Favorite Quotations

Buzzword

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
-Aldous Huxley

“The world is always a democracy in times of flux, and the man with the best voice will win. Everybody thinks Hitler got to power because of his armies, because they were willing to kill, and that's partly true, because in the real world power is always built on the threat of death and dishonor. But mostly he got to power on words, on the right words at the right time.”
-Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

“Nineteen sixty-eight was the year that rock grew up, and its audience grew with it. Not into adulthood, with all the graying, bearded maturity which that condition normally portends, but into a state of calm, reasoning responsibility, and the awareness that, if governments were no longer capable of leading, then somebody else needed to step up to the plate and do it for them.”
-Dave Thompson, I Hate New Music: The Classic Rock Manifesto

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet.
Will Rogers

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Will Rogers

If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?
Will Rogers

People's minds are changed through observation and not through argument.
Will Rogers

From the movie Serenity:

Jayne Cobb: Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Bilbo: I'm old, Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel... thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday. A very long holiday. And I don't expect I shall return. In fact I mean not to.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Buzzword

“They become more personable as you head south, the people. You sit in a diner and, along with your coffee and your food, they bring you comments, questions, smiles, and nods.”
-Neil Gaiman, "Bitter Grounds"

“Some days I remember when the white people came to this land, and when the black people stumbled ashore in chains. I remember when the red people walked to this land, when the land was younger. I remember when the land was alone.”
-Neil Gaiman, "Pages From a Journal Found in a Shoebox in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere between Tulsa, Oklahoma and Louisville, Kentucky"

“The anthems from my revolution are now background music in TV commercials for cholesterol pills, onboard navigation systems for gas-guzzling SUVs, and hedge funds.”
-Christopher Buckley, Boomsday

“It’s never a soldier’s business to decide when or where or how – or why – he fights; that belongs to the statesmen and the generals. The statesmen decide why and how much; the generals take it from there and tell us where and when and how. We supply the violence; other people – ‘older and wiser heads,’ as they say – supply the control.”
-Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"Molan labe." ("come and take them.")

-Leonidas of Sparta to the Persian general demanding that the Spartans lay down their arms.

"If I enter your territories, I will destroy you all, never to rise again."
Phillip of Macedon to the Spartans

"If." Reply of the Spartans

Buzzword

“Being blind, you’d have all others blind as well;
The clear-eyed man you call an infidel,
And he who sees through humbug and pretense
Is charged, by you, with want of reverence.”
-Moliere, Tartuffe

“It was the fight of man against monster, and it was old as time: it was Theseus battling the Minotaur, it was Beowulf and Grendel, it was the fight of every hero who had ever stood between the firelight and the darkness and wiped the blood of something inhuman from his sword.”
-Neil Gaiman, "The Monarch of the Glen"

“Times change, and God’s people must be prepared to change with those times. The time for men to lord authority over women is over, whether inside or outside the church. Instead, we should be working together as equals, for equals we surely are. In light of my earlier observation – namely that women do 90 percent of the work in most churches – I have a question. Ladies, have you considered a strike?”
-Oliver Thomas, 10 Things Your Minister Wants to Tell You (But can't, because he needs the job)

“A mature artist never calls attention to himself, and a wise artist never does anything merely because it breaks convention.”
-Robert McKee, Story

Last edited:

Quincy

“I have my own method of bending spoons. (bends the spoon with his hands) Ha! Muscle over mind!” — Ash

“Uh, my… name… is… Ketchup! No, wait! My name is really Tom Ato!” — Ash

“Let’s eat fast so we can eat again!” — Ash

“And I thought you were going to buy a stone to evolve yourself.” — Ash

I love Pokemon :D

Last edited:

Buzzword

“The weakest possible reason to include anything in a story is: ‘But it actually happened.’”
-Robert McKee, Story

I've lost track of the number of "memoir novel" manuscripts I've read that had huge plot holes and/or massive chunks of useless exposition whose presence was explained with the above reasoning.

Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times. - W. C. Fields

How well I remember my first encounter with The Devil's Brew. I happened to stumble across a case of bourbon--and went right on stumbling for several days thereafter. - W. C. Fields

A woman drove me to drink, and I'll be a son-of-a-gun but I never even wrote to thank her. - W. C. Fields

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
"Let a discrete channel have the capacity C and a discrete source the entropy per second H.If H ≤ C there exists a coding system such that the output of the source can be transmitted over the channel with an arbitrarily small frequency of errors (or an arbitrarily small equivocation). If H > C it is possible to encode the source so that the equivocation is less than
H−C+ǫ where ǫ is arbitrarily small. There is no method of encoding which gives an equivocation less than H−C."

Claude Shannon, explaining why the internet, as we know it, is possible.