ECT Do You Confess Your Sins?

glorydaz

No, the words are directly addressed to those who are already saved:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Cor.7:1).​

How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from the filthiness which is a result of sin?

I suggest you put that verse back in context. "Having these promises...." For some reason, you refuse to leave sin with the unbelievers where it belongs. We come out from among them, and are then received...washed, sanctified and justified.

2 Cor. 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.​

WERE...past tense.

1 Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.​

glorydaz

Yes, in regard to the Christian's "position 'in Christ.'" But a Christian's "walk" is another matter, as witnessed by Paul's following words:

"For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world" (1 Cor.11:31).​

Is not the chastening from the Lord for sins which a Christian has committed? If not, for what reason are Christians chastened by the Lord?

Chastening or correction is required by all as we are being conformed into the image of our Lord. It's how we learn and grow....perfecting holiness. Anything we do on our own dime, so to speak, may be well intentioned, but not what the Lord desires. The walk of faith is an ongoing journey, and sin is not a part of that journey. Sin was taken care of at the cross, so whatever our faults may be they are utilized by the Lord to conform us...perfecting holiness. We are His workmanship. He dealt with our sin and now He can do His work in us.

Jerry Shugart

Chastening or correction is required by all as we are being conformed into the image of our Lord.

You didn't answer my question. Paul tells Christians to cleanse themselves from all filthiness:

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God"
(2 Cor.7:1).​

How would you suggest that a Christian clean himself from this filthiness?

The walk of faith is an ongoing journey, and sin is not a part of that journey.

Yes, sin is not a part of a Christian when walking after the Spirit but when a Christian walks "after the flesh" and does works of darkness (Ro.13:12) then sin does become a part of his journey.

That sin defiles the Christian and he is no longer holy and therefore he cannot even serve the Lord while in that shape:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).​

"That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear, In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life" (Lk.1:74-75).​

glorydaz, I can see that you have the Christians position "in Christ" down pat but you need to work on trying to understand the Christian's "walk" as opposed to his position in Christ.

They work together but they are not the same thing.

Last edited: