Death wish remake

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
On the opening day of gun season everyone and their brother is in the woods, When the dawn breaks it's like a war zone for half an hour. Everything you observed preseason is out the window and the deer no longer have a routine. There is a gun behind every tree and they are getting flushed and pushed and shot at from every direction. You're not going to stalk anything in that scenario.
Ah, that sounds awful.

That would be hiking not hunting and deer season is a bad time for hiking.
Then it's park trail time. :D

You can stalk for a whole day and still be on your own land?
Are you Ben Cartwright?
Yes and :noid: :chuckle: We have extensive acreage in the family contiguous with others who have similar holdings. And yes, you can be gone for longer than a day.

You hunt deer with a shotgun? On purpose?
No, but it's common among a certain set who like to stand in a line and see how often they can fire one. That said, my first kill was a whitetail using a shotgun, a 410. I hunted with a 20 gauge for a while, before moving on to rifles. I suppose the 410 was my grandfather's way of ensuring I could handle the kick as it's a really mild gun in that respect, even for a relatively young hunter.

In Michigan we have a "shotgun line" in the lower half of the lower peninsula, you can only use a shotgun or 50 cal muzzle loader due to population density.
A 12 gauge is really popular around here, but I don't have any particular use for them. I still have the double barrel 20 gauge. Beautiful gun. Westley Richards & Co.

Last edited:

musterion

By this graph, Chicago has been surpassed over 15 years by Philly by about 3,000 deaths over those 15 years; about 200 gun deaths a year.

20170204_woc778.png

But starting in 2016...

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
How does it compare to other cities of the world it's size?

Last year it was one of the highest. Turns out, there are only 23 cities in the world as large as Chicago. But it didn't even crack the top 30 cities in the U.S. Turns out that really large cities are safer than large cities. So you're safer in Chicago than in say, Milwaukee.

ClimateSanity

Stories are usually not generated out of a vacuum. There might be something to the idea that Chicago is a particularly violent city.

Barbarian. Do you have access to ESRI brand GIS software?

Download crime statistics available on a per zip code basis.
Choose a suitable number of violence related crimes per zip code as a marker. Highlight all zip codes whose number of violence related crimes in a year exceeds that marker number.

Create a Python code to collect all highlighted zip codes whose boundaries are within two miles of another highlighted zip code boundary.

Find the total number of violence related crimes in each of those conglomerates of zip codes.

Find out which conglomeration has the highest number of violence related crimes that year.

Then find out the location of the geographic center of that conglomeration.

I would not be surprised if that geographic center was within a 50 mile radius of South Chicago.

Arthur Brain

For those playing at home, that's Must pretending I hold two standards (Two Face is a famous Batman villain) or that my approach is random or inconsistent.

Of course Must won't begin to make the case for any of that with argument and parts, quotes, facts. But then, that's probably why he's answering me to someone else and not directly.

:think: Maybe he should start posting in the comments section of YouTube. That style is all the rage there. :)

Yep, you called that one right on the button. Telling, given that one of Musty's criteria for being a "Moby" is to deflect or avoid when put on the spot...

musterion

Every licensed firearm dealer in this country is required to do a background check. They require a photo ID and the purchaser is required to fill out ATF Form 4473, which specifically asks if one is a felon.

In Chicago, it’s a bit more involved. There you have to get a Firearms Owners Identification Card from the Illinois State Police, take an approved safety course, get a Chicago Firearms Permit, then after you buy the gun you have to register it with the city within five days of the purchase. Failure to register it within those five days, and your gun is deemed unregisterable.

These are all steps people have been assured would reduce gun violence.

Yet CBS is able to report that violent felons are able to get their hands on firearms “off the streets.” How is this possible?

CBS News makes my point as admitted felons in CHicago say they have no real problems getting their hands on guns.