Does Calvinism Make God Unjust?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Calvinists also believe that one must first be "Regenerated" before they can receive saving faith. That's the proverbial, "Cart before the horse" explanation.

popsthebuilder

You "desperately" need to learn how to use "Spell check," pal.
Really.. that's the best you have to offer?

Ridicule a brother in faith of spelling as if that is worth rebuke or even makes what I say beyond comprehension.

Thanks for that peaceable giving spirit.

You no doubt are rightly guided.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

nikolai_42

Calvinists see no free will in the Scriptures. My favorite verse to prove that humanity has a free will is, Matthew 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

How can one look at that verse and many others and NOT see the free will of mankind?

Interesting thing about that verse - it seems Jesus was speaking to one group and about another. Reading it again :

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Matthew 23:37

He is speaking to Jerusalem about her children and Jerusalem (whether this is the leaders of the Jews or something more heavenly, it doesn't matter) would not let Jesus gather her children. In other words, the children of Jerusalem were bound to something. They weren't utterly free. So this verse tends to disprove the freedom many non-Calvinists believe men have. Indeed, Jesus even said that He spoke in parables so that many would not believe - only those to whom it was given would hear (Matthew 13:11-16).

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Really.. that's the best you have to offer?

Ridicule a brother in faith of spelling as if that is worth rebuke or even makes what I say beyond comprehension.

Thanks for that peaceable giving spirit.

You no doubt are rightly guided.

Peace

Just trying to help you out a bit. After all, you don't want to look "Uneducated," do you? Well, perhaps you don't mind. It's best to be able to articulate one's thoughts, intelligently. But, that's just me.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Interesting thing about that verse - it seems Jesus was speaking to one group and about another. Reading it again :

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Matthew 23:37

He is speaking to Jerusalem about her children and Jerusalem (whether this is the leaders of the Jews or something more heavenly, it doesn't matter) would not let Jesus gather her children. In other words, the children of Jerusalem were bound to something. They weren't utterly free. So this verse tends to disprove the freedom many non-Calvinists believe men have. Indeed, Jesus even said that He spoke in parables so that many would not believe - only those to whom it was given would hear (Matthew 13:11-16).

Sorry, you haven't convinced me. However, don't give up hope, there are plenty of ignorant and naive folks out there ready to jump on anything that sounds "half way" feasible.

popsthebuilder

Just trying to help you out a bit. After all, you don't want to look "Uneducated," do you? Well, perhaps you don't mind. It's best to be able to articulate one's thoughts, intelligently. But, that's just me.
Yes, it's quite obvious from your initial response that you only had the most sincere and innocent demeanor.

I'm certain you understood it regardless the spelling/ grammatical errors.

And to answer your point; I do not care what any man thinks of me and strive to articulate what I think to the best of my abilities. Spell check on tapatalk on my phone is a little quirky at times, and I obviously don't catch many errors.

Sincerely,

Peace

popsthebuilder

Sorry, you haven't convinced me. However, don't give up hope, there are plenty of ignorant and naive folks out there ready to jump on anything that sounds "half way" feasible.
Is Calvinism refutation of free will, or admittance that regardless of the gift of free will, GOD, in His omniscience and omnipotence knows what will be chosen by each individual?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Yes, it's quite obvious from your initial response that you only had the most sincere and innocent demeanor.

I'm certain you understood it regardless the spelling/ grammatical errors.

And to answer your point; I do not care what any man thinks of me and strive to articulate what I think to the best of my abilities. Spell check on tapatalk on my phone is a little quirky at times, and I obviously don't catch many errors.

Sincerely,

Peace

Why should your fellow posters have to decipher what you're trying to say?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Is Calvinism refutation of free will, or admittance that regardless of the gift of free will, GOD, in His omniscience and omnipotence knows what will be chosen by each individual?

There's a difference between having "Pre-knowledge" and purposely choosing the Elect before the foundation of the world. Can you see that difference?

nikolai_42

Fortunately, convincing you isn't my job.

EDIT : The only thing I add is that if Jesus was talking to exactly the same people in both cases, why say "ye" once and "thy children" the next time. Who is the "thy" of "thy children"?

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

There's a difference between having "Pre-knowledge" and purposely choosing the Elect before the foundation of the world. Can you see that difference?
No.. Not really.

They are the same.

If God had the knowledge of exactly who will choose what and has given us the free will to turn either towards or from Him then that is the same as ordaining it to be so. Did GOD not ordain free will? Does GOD not know what we will choose?

Which do you refute in order to conclude that the course of man is ordained yet in his sight he has free choice?

Peace, thanks for replying.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
No.. Not really.

They are the same.

If God had the knowledge of exactly who will choose what and has given us the free will to turn either towards or from Him then that is the same as ordaining it to be so. Did GOD not ordain free will? Does GOD not know what we will choose?

Which do you refute in order to conclude that the course of man is ordained yet in his sight he has free choice?

Peace, thanks for replying.

Well, if you and I can't even agree on one simple fact, there's no sense going any further, right?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

However, Calvinists believe that God "Chose" before the foundation of the world, who would be part of the Elect, right? Therefore, it has nothing to do with humanities free will, but, God's choice of who would and who wouldn't be of the Elect, correct?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
You Calvinists think you're all, "Bible Scholar Extraordinaire," don't you?

John Calvin was an extraordinary Bible scholar, so :wave:

However, Calvinists believe that God "Chose" before the foundation of the world, who would be part of the Elect, right? Therefore, it has nothing to do with humanities free will, but, God's choice of who would and who wouldn't be of the Elect, correct?

God predetermined how He would conduct His will beforehand, foreknowing the events that would come. Therefore, He predetermined His elect.
That is why making a difference between 'foreknowledge' and 'predestination' is wrong. That doesn't even exist in traditional theology- it's funny because not only do you all not understand predestination, but you don't seem to have a good grasp on the contrary either.