Curt Schilling's Islam/Nazi tweet

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Curt Schilling is getting in trouble from tweeting this.

View attachment 20047

It's said only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists
In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How'd that go?

I think there can be two ways to read that. 1) Taking the numbers at face value and saying that, based on what the Nazis did, that number of Islamic extremists is bad news, and 2) Implying that more than 7% of Germans were Nazis and thus more than 5-10% of Muslims are extremists, which would mean many are lying.

If you read it as #1 then I'm not seeing the big deal. :idunno: Foolish for someone in his position to do, but the actual tweet isn't that bad.
If you read it as #2 then I do see the larger blowback.

What are your thoughts?

I'm seeing a lot of headlines that are simply saying he compared Muslims to Nazis, which isn't fair. His tweet was about Islamic fanatics.

He was pulled from his current ESPN assignment.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Curt Schilling is getting in trouble from tweeting this.

View attachment 20047

It's said only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists
In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How'd that go?

I think there can be two ways to read that. 1) Taking the numbers at face value and saying that, based on what the Nazis did, that number of Islamic extremists is bad news, and 2) Implying that more than 7% of Germans were Nazis and thus more than 5-10% of Muslims are extremists, which would mean many are lying.

If you read it as #1 then I'm not seeing the big deal. :idunno: Foolish for someone in his position to do, but the actual tweet isn't that bad.
If you read it as #2 then I do see the larger blowback.

What are your thoughts?

I'm seeing a lot of headlines that are simply saying he compared Muslims to Nazis, which isn't fair. His tweet was about Islamic fanatics.

He was pulled from his current ESPN assignment.

He overshot the percentage a bit, but it's a thought-provoking statement nonetheless

Jose Fly

I don't get the point of it.

Even if the percentages were correct, we don't hate all Germans or call for a ban on all German immigrants. So is Curt's point that we should give non-extremist Muslims the same benefit of the doubt as we gave non-Nazi Germans?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned

Even if the percentages were correct, we don't hate all Germans or call for a ban on all German immigrants. So is Curt's point that we should give non-extremist Muslims the same benefit of the doubt as we gave non-Nazi Germans?

He's just expressing discontent with how lax we've been with the whole ISIS thing likely

kmoney

Hall of Fame

What benefit of the doubt was that?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
How? Maybe he needs to take advantage of this time off and work on his messaging skills?

I'm assuming by radical Islam he's more specifically referring to ISIS, al queda, and possibly Iran. The world, including the US, has been very reluctant to step in and not only deal with these guys, but our government has had trouble even calling them out for what they are.

I think Schilling's point is that if we continue to largely ignore this, then we may end up with another mass genocide, or more accurately theocide.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
That just because someone's a German, that doesn't mean they're a Nazi and we as a society should treat them accordingly.

Is Curt saying we should take the same approach to Muslims?

No. But that's good advice for anyone outside of the Middle East right now

Jose Fly

I'm assuming by radical Islam he's more specifically referring to ISIS, al queda, and possibly Iran. The world, including the US, has been very reluctant to step in and not only deal with these guys, but our government has had trouble even calling them out for what they are.

What in the world are you talking about? What part of the world do you think our military has been operating in for the last 14 years?

I think Schilling's point is that if we continue to largely ignore this, then we may end up with another mass genocide, or more accurately theocide.

By doing what?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
What in the world are you talking about? What part of the world do you think our military has been operating in for the last 14 years?
You're right. We created this mess by taking out Saddam. But now we're tasked with finding a way to combat these guys effectively while at the same time minimizing our presence in the region. It's tricky, which is why it'd be great if our Middle Eastern allies outside of Jordan were a little more enthusiastic

By doing what?
Not real clear on what you're asking for here

Jose Fly

You're right. We created this mess by taking out Saddam.

That was certainly a factor.

But now we're tasked with finding a way to combat these guys effectively while at the same time minimizing our presence in the region. It's tricky, which is why it'd be great if our Middle Eastern allies outside of Jordan were a little more enthusiastic

The fundamental problem is those countries are split along the same Sunni-Shiite divide that's driving the conflict in the first place.

Not real clear on what you're asking for here

What more does Curt think we should be doing?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
That was certainly a factor.

The fundamental problem is those countries are split along the same Sunni-Shiite divide that's driving the conflict in the first place.

What more does Curt think we should be doing?

Oh lol I have clue what Kurt think for sure. That was just how I took his post.

On the Shiite v Sunni issues, I think we'll just have to let them hash it out amongst themselves and hopefully in a couple centuries they'll want to quit killing each other. The issue for the Western World will come if these radicalizations of American and European Muslims keep happening and increase in rate. Or if somehow, however unlikely it may be, ISIS made a leap and established an underground network in the U.S. or Europe

Jose Fly

On the Shiite v Sunni issues, I think we'll just have to let them hash it out amongst themselves and hopefully in a couple centuries they'll want to quit killing each other.

Ironically, that was actually Bin Laden's main message to the Muslim world. He said that the US and other western powers will never let Muslims work out their issues on their own and will always meddle in their affairs.

The issue for the Western World will come if these radicalizations of American and European Muslims keep happening and increase in rate. Or if somehow, however unlikely it may be, ISIS made a leap and established an underground network in the U.S. or Europe

Or even worse, ISIS' recruitment becomes so effective that they don't need networks that can be infiltrated and broken up, and they just rely on individual actors who are independently "inspired" to attack us. That's darn near impossible to stop.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Ironically, that was actually Bin Laden's main message to the Muslim world. He said that the US and other western powers will never let Muslims work out their issues on their own and will always meddle in their affairs.

Or even worse, ISIS' recruitment becomes so effective that they don't need networks that can be infiltrated and broken up, and they just rely on individual actors who are independently "inspired" to attack us. That's darn near impossible to stop.

For all his faults, Bin Laden was a smart dude. Too bad we didn't realize that we should leave them be 20 years ago.