Ebenezer Scrooge: Conservative or Liberal?

Arthur Brain

Aww. Look at SOD sticking up for poor little Lighthouse. You listen to SOD, you bullies! What did Lighthouse ever do to you?

Yes indeed. I mean there's just no call to criticize LH for coming onto a thread and espousing views simply because he admits to being ignorant of Dickens, his politics and his work.

:plain:

MrRadish

Yes indeed. I mean there's just no call to criticize LH for coming onto a thread and espousing views simply because he admits to being ignorant of Dickens, his politics and his work.

:plain:

And to be disrespectful to someone so consistently polite and good-natured as LH... outrageous.

some other dude said:
You poor little fellers are just desperate for any kind of attention at all, aren't you?

Bless your little hearts!

... Says SOD, interrupting discussion on a thread which had already moved on by the time he posted. :chuckle:

PureX

To a typical 'TOL' conservative, Scrooge will look like a raging liberal commie pinko scumbag (because he gave his employee a goose). To a normal human being, he will look like a typical conservative jerk who was finally frightened into doing the right thing just to save his own butt.

Arthur Brain

To a typical 'TOL' conservative, Scrooge will look like a raging liberal commie pinko scumbag (because he gave his employee a goose). To a normal human being, he will look like a typical conservative jerk who was finally frightened into doing the right thing just to save his own butt.

Gotta disagree with that assessment to be honest. I think it's obvious that throughout the visitations Scrooge has a genuine change of heart over his character than simply wanting to save his own butt. Had that been the actual intent the story would be far less powerful as a result.

oatmeal

Just for fun, what would you say?

I read A Christmas Carol every year, and every year I have a different insight into the characters in the story, most particularly Ebenezer Scrooge.

For those of you who are familiar with Dickens' work (or, at the very least, a good theatrical version), do you believe that Scrooge was a liberal or a conservative?

I have my opinion, which I will share, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Think carefully.

He was a liberal before the visits.

Conservatives out give liberals hands down.

Scrooge, like liberals, are as tight fisted as they can be.

Buzzword

I'll give this thread a bump. The Ghost of Christmas threads past.

template.jpg

This thread has quite possibly the largest concentration of irrational conservative vitriol (and subsequent mocking by rational individuals) in TOL history.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:think: Well, I know one thing for certain, he wasn't a ghost. :eek:

Oh alright, I'd say he was a conservative who followed the old axiom from liberal youth, but found his extremism had robbed him of the point and ultimately found a balance between commerce and humanity.

Now there's a moderate's carol. :poly:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not enough information to know which one he was, there are crotchety greedy people in both camps and there are moments of awakening amoung people in both camps sometimes.

PureX

I don't think Scrooge is either one (conservative or liberal). I think he's just selfish, mean-spirited, and greedy to a degree that makes it easy for us to see. That isn't a trait that is intrinsic to either conservatives or liberals, though I suppose in more recent years these have been touted occasionally as virtues by people who call themselves "fiscal conservatives".

But even these "fiscal conservatives" are probably being somewhat mislabeled. Just because someone is wealthy, and wants to stay that way, and therefor tends to strongly support the status quo (the real definition of a conservative) that doesn't mean that being wealthy, greedy, mean-spirited, and supporting the status quo is the full and only definition of conservatism.

And in the story, Scrooge is wealthy, greedy and mean-spirited, but he is not depicted as being particularly supportive of the status quo, which is to my mind the defining factor of "conservatism". So I don't see Scrooge as being particularly conservative.

As to Scrooge being a libertarian, I don't know what to say. Libertarians are mostly just idiots, and I don't see Scrooge as being an idiot.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Liberal at first (tight with his money, no desire to be charitable); conservative at the end of the story (he saw the flaws of his liberal ways and changed).

quip

BANNED
Banned
Funny, I always viewed Scrooge as the quintessential fiscally conservative (selfish) miser that eventually liberated himself from his self-serving propensities.

Happy Holidays all! :wave2: