Do You Like Yourself?

bybee

I ask because I have spent a good amount of my time on this earth not liking myself. I was not aware that I did not like myself until I began to question my judgementalism.
I rarely received a compliment from my parents and they were hyper critical of any of my efforts. Trying to please and falling short set a pattern of internal negative thinking.
This is something on which I work to change.

What about you?

Quincy

You're a great person to like, bybee! Improving yourself is always a worthwhile pursuit, as well.

I like myself well enough. The key to that, for me, has been following my conscience regardless of what other people pressure me to do. Which usually has meant I'm not the most well liked person and due to that I'm a rather aloof fella. We all have imperfections worth working on, for sure.

brinny

I ask because I have spent a good amount of my time on this earth not liking myself. I was not aware that I did not like myself until I began to question my judgementalism.
I rarely received a compliment from my parents and they were hyper critical of any of my efforts. Trying to please and falling short set a pattern of internal negative thinking.
This is something on which I work to change.

What about you?

I can relate. Thank you for sharing, sister in Christ and beloved daughter of the Most High God.

I used to literally loathe myself, and with that comes a loathing if you will of others, mostly if they were bullies or mean or detestable. I would take them down.

I didn't realize nor would i listen to what it meant to forgive, etc. and what that unfortunately means, is that i could not/would not forgive myself, which is a terribly caustic poison not only for others, but also for oneself.

It was not until God Himself showed me His Father heart that i began to "see" or grasp His love for me. I just didn't fathom how ANYONE could love me, cuz i hated myself.

God mooooves inexplicably, tho', doesn't He. He DOES complete what He begins in us. And He began a process in me i never thought i'd see. He "won" my heart with His oh sooo gentle proddings and "hugs". He taught me that He has a sense o' humor and i found myself laughing WITH Him at my silliness of being stressed out as i was getting ready for work, thinking i'd be late. It's like He said "stop". And then it's like He said "what are you doing?" And as i paused, i saw how utterly comical i was, and He and i both laughed at His very silly daughter. It was a breakthrough BIG TIME. I had caught a glimpse of our Father's very precious heart towards me.

Fast-forwarding, He moved on to teach me to trust Him in something i preferred not to even think about or consider: "forgiveness". He KNEW i had to embrace it for my OWN healing. But i didn't at the time. He walked me through forgiving those who had hurt me so terribly. And then it happened. Through this process He had enabled me to "like" myself as i left the self-loathing behind. It was after forgiving others that i was able to forgive myself.

That's a profound question, by the way. Thank you for starting this precious thread.

It's like a "healing thread", isn't it?

I really needed this today, because i was feeling distant from God. This thread got me to thinking and remembering how very GOOD our God is.

God bless you sister in Christ and much beloved daughter of the Most High God. May He bless yer socks off (((hug)))

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What about you?

good topic
but
I wonder who will be honest about this

regrets I have a few
but
I won't mention them

I played it safe
maybe I should have taken more chances
I have often wondered about that guy who buried his one talent
I hope that is not me
I am comfortable, maybe too comfortable
one wife, two kids, and three grandchildren
I see many with more of everything
but
don't really think I deserve what I have
I am happy with myself
but
do think I could have done better, much better
but
it is not over yet
so
I will keep trying

brinny

good topic
but
I wonder who will be honest about this

regrets I have a few
but
I won't mention them

I played it safe
maybe I should have taken more chances
I have often wondered about that guy who buried his one talent
I hope that is not me
I am comfortable, maybe too comfortable
one wife, two kids, and three grandchildren
I see many with more of everything
but
don't really think I deserve what I have
I am happy with myself
but
do think I could have done better, much better
but
it is not over yet
so
I will keep trying

you sound blessed, brother :)

bybee

You're a great person to like, bybee! Improving yourself is always a worthwhile pursuit, as well.

I like myself well enough. The key to that, for me, has been following my conscience regardless of what other people pressure me to do. Which usually has meant I'm not the most well liked person and due to that I'm a rather aloof fella. We all have imperfections worth working on, for sure.

Ah Quincy! I'm always glad to hear from you.

bybee

I can relate. Thank you for sharing, sister in Christ and beloved daughter of the Most High God.

I used to literally loathe myself, and with that comes a loathing if you will of others, mostly if they were bullies or mean or detestable. I would take them down.

I didn't realize nor would i listen to what it meant to forgive, etc. and what that unfortunately means, is that i could not/would not forgive myself, which is a terribly caustic poison not only for others, but also for oneself.

It was not until God Himself showed me His Father heart that i began to "see" or grasp His love for me. I just didn't fathom how ANYONE could love me, cuz i hated myself.

God mooooves inexplicably, tho', doesn't He. He DOES complete what He begins in us. And He began a process in me i never thought i'd see. He "won" my heart with His oh sooo gentle proddings and "hugs". He taught me that He has a sense o' humor and i found myself laughing WITH Him at my silliness of being stressed out as i was getting ready for work, thinking i'd be late. It's like He said "stop". And then it's like He said "what are you doing?" And as i paused, i saw how utterly comical i was, and He and i both laughed at His very silly daughter. It was a breakthrough BIG TIME. I had caught a glimpse of our Father's very precious heart towards me.

Fast-forwarding, He moved on to teach me to trust Him in something i preferred not to even think about or consider: "forgiveness". He KNEW i had to embrace it for my OWN healing. But i didn't at the time. He walked me through forgiving those who had hurt me so terribly. And then it happened. Through this process He had enabled me to "like" myself as i left the self-loathing behind. It was after forgiving others that i was able to forgive myself.

That's a profound question, by the way. Thank you for starting this precious thread.

It's like a "healing thread", isn't it?

I really needed this today, because i was feeling distant from God. This thread got me to thinking and remembering how very GOOD our God is.

God bless you sister in Christ and much beloved daughter of the Most High God. May He bless yer socks off (((hug)))

Thank you Dearie for a wonderful, heart warming post.
I do believe our healing starts on the inside realizing that a loving God heals and saves us.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you are a wonderful person Bybee. You stand up for yourself and others while maintaining your compassion and kindness.

As for me, for the most part, I like myself. I don't mind admitting that I am not perfect. Knowing we are flawed leaves open the ability to grow.