ECT Do You Confess Your Sins?

glorydaz

CONTEXT JERRY CONTEXT.... That is NOT what the verse is talking about.

That verse is talking about fellowship between BELIEVERS and UNBELIEVERS.

That verse is calling BELIEVERS RIGHTEOUS and UNBELIEVERS UNRIGHTEOUS.

It's AMAZING that you try to make that between the LORD and a BELIEVER that is not behaving perfectly!

Really SICK Jerry.

Deuteronomy 22:10
10 Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an *** together.

Jerry Shugart

Those in darkness are unbelievers and unrighteous.

Then why would Paul tell believers the following?:

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light" (Ro.13:12).

If a Christian cannot do the works of darkness then why would Paul tell them to cast off those works?

And why would Paul write this to believers?

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them"
(Eph.5:11).

If Christians cannot possibly have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness then it would make absolutely no sense for Paul to write what he wrote in that verse. What is in "bold" in the following verse speaks of the results of Christians doing the works of darkness:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

Do you really think that the Holy God can have fellowship with any Christian who refuses to confess his sins and therefore remains in a state of filth?

Or perhaps you think that any sin which you commit doesn't result in you becoming filthy and defiled?

Or perhaps you haven't sinned since you have been saved. Is that what you think?

Jerry Shugart

Just completely unwilling to repent of your blunder on 2 Cor 6:14,eh? Just keep changing to another one to hide your error. Childish.

You are so grown up that after I showed you the following words of Peter you said that he wasn't saved at that time:

"God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith" (Acts 15:8-9).​

Even after I quoted that passage to you you still have tried to prove that Peter was not saved when he spoke those words. And even though he said that god gave the Holy Spirit to him! The following words of Paul define you perfectly:

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​

Right Divider

Body part
You are so grown up that after I showed you the following words of Peter you said that he wasn't saved at that time:
"God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith" (Acts 15:8-9).​

Even after I quoted that passage to you you still have tried to prove that Peter was not saved when he spoke those words. And even though he said that god gave the Holy Spirit to him! The following words of Paul define you perfectly:
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​
2 Cor 6:14 KJV

glorydaz

Then why would Paul tell believers the following?:

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light" (Ro.13:12).

Notice...

Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.​

When do we "put on the Lord Jesus Christ"? Do we take him on and off like a suit of clothes?

glorydaz

If a Christian cannot do the works of darkness then why would Paul tell them to cast off those works?

We cast off those works when we put on the Lord Jesus Christ. When we are created in Christ Jesus. We in Him and He in us. Thoroughly covered in the blood....clean every whit.

And why would Paul write this to believers?

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them"
(Eph.5:11).

If Christians cannot possibly have fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness then it would make absolutely no sense for Paul to write what he wrote in that verse. What is in "bold" in the following verse speaks of the results of Christians doing the works of darkness:

It's a reminder not to be unequally yoked....such are not profitable...not expedient.

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.​

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

Perfecting holiness is not "remaking ourselves holy", it is growing in grace, maturing in the Lord.

Do you really think that the Holy God can have fellowship with any Christian who refuses to confess his sins and therefore remains in a state of filth?

No believer is in a "state of filth". Good grief, Jerry, you surely don't believe that?

Of course the Holy Spirit has fellowship with us throughout the process of our being perfected in Christ Jesus.

Or perhaps you think that any sin which you commit doesn't result in you becoming filthy and defiled?

Or perhaps you haven't sinned since you have been saved. Is that what you think?

I know I was cleansed from all sin when I believed. I have no doubts about the power of God to do exactly what He did on the cross. And I am fully confident that what He began He will perform. I am His workmanship...not my own. If I worried as much as you seem to, I'd be doubting His work.

Right Divider

Body part
I know I was cleansed from all sin when I believed. I have no doubts about the power of God to do exactly what He did on the cross. And I am fully confident that what He began He will perform. I am His workmanship...not my own. If I worried as much as you seem to, I'd be doubting His work.
I don't think that Jerry even realizes that nobody can even "confess ALL of their sins", since we are not all knowing and are not qualified to do that. We sin more than we'd care to know.

According to Jerry's theory, all believers are all out of fellowship with God all of the time since all believers fail to confess ALL of their sins.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, Jerry, but you don't seem to listen to much of what I say. :idunno:

For instance, you claim believers can walk "in darkness" instead of our having become children of the light.

