Dead tiger bigger victim than dead man?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let's suppose some drunk fool breaks into the Henry Ford Museum and steals Barney Oldfield's 999, drives it down the road while swilling gin and crashes it into a tree, totally destroying it and himself.

Would you call that drunk fool a victim? :dizzy:

Nope. But what does that have to do with this story?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What the crowd says:

Hey tiger!
Wow, I’d hate to be on the other side of this fence.
Hey you big, stupid cat!
You’re adorable!
Man, that's a lot of teeth per square inch.
Grrrrr! Grrrrr!
What a beautiful animal.
Get him to look this way.
Hey! Hey!

What the tiger hears:

Dinner…

:think: :chew:

MindOverMatter

I remember seeing this story on the news.....if I remember correctly it seemed pretty clear that the one who got killed and a few others who were injured were responsible for both enraging the animal, and it's escape......am I wrong about that? :think:

How is the victim responsible for both the animal’s enragement and escape? Why are you trying to lay some responsibility on the victim? Don’t you understand that a man has just died and a couple others have been injured? How is the dead man responsible for his death? How are the people who are injured responsible for their injury? What kind of mind numbing cruel madness are you speaking there TomO? How can you be so cruel?

MindOverMatter

Certainly have sympathy for the family of Sousa. But if he and his idiot friends were responsible for inciting the attack, I agree with Salmoni.

Koban, you are a paragon of consistency. :rotfl: Oh you gotta love the consistency of your arguments. Now Koban, were you not just arguing the opposite in Hocus Focus? Were you not reduced to calling MOM names because she essentially was saying the same thing that you are now trying to argue? Is it now politically expedient for you to argue that the victim bears some responsibility for his or her actions?

>>>Koban # 1 http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1610304&postcount=151
>>>Koban # 2 http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1612014&postcount=193
>>>Koban #3 http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1616493&postcount=291
>>> Koban # 4 http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1606817&postcount=50

red77

I will say this....

If it turns out that these tree guys actually helped the tiger out of it's cage, then they got what they deserved. HOWEVER, if it turns out that was not the case then clearly this is another instance of animal-nuts trying to make the animal look innocent and the humans look guilty (as usual).

The whole thing is a tragedy, if these kids were drunk and thought it would be fun to taunt a tiger then they learnt out in the most extreme way that it isn't

That being said the tiger is innocent no matter how the scenario played out, it's a wild animal and can't be held to some set of moral values regardless......

drbrumley

All I have heard is speculation.

All I have heard is people trying to defend the tiger because they just "can't imagine" the tiger would attack anyone for no reason.

Are you really suggesting the tiger attacked for "no reason?":confused:

noguru

Do tigers need a 'reason' to attack? :idunno:

Well from the view of behavioral biology a tiger will attack either out of hunger or out of self-defense. There is a distinct difference in how tigers in the wild attack from hunger as opposed to self-defense. I am not sure how a captive tiger that is fed by zoo keepers differs in such behavior. You would have to consult someone who has more knowledge of this.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Well from the view of behavioral biology a tiger will attack either out of hunger or out of self-defense. There is a distinct difference in how tigers in the wild attack from hunger as opposed to self-defense. I am not sure how a captive tiger that is fed by zoo keepers differs in such behavior. You would have to consult someone who has more knowledge of this.

House cats attack mice just for the fun of it. The attack is neither hunger driver nor is it a self defense mechanism. :think:

MindOverMatter

The investigation in the days following the tiger incident turned up at least one reliable witness at the zoo who witnessed the young men taunting the lions and the tigers, and shooting at them with sling shots. The men were old enough to know better. They also found an empty vodka bottle in the (underage) men's car. So they played a large part in their own death/injury.

The zoo, too, is responsible, as the enclosure wall was 4 feet lower than is mandated for safety with an animal of that size and nature.

The tiger was defending itself and acting in a normal manner for a wild animal. And whereas I know animals and humans are different, the animal this time clearly got the short end of the deal.

Oh MOM loves how you worked that one in there Mrs. Cattyfan: “And whereas I know animals and humans are different,…” And then you proceed to state, “…the animal this time clearly got the short end of the deal.” No bias at all for the cat in there. :rotfl:

So, how does that work: We have a human dead and a lower animal dead, but the lower animal “got the short end of the deal?” How is that ? Are you saying that it would have been better off if only the human died and the tiger lived?

noguru

House cats attack mice just for the fun of it. The attack is neither hunger driver nor is it a self defense mechanism. :think:

You are correct. But the behavior more resembles a "for hunger" attack. They like to sneak up on their prey. An attack out of self defense is void of any type of sneaking up.

Animal behavior is more often than not governed by instinctual drives. The instinctual drive to hunt down prey is not gone from domesticated cats. It just manifests itself in other ways.

Last edited: