Fasting from Music

heir

TOL Subscriber
:chuckle:

I think it's a very real possibility, sister!
All this talk about fasting and I'm eating my words. The Panthers had a very impressive first half and held on for the victory! They could do no wrong and my Hawks were falling all over the place. My team did represent in the second half, but it just wasn't enough. Congrats on the win!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
All this talk about fasting and I'm eating my words. The Panthers had a very impressive first half and held on for the victory! They could do no wrong and my Hawks were falling all over the place. My team did represent in the second half, but it just wasn't enough. Congrats on the win!

All this talk about fasting done flung a cravin' on me fer popcorn.

:popcorn:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I need and do practice a lot of silence.

:thumb:

Me, too.

:)

I love music, but I need silence. Each is complementary to the other, each leads to the other. The same with conversation and silence, although my equilibrium is maintained with more silence than conversation, since music can be experienced in solitude and conversation can't (unless I'm talking to myself, which happens on occasion). :)

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I love music, but I need silence. Each is complementary to the other, each leads to the other. The same with conversation and silence, although my equilibrium is maintained with more silence than conversation, since music can be experienced in solitude and conversation can't (unless I'm talking to myself, which happens on occasion). :)

try adoration
I call it quiet time
some call it meditation
it is just sitting there and letting your mind wander

musterion

I'll be the weirdo.

I live in relative silence. Family talking, yes, but no cable or satellite for over 10 years, record player ditched before the move, DVD player only occasionally, no streaming anything, very little music played around the house. The wife listens to CCM in her car (sigh :nono: ) but I never do. Christian radio [preaching] sometimes but that's like picking D-Con out of pudding...lots of station flipping, then the OFF button. Even the net gets too pointless and time-wasting after awhile (TOL usually being an exception). I do have a lot of music on my phone that I'll listen to sometimes at work through a wireless speaker but only when I think about it, which isn't often.

It's not that I don't dislike all of what we have available to us-- though I do dislike alot of it -- or that it's distracting...I just don't find much out there worth dwelling on. Not much substance anywhere anymore, if there ever really was.

Best to you on your sensory fast, STP! It'll be for the best.

PS I did just get a CD of Scourby reading Romans for the car, so there's that.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I've listened to music pretty much all day, everyday, for years and years. I decided to fast from music this week. :singer::drum::guitar:

The results:

Mind less cluttered/less distracted
Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I plan to continue the fast, for the time being.

Can I ask what type(s) of music you listened to?

I go through phases with music at work. I used to listen to music all the time. I then started to incorporate sports/news radio either some or most of the time. This past year I was so busy at work I didn't listen to anything much because it was a distraction. Things are slowing down but I haven't gotten back into radio habit yet. Most times I have nothing on.

I do enjoy silence in the mornings though. I am usually at work before anyone else and if I'm not listening to the radio it's extremely quiet. It's very peaceful. I don't think I'll ever go back to listening to the radio during that time. Once everyone else gets there it can be nice to listen to something to balance out the other noise.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I have heard that listening to mozart before taking a test will help

somehow it orders the mind
and
improves your ability to think

mozart puts all the notes in the right place

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I've listened to music pretty much all day, everyday, for years and years. I decided to fast from music this week. :singer::drum::guitar:

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I have been trying to fast from all rock'n roll music and changed to hymns.

It is hard to give up all my favorite music form 70's.

SaulToPaul 2

Can I ask what type(s) of music you listened to?

I go through phases with music at work. I used to listen to music all the time. I then started to incorporate sports/news radio either some or most of the time. This past year I was so busy at work I didn't listen to anything much because it was a distraction. Things are slowing down but I haven't gotten back into radio habit yet. Most times I have nothing on.

I do enjoy silence in the mornings though. I am usually at work before anyone else and if I'm not listening to the radio it's extremely quiet. It's very peaceful. I don't think I'll ever go back to listening to the radio during that time. Once everyone else gets there it can be nice to listen to something to balance out the other noise.

Mostly listened to rock from the 70s and 80s.

It's been a week now since I've listened to any music. I even workout in silence.

I'm still enjoying the lack of clutter going into my brain.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I have heard that listening to mozart before taking a test will help

somehow it orders the mind
and
improves your ability to think

mozart puts all the notes in the right place

Classical is one of the things I listen to sometimes at work. It's nice. Peaceful. Not too distracting.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Mostly listened to rock from the 70s and 80s.
Good choices. But perhaps that was part of your problem.

It's been a week now since I've listened to any music. I even workout in silence.
How do you get pumped up though? :chuckle:

I'm still enjoying the lack of clutter going into my brain.
Glad you are enjoying it. Hope it continues. :thumb:

If you ever go back to music you could probably find some genres that aren't quite so 'cluttering'.

ClimateSanity

Good choices. But perhaps that was part of your problem.

How do you get pumped up though? :chuckle:

Glad you are enjoying it. Hope it continues. :thumb:

If you ever go back to music you could probably find some genres that aren't quite so 'cluttering'.

Music doesn't clutter my brain. It gets my thoughts organized and weeds out the harmful ones.

But then again, I have iheart music. I don't just listen to random radio noise. I tailor it to my tastes.

Jeep

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I like this. I don't really listen to music, and don't have cable, but I do (binge) watch DVD TV seasons from the library. I need to fast from that...stupid shows, mind numbing.

I actually need to listen to music on my way to work, because I think about work constantly, and need to take my mind of work. But I don't. I drive to work in silence, thinking about work, having fictitious conversations or imagining things that will probably never occur.

In my case, I need to listen to more music and watch less DVD's.:)

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

The results:

Clearer thoughts
More productive
More in tune with myself
Enhanced peacefulness

I listen less because my mind has been in the basket on these meds.