1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:​

1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

I'm afraid you think believers move in and out of the darkness, and scripture doesn't support that. Your misunderstanding of John's letters is the problem.

What sins do believers commit, Jerry?

Believers are not under the law. We are dead to sin. Romans 6:2KJV Or have you forgotten?

Romans 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. 18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.​

Notice Paul is speaking of "unbelievers"....those who walk in darkness, by the way. Believers are the "righteous", not the "unrighteous". Just as believers are children of the light, and not of darkness.

I don't agree.

Since believers have been "created in Christ Jesus", we are new creatures. It's you that doesn't understand that there is no going back into the darkness. When we believe, we are cleansed from ALL SINS. Confession of sins is law. Confessions of Christ is Grace.

Excellent post, Glorydaz.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
For those who believe we MUST confess EVERY sin in order to be forgiven, I would ask one question: 'What happens if you DON'T confess a number of sins before you die?' Are those 'unconfessed sins' not to be forgiven, by God?

Jerry Shugart

For those who believe we MUST confess EVERY sin in order to be forgiven, I would ask one question: 'What happens if you DON'T confess a number of sins before you die?' Are those 'unconfessed sins' not to be forgiven, by God?

Upon confession the Lord will cleanse the Christian from "all" unrighteousness:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to send away our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:9).​

Jerry Shugart

I don't think that Jerry even realizes that nobody can even "confess ALL of their sins", since we are not all knowing and are not qualified to do that. We sin more than we'd care to know.

According to Jerry's theory, all believers are all out of fellowship with God all of the time since all believers fail to confess ALL of their sins.

According to Right Divider Christians do not need to cleanse themselves from the filtiness which are the result of sinning despite what Paul says here:

glorydaz

The Lord is very patient with us, isn't he? He allows us to reap what we have sown. No greater way to learn than that. :)

Jerry Shugart

We cast off those works when we put on the Lord Jesus Christ.

No, the following words are addressed to Christians:

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light"
(Ro.13:12).
In the following verse Paul speaks of the results of a Christian walking in darkness:

Or perhaps you are willing to argue that Christians become filthy when walking in the light?

Jerry Shugart

The Lord is very patient with us, isn't he? He allows us to reap what we have sown. No greater way to learn than that.

Yes, and here is what happens to Christians when they don't judge themselves about their sins:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).​

"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons" (Heb.12:6-8).​

Right Divider

Body part
According to Right Divider Christians do not need to cleanse themselves from the filtiness which are the result of sinning despite what Paul says here:
Show us HOW Paul says that we are to cleanse ourselves.

glorydaz

You say it'a a "result of sinning", but Paul is talking about the church and the world. So that "filthiness" is the world which the church was part of before coming out of it.

glorydaz

Yes, and here is what happens to Christians when they don't judge themselves about their sins:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31-32).​

"For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons" (Heb.12:6-8).​

We are God's adopted children...being chastened by our loving Father is a good thing. Count it all joy.....

I know I'm always grateful when the Lord brings a particular fault or weakness to my attention. I then pray for His strength and help in trusting Him more.

You want to talk about "perfecting holiness"? Don't work harder....rest MORE.

2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

glorydaz

Upon confession the Lord will cleanse the Christian from "all" unrighteousness:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to send away our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 Jn.1:9).​

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.​

Paul tells us we are children of the light, and all our trespasses have been forgiven. We are not of the darkness at all.

1 Thessalonians 5:5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.

Jerry, the gospel of grace tells us our trespasses are forgiven when we believe and "confess Jesus as Lord". Law and Grace just do not mix.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Jerry Shugart

Paul tells us we are children of the light, and all our trespasses have been forgiven.

Yes, in regard to the Christian's "position 'in Christ.'" But a Christian's "walk" is another matter, as witnessed by Paul's following words:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31).​

Is not the chastening from the Lord for sins which a Christian has committed? If not, for what reason are Christians chastened by the Lord?

Jerry Shugart

You say it'a a "result of sinning", but Paul is talking about the church and the world. So that "filthiness" is the world which the church was part of before coming out of it.

No, the words are directly addressed to those who are already saved:

How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from the filthiness which is a result of sin?