Giving out rep

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't get it either.
Nothing to get. It's a number. People like what you have to say and give you a pos rep the number rises. They don't like it enough to neg rep you the number goes down.

In the old days the larger your rep the more you could impact that number either way. These days the larger rep scores can add twenty or more rep points per pos rep, but no matter who you are your neg rep will only deduct a single point, which means it's nigh unto impossible to damage a reputation meaningfully with neg rep and all neg rep amounts to is an objection with emphasis, since a pos rep by nearly anyone will undo the numerical damage and then some.

I'm sure TH can educate us. :rolleyes:
Always happy to help those in need. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think we need to start over with rep. Wipe the slate clean so to speak.

What do you think?
Suits me. I've been thinking about turning my public rep number off for a while now because it really doesn't signify. Can't tell you the last time I looked at anyone's or knew who was where on that line. But if you do you should consider a one rep, one point either way regardless and/or eliminate the neg rep entirely. It just fuels the worst impulses of people too often. To my mind the only real value in any of it is what I call the liner notes, a nice way to encourage without bogging threads down with atta-boys.

OCTOBER23

THE PLAIN TRUTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN SILLY REPS

Psalms 56:11 In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Aimiel

Most people on TOL who are Christian don't realize that by not giving rep when it is deserved: they may be sinning.

Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Aimiel

For some reason this thread reminds me of Nick, at the cash register, in Frank Capra's, "It's a Wonderful Life," where he was laughing and hitting the 'No Sale' button and saying, "Get me: I'm givin' out wings!" \o/

PureX

Rainee neg-repped me for my comment on a pos-rep thread.

That's SO TOL! :chuckle: