laws.

Since rights are granted by the Creator at conception, that statement is completely meaningless.

Governments should enforce laws against crimes not because some legal theory says so, but because of the inherent God-given rights man has that those laws inherently protect.

Rights against being murdered, raped, and falsely accused of a crime, should have laws penalizing murder, rape, and false testimony.

Rights are not dependent on laws, nor require them.

So we do see rights in Scripture, when viewed from this angle, or through this lens.

The right to life existed before the law, "Do not murder."

The right to own property existed before the law, "Do not steal."

Those laws only further define the rights, they don't bring such rights into existence.

But we have to be careful that we don't use the lens wrongly, because otherwise we might start to believe that God thinks we have no right to work on Saturdays. And then we might think that making laws penalizing people who work on Saturdays is moral.

Sorry, but sabbath rests have nothing to do with this discussion.

Hilltrot

"Bans any assault weapon with the capacity to utilize a magazine that is not a fixed ammunition magazine and has one or more military characteristics including a pistol grip, a forward grip, a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel or a folding or telescoping stock. Owners may keep existing weapons."

Legal.

1615569946989.jpeg

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Is that why pink is such a popular color?
Lol

I remember going into a BassPro store when my little guy was probably 7 or 8. They had rifles on cables - you could pick them up, you could shoulder them, you could aim them - but they were tethered. I encouraged him to pick up a pink one. He wouldn't touch it.