ECT Did the Body of Christ Really Begin in Acts 2?

Danoh

Those few souls on here really wanting an answer to the above question might strongly consider reading the following article in its entirety.

Its a bit lengthy, but chockful from start to finish of strong proofs of the soundness of it's author's answer.

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/did-the-church-begin-with-pentecost-of-acts-two/

All others, well, you might want to keep the Apostle Paul's 1 Corinthians 3 warning in mind; it applies to each and every member of the Body of Christ.

The best to you each, in the above.

glorydaz

Those few souls on here really wanting an answer to the above question might strongly consider reading the following article in its entirety.

Its a bit lengthy, but chockful from start to finish of strong proofs of the soundness of it's author's answer.

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/did-the-church-begin-with-pentecost-of-acts-two/

All others, well, you might want to keep the Apostle Paul's 1 Corinthians 3 warning in mind; it applies to each and every member of the Body of Christ.

Warning? What warning would that be?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Warning? What warning would that be?

Jesus' baptism of fire.

Paul explains. "Each one’s work will become clear, for the Day will declare it because it will be revealed by fire and the fire will test each one’s work of what sort it is." (1 Corinthians 3:13 NKJV)

Cross Reference

The Body of Christ began in John 20:22. Their first meeting, open to all members, took place in Acts 2 per the instructions of Jesus.

Jamie Gigliotti

Ephesians 3:6 "This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body and partakers of the promise of Christ Jesus through the Gospel."

The author's verses that He supposes to contradict Acts 2 bodies' birth, support it. "Same body", "fellow heirs" say it all.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
I believe the "church" as we know it today was born in Acts 2.
Nope. It was a Jewish feast day.

It was one of the three days of the year that Jewish men were required to keep according to the Law of Moses!

Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Deuteronomy 16:16 Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the LORD empty:

These men were under the Law of Moses, they were keeping the Law and were zealous of the Law. Pentecost is to and about Jews!

Acts 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

And what Peter preached there is not good news for you! Peter preached a murder indictment to all the house of Israel that they murdered their Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ, but that God hath raised Him up!

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Acts 2:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
Acts 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Acts 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Acts 2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.
Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Acts 2:32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.
Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
Acts 2:35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.
Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Notice, their reaction!

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Peter told them what they must do for the remission of sins. They must repent (change their mind) about WHO Jesus Christ was and be identified (baptized) in water for the remission of sins.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

There's nothing there about Christ dying for our sins, nothing about Gentile salvation, nor about the church, the body of Christ!

heir

TOL Subscriber
Ephesians 3:6 "This mystery is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body and partakers of the promise of Christ Jesus through the Gospel."

The authors verses that He supposes to contradict Acts 2 bodies birth, support it. "Same body", "fellow heirs" say it all.
That has nothing to do with Acts 2. You would know that if you knew who the two groups in the one Body are.

Jamie Gigliotti

That has nothing to do with Acts 2. You would know that if you knew who the two groups in the one Body are.

"Members of the same body", "no distinction" just as Paul says. Who do you suppose wants to cause division in the One Body? Its not Jesus.

heir

TOL Subscriber
So the new Church had it's first meeting on a Jewish feast day. Pentecost, no doubt? Great scripturally prophetic significance in that. .. I like that.

slower for you...Jews only...not the church which is Christ's Body...not the same gospel...not the same doctrine...no Gentile salvation in sight

heir

TOL Subscriber
"Members of the same body", "no distinction" just as Paul says. Who do you suppose wants to cause division in the One Body? Its not Jesus.

The twain made on new man (Ephesians 2:14-15 KJV) are the "we" who first trusted in Christ (Ephesians 1:12 KJV/ "heirs" Romans 8:17 KJV) beginning with Paul, a pattern (1 Timothy 1:16 KJV) including the Romans, Corinthians, Galatians, Thessalonians

and

the "ye" who "also trusted" (Ephesians 1:13 KJV/the fellowheirs (with the "heirs") and of the same Body of Ephesians 3:6 KJV) including the Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians.

You really need to study these things out 2 Timothy 2:15 KJV!

heir

TOL Subscriber
And I agree with the article that the church of God that the Body of Christ church was made overseers to feed were the hungry members of the Lord's "My church" of M, M, L and John, Acts 2,3,4,5,...(that "should be saved") who sold all that they had as commanded.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Entirely the same. You need to get a grip on yourself and realize you have been sold a bill of goods. . . . only the bill.
Things that are different are NOT the same! You're not a Jew, you didn't come to God offering something, you were not handed a murder indictment that you murdered the Messiah, you do not need to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins, you do not need to sell all,...on and on.

Nope! No Body of Christ in sight in Acts 2! It's fulfillment of prophecy.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Entirely the same. You need to get a grip on yourself and realize you have been sold a bill of goods. . . . only the bill.
Things that are different

At Pentecost (a Jewish holy day) Peter preached:

Acts 2:38 KJV Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Paul preached:

1 Corinthians 15:3 KJV For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Peter preached that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead to sit on David’s throne:

Acts 2:30 KJV Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Paul preached that Jesus Christ was delivered for our offences and raised again for our justification:

Romans 4:25 KJV Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Peter preached the blotting out of sins at the second coming of the Lord

Acts 3:19-20 KJV Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

Paul writes that we have NOW received the atonement:

Romans 5:11 KJV And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Peter said it was spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began:

Acts 3:21 KJV Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Paul says it was a secret since the world began

Romans 16:25 KJV Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

It's not the same church!

heir

TOL Subscriber
I do not believe that "the church of God" is the Body of Christ!

Question: Who did Saul of Tarsus persecute beyond measure?

1 Corinthians 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:

Answer:

This one!

Matthew 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. 18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The one that was "added" to in early Acts!

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Here are some more that were added to that already existing church:

Acts 4:4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

Also, take note from the above, "And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. "should be saved"?

These people are waiting for the times of refreshing that shall come from the presence of the Lord when their sins may be blotted out (Acts 3:19-21). That is God's covenant with them when He shall take away their sins (Romans 11:25-27). This is not so with the church the Body of Christ! Through our Lord Jesus Christ we have NOW received the atonement! (Romans 5:11)

And do you recall that in Matthew when the young man asked, "Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

What was Jesus Christ's answer unto him?

Matthew 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

And the young man's answer and another question:

Matthew 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

"If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and..."

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

He was told to sell all that he had! This is exactly what we see the church at Jerusalem doing!

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

They had all things common. They sold all that they had. When the Lord did not restore the kingdome to Israel as expected, these people must have been in great need! And just what do we find Paul instructing some to do after he departs? "Take heed unto yourselves AND TO ALL THE FLOCK...(notice the "yourselves AND TO ALL THE FLOCK"). The Body of Christ is not a "flock" (nor sheep, for that matter). The verses tell us who that flock is "over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, TO FEED THE CHURCH OF GOD,..."

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Notice again, Paul says that when he departs grievous wolves shall enter in among them NOT SPARING THE FLOCK. And then in verse 30, he again shows a distinction! ALSO OF YOUR OWN SELVES shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. 30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

"The church of God" IS NOT the Body of Christ!

ClimateSanity

Those who gain comfort from the traditions of the church, will always have scales covering their eyes and never be able to see clear differences in front of them. It's too strong a shock to the psyche.

I never had a strong attachment to the traditional Church. It was a place you went to on Sundays to get the wits scared out of you for "sins" but you could never quite get a grip on just exactly those "sins" were.

It was such a relief when I heard MAD preaching on the radio and realized I had never truly understood Grace teaching.