General Sports Thread

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can't believe no one is talking about LeBron

I'm still in shock.

I can't believe LeBron went back to Cleveland.

Now, there are rumors that Cleveland will trade 2014 #1 pick Wiggins to Minnesota for Kevin Love. Possibly even including 2013 #1 pick Anthony Bennett with Wiggins for Love.

LeBron, Love, and Kyrie Irving would be better than LeBron, Wade, and Bosch.

BTW, if Love does go to Cleveland, the Cavs should pick up free agent Rudy Gay. That would begin Cleveland's "LeBron-Gay-Love" era :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm still in shock.

Now, there are rumors that Cleveland will trade 2014 #1 pick Wiggins to Minnesota for Kevin Love. Possibly even including 2013 #1 pick Anthony Bennett with Wiggins for Love.

BTW, if Love does go to Cleveland, the Cavs should pick up free agent Rudy Gay. That would begin Cleveland's "LeBron-Gay-Love" era :chuckle:
:rotfl: That's awful, but funny. I'm happy for Cleveland and I think it's the right move. If he wants to cement it he should eschew the max deal to help bring in talent, because Cleveland needs help.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm happy for Cleveland

So am I, but I'm also happy for me. Cleveland is only 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house.

I haven't been to an NBA game since 2008 when the Lakers played the Cavs in Cleveland.

Now that LeBron is back, I'm looking forward to when the Cav's schedule comes out. I'm definitely going to at least one game.

My preference:

#1 Spurs @ Cleveland

#2 Thunder @ Cleveland

#3 Clippers @ Cleveland

#4 Lakers @ Cleveland

If Melo goes to Chicago, that may change things, but the Western teams only play at Cleveland once per season, while the Bulls will play a number of times at Cleveland.

Also, it should be interesting the first time the Heat play at Cleveland.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...If Melo goes to Chicago, that may change things, but the Western teams only play at Cleveland once per season, while the Bulls will play a number of times at Cleveland.

Melo is crazy if he doesn't jump at the Bulls now. With that talent and James watering things down he'd have a great shot at a title. But he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table. We're about to see what's more important to him, the chance for a ring or more money.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
the chance for a ring or more money.

Michael Jordan was a genius. He not only won 6 rings, he was the highest paid player each year he won 6 rings.

LeBron probably had the NBA Players Association mad at him. He had the audacity to take less money in order to win a ring. He was setting a bad example.

The NBA Players Association couldn't have its best player taking less money in order to win a ring.

However, even though LeBron will making the maximum salary, its a really good story for the NBA that he's returning to Cleveland.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Melo is crazy if he doesn't jump at the Bulls now.

I agree.

However, there's something about Phil Jackson. Maybe the fact that's he has won more NBA Championships than any other coach. Either that, or it's the Zen thing Phil has going on.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe the fact that's he has won more NBA Championships than any other coach.

And of course Michael Jordan and the Jordan rules of the NBA which later applied to the two best players in the league, Shaq and Kobe had nothing to do with it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Melo is crazy if he doesn't jump at the Bulls now. With that talent and James watering things down he'd have a great shot at a title. But he'd have to leave a lot of money on the table. We're about to see what's more important to him, the chance for a ring or more money.

Great shot? Maybe if Rose can stay healthy. If not, I'm doubtful. But it appears Melo is staying in NY now.

And Bosh is staying in Miami.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm still in shock.

:crackup:

I heard that Cleveland has said they won't include Wiggins in any trade. I'm not sure what else they have to get Love. I also heard that Irving just signed a new contract so it won't be him.

I think James-Wiggins-Irving would be a fun trio to have.

Cleveland isn't a city I normally root for but I will be in this case. I'd like to see James go back to his hometown and get them a title.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
So am I, but I'm also happy for me. Cleveland is only 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house.

I haven't been to an NBA game since 2008 when the Lakers played the Cavs in Cleveland.

Now that LeBron is back, I'm looking forward to when the Cav's schedule comes out. I'm definitely going to at least one game.

My preference:

#1 Spurs @ Cleveland

#2 Thunder @ Cleveland

#3 Clippers @ Cleveland

#4 Lakers @ Cleveland

If Melo goes to Chicago, that may change things, but the Western teams only play at Cleveland once per season, while the Bulls will play a number of times at Cleveland.

I also hope to see a game. I'm about 90 minutes from Philadelphia so I want to go for a Cleveland-Phila game.

Last year tickets to one of their games probably would have been dirt cheap. Now they will be much higher I imagine. :eek:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm about 90 minutes from Philadelphia

Too bad for you the 76'ers don't play a few games each year at Hershey Park Arena like they and the Philadelphia Warriors used to.

be2a5a235dd2efcf9dcc84ef4fec6cf6.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Chicago is getting a terrific supporting player in Gasol, though this means Rose needs to come back and stay relatively healthy. He does and people had better watch out, but Carmelo is now officially about the money, given his move to Chicago would have made them prohibitive favorites to my mind. Staying in a rebuilding New York means he cashes in and, if he's lucky, gets a year of David Robinson, where the really good team uses his last gasp to get over the hump.

Speaking of, I thought Pau should have gone to San Antonio, but that's life for you. He'd be a natural fit there and seriously extend their championship runs in the short term. Ah, well.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The NCAA is going to allow the SEC to cheat even more.

The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You should try that one again in green. :)

The NCAA Division I board of directors on Thursday voted 16-2 to allow the schools in the top five conferences to write many of their own rules. The autonomy measures -- which the power conferences had all but demanded -- will permit those leagues to decide on things such as cost-of-attendance stipends and insurance benefits for players, staff sizes, recruiting rules and mandatory hours spent on individual sports.
That would be all of the power conferences, not only the SEC.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
The rich get richer. Same ol song. Inevitable given the conferences are getting so rich and powerful they could kick the NCAA to the curb at some point.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11328442/judge-rules-ncaa-ed-obannon-antitrust-case

In a landmark decision, a federal judge ruled Friday that the NCAA is in violation of the nation's antitrust laws by restricting the compensation that major college football and men's basketball student-athletes can receive for use of their names, images and likenesses.

U.S. District Court Judge Claudia Wilken, in a 99-page decision that followed a contentious three-week trial in June, sided with a group of plaintiffs, led by former UCLA basketball player Ed O'Bannon, who sued the NCAA, claiming it violated antitrust laws by conspiring with the schools and conferences to block the athletes from getting a share of the revenues generated from the use of their images in broadcasts and video games.

I have mixed feelings on this, but the main point is the NCAA and others don't get to sell his jersey, then say he can not earn income.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
General Sports Headlines...

Alonzo Morning into NBA Hall of Fame: "Is That the One in Cleveland?" ask bemused fans

Or, seriously, why isn't the NBA HOF a bigger deal? Why don't we see the build up and hoopla? Who knows when it usually happens and where the actual HOF is?

One reason basketball isn't thought of as it should be. Huge marketing opportunity rolling off the rim.

The Berean

General Sports Thread

There is no NBA Hall of Fame. The existing Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA is not exclusive to NBA players. This Hall of Fame inducts college players, international players, and female players as well. Perhaps this hurts the Basketball Hall of Fame stature?

Posted from the TOL App!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
State by state is still fairly close...to be fair.
Heck, I'd be voting in the red on that one. But my point wasn't a popular wave (though it does seem closer than I would have thought possible) and the poll isn't contradicting me on it.

Now with the new restrictions on use of image factoring in, the championship playoff and this latest diminishing of central control...college football is on the cusp of what appears to be serious alteration.