Curt Schilling's Islam/Nazi tweet

HisServant

They are not subject to fraud, they are subject to new and changing data and experiments. They are not infallible when it comes to the scientific theory. No one is claiming they are perfect, but for the moment, based on all collective data that we have access to, academic reports are accurate and good places to start in regards to whatever topic you are looking for. I will grant you that the entire autism vaccine thing was a huge flop.

You still haven't answered my question, if academic articles, studies, and surveys are all to be dismissed on principle, where do we go for accurate information?

Do your own research and make up your own mind.

And yes, those two studies were fraudulent.

Quetzal

Do your own research and make up your own mind.

And yes, those two studies were fraudulent.
And when I do my own research, guess what I am going to find? Books, articles, and studies conducted by, guess who? Come on, guess! Face it, the data and conclusions presented by subject matter experts are more accurate than anything else out there. You cannot argue with that.

bybee

They are not infallible and no one is arguing that they are. That is the beauty of the academic process: progress is made and new things are discovered.

...and in the meantime claims are made that are not couched in terms of possibilities for good or for ill.

Quetzal

...and in the meantime claims are made that are not couched in terms of possibilities for good or for ill.
What alternative do you suggest for the academic process? I have asked the question numerous times and the nay-sayers have yet to put their money where their mouths are with one suggestion. If it is really as bad you say it is, surely you have a better process. Let's hear it.

HisServant

And when I do my own research, guess what I am going to find? Books, articles, and studies conducted by, guess who? Come on, guess! Face it, the data and conclusions presented by subject matter experts are more accurate than anything else out there. You cannot argue with that.

Hey, according to my company, I am the SME (subject matter expert) on about 2/3'rds of the software we sell, even though I have moved up to management and haven't done any development for 8 years.

Once you get known as an expert, its impossible to leave that behind you.

bybee

What alternative do you suggest for the academic process? I have asked the question numerous times and the nay-sayers have yet to put their money where their mouths are with one suggestion. If it is really as bad you say it is, surely you have a better process. Let's hear it.

I have not said it is bad. It is one of many avenues to unfolding knowledge.

Quetzal

Hey, according to my company, I am the SME (subject matter expert) on about 2/3'rds of the software we sell, even though I have moved up to management and haven't done any development for 8 years.

Once you get known as an expert, its impossible to leave that behind you.
Your incompetence related to your own company's products is your downfall, not the realm of academia.

Quetzal

Academia, today, has its liberal blinders on. Hate America! Hate Christianity! Promote all things deviant!
All of academia hates America, you say? All of academia hates Christianity, is it? These kind of far reaching statements are no where near accurate and you know it. I find it more likely that they are writing papers and theories that go against your traditional beliefs and you just don't like that.

bybee

All of academia hates America, you say? All of academia hates Christianity, is it? These kind of far reaching statements are no where near accurate and you know it. I find it more likely that they are writing papers and theories that go against your traditional beliefs and you just don't like that.

Not "all" but a significant number.
Do you like things that go against your traditional beliefs?
One observes.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Curt Schilling is getting in trouble from tweeting this.

View attachment 20047

It's said only 5-10% of Muslims are extremists
In 1940, only 7% of Germans were Nazis. How'd that go?

I think there can be two ways to read that. 1) Taking the numbers at face value and saying that, based on what the Nazis did, that number of Islamic extremists is bad news, and 2) Implying that more than 7% of Germans were Nazis and thus more than 5-10% of Muslims are extremists, which would mean many are lying.

If you read it as #1 then I'm not seeing the big deal. :idunno: Foolish for someone in his position to do, but the actual tweet isn't that bad.
If you read it as #2 then I do see the larger blowback.

What are your thoughts?

I'm seeing a lot of headlines that are simply saying he compared Muslims to Nazis, which isn't fair. His tweet was about Islamic fanatics.

He was pulled from his current ESPN assignment.

Or number 3: That a small percentage of facists are allowed to harbour a disproportionate measure of power and influence.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Academia, today, has its liberal blinders on. Hate America! Hate Christianity! Promote all things deviant!

Not necessarily. Perhaps though, they do stand against the self-serving notion that those two make for an especial, exclusive pairing.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Because they have never had to deal with a real boss that could fire them because they have tenure... they also don't have to work for merit raises. Basically, they are coddled.

They live in their ivory towers and know very little about what is going on in the real world.

People don't have tenure from day 1.