Everyone Will Die For His Own Sin

Jerry Shugart

On the "Jews for Judaism" website we read:

Throughout the Bible, G-d says that one person cannot die for the sins of another:

“But everyone will die for his own sin; each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge” (Jeremiah 31:30).​

“The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself”
(Ezekiel 18:20).​

All these Jews prove is the fact that they do not really understand what these verses are teaching. In both instances the discussion revolves around a proverb that was going around at that time:

"What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?" (Ez.18:2).​

The point of the proverb was that the children were suffering because of their parent's sin. So these people were blaming the LORD for punishing them unjustly:

"Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?"
(Ez.18:25).​

So what is being said is that people will not be punished because of what other's did but instead as a result of ones own sin.

"That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live" (Ez.18:17).​

Nothing said in these verses forbid the idea that the Lord Jesus was made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. In fact, the OT speaks of a substitutionary atonement:

"Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD, ye shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock....And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him" (Lev.1:2,4).​

daqq

On the "Jews for Judaism" website we read:
Throughout the Bible, G-d says that one person cannot die for the sins of another:

“But everyone will die for his own sin; each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge” (Jeremiah 31:30).​

“The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son’s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself”
(Ezekiel 18:20).​

All these Jews prove is the fact that they do not really understand what these verses are teaching. In both instances the discussion revolves around a proverb that was going around at that time:

"What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?" (Ez.18:2).​

The point of the proverb was that the children were suffering because of their parent's sin. So these people were blaming the LORD for punishing them unjustly:

"Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?"
(Ez.18:25).​

So what is being said is that people will not be punished because of what other's did but instead as a result of ones own sin.
"That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live" (Ez.18:17).​

Nothing said in these verses forbid the idea that the Lord Jesus was made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. In fact, the OT speaks of a substitutionary atonement:
"Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD, ye shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock....And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him" (Lev.1:2,4).​

You cannot get there from your perspective:

That is not what the passage says, it says the soul of the flesh, (not "a creature").

Leviticus 17:11
11 For the soul of the flesh is in the blood; and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that makes an atonement for the soul.

And the above I know and believe to be absolutely true: for every one shall die for his own iniquity, (the soul that sins shall die), and that is the new covenant teaching even according to the prophet Jeremiah, (Jer 31:30), and that is precisely why the altar of sacrifice is the heart: for the blood is given for atonement upon the altar. Therefore, I died, and the Testimony of Messiah is in my very blood by way of the consumption of his Testimony, (and drinking of the same Spirit), and therefore righteous blood of true atonement is always upon the altar of the adamah-soil of my heart. You apparently have the blood of creatures on your altar by way of your preferred translation: but if you do not bring your offerings to the one whose name is the Door, (of the Mishkan-Tabernacle), then you by default offer your offerings unto devils, (Lev 17:3-6,7).

Matthew 10:38-39
38 And the one not taking up his own cross and following after me is not worthy of me.
39 The one that finds his soul shall apollumi-destroy it; and the one apollumi-destroying his soul for my sake shall find it.

Matthew 16:23-27
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get behind me, Satan: you are an offense to me: for you savor not the things that be of Elohim, but the things that be of men.
24 Then said Yeshua to his disciples, If anyone will come after me, let him utterly disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his soul shall apollumi-destroy it: and whosoever will apollumi-destroy his soul for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and forfeit his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
27 For the Son of Man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

Mark 8:34-38
34 And he called unto him the multitude with his disciples, and said unto them, If anyone would come after me, let him utterly disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever would save his soul shall apollumi-destroy it; and whosoever shall apollumi-destroy his soul for my sake and that of the gospel shall save it.
36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?
37 For what should a man give in exchange for his soul?
38 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man also shall be ashamed of him, when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Luke 9:23-26
23 And he said unto all, If anyone would come after me, let him utterly disown himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever would save his soul shall apollumi-destroy it; but whosoever shall apollumi-destroy his soul for my sake, the same shall save it.
25 For what is a man profited if he gain the whole world and apollumi-destroy or forfeit himself?
26 For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of Man be ashamed, when he comes in his own glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.

Luke 14:27
27 Whosoever does not bear his own stake, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

John 12:24-26
24 Amen-amen, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit.
25 He that loves his soul shall apollumi-destroy it; and he that hates his soul in this world shall keep it unto life aionion.
26 If anyone serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if anyone serve me, him will my Father honor.

Apollumi : destroy : perish : tear down : put to death : Strong's #622
Mortify your members which are upon your land, (Colossians 3:5).

The soul that sins shall die: but thanks to Messiah, through his Testimony of grace, we can understand how to die the supernal Way that is pleasing to the Father of Life, (as living sacrifices).

daqq

So you deny the substitutionary atonement of the Lord Jesus?

Are you going to keep going on until you have nothing left? :crackup:
What you say herein below, (highlighted in red), is a misreading of the passage:

...the Lord Jesus was made sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him...

You can only truly understand what that passage says and means, (2Cor 5:21), by checking the Septuagint usage of the same and similar phrases. But if I tried to show it to you then you and yours would simply do the same you always do, claiming I am twisting the scriptures, or start calling me a "Bible corrector", so go ahead and believe what you will; but I see that yet again you have nothing to say about all those statements from the Messiah which I just posted in my last post. Why is it you never respond directly to the posts full of the Testimony of the Messiah but then you come back a page or two later and start speaking in direct opposition to his Testimony which has been posted? Do you think that nobody notices when you do that?

You are only fooling yourself.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
John 12:24-26
24 Amen-amen, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit.
25 He that loves his soul shall apollumi-destroy it; and he that hates his soul in this world shall keep it unto life aionion.
26 If anyone serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if anyone serve me, him will my Father honor.[/COLOR]

Apollumi : destroy : perish : tear down : put to death : Strong's #622
Mortify your members which are upon your land, (Colossians 3:5).

The soul that sins shall die: but thanks to Messiah, through his Testimony of grace, we can understand how to die the supernal Way that is pleasing to the Father of Life, (as living sacrifices).

:jump:

daqq

That's not what he said.

King James Bible
Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Bingo, you posted the correct understanding of the passage Jerry misquoted. :)
The one knowing no sin offered a sin-offering in our behalf, (2Cor 5:21a).

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Bingo, you posted the correct understanding of the passage Jerry misquoted. :)
The one knowing no sin offered a sin-offering in our behalf, (2Cor 5:21a).

May be he's spent too much time in dispensationism.

Us Gentiles didn't need no high Priest.:dizzy:

Jerry Shugart

Us Gentiles didn't need no high Priest.

Gentile unbelievers have no High Priest but believers do:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

What do you bring to the door?

When I was baptized into Christ I was baptized into His death (Ro.6:3) and this resulted:

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed"
(1 Pet.2:24).​

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Gentile unbelievers have no High Priest but believers do:

"Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make atonement for the sins of the people" (Heb.2:17).​

Not your typical Dispy, are yuh?

Thanks for that. :)

Jerry Shugart

So is this how one is to die the supernal Way?

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship" (Ro.12:1).​

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So is this how one is to die the supernal Way?

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship" (Ro.12:1).​

That kind of sacrifice is no atonement for sin as Daqq thinks it is.

LA