Covid Vaccination: I'm getting my first dose on Thursday

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Unless I'm thinking of somebody else I believe Chair is in his early seventies, which would make his Uncle significantly older.
Also, it's an argument from emotion.

We should not be shutting down economies because people die. In fact, shutting down economies has killed way more people than the virus.

chair

Unless I'm thinking of somebody else I believe Chair is in his early seventies, which would make his Uncle significantly older.
You are in fact confusing me with someone else.

I am pointing out that people have a hard time relating to statistics, and relate easier to personal experience. Which is not good when it comes to things like an epidemic.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You are in fact confusing me with someone else.

I am pointing out that people have a hard time relating to statistics, and relate easier to personal experience. Which is not good when it comes to things like an epidemic.
Was your Uncle in one of the higher age brackets that have a higher probability of getting infected with Covid and suffering more severe results?

chair

You've already seen numbers. You didn't know how to read them.
Deaths per million population:
Taiwan: 0.3
UK: 1,320

Please explain how to read numbers.

expos4ever

Deaths per million population:
Taiwan: 0.3
UK: 1,320

Please explain how to read numbers.

Ouch. Shots fired.

Arthur Brain

He's in Taiwan, which had the toughest and fastest response to the virus in the world. He doesn't see the epidemic there, since they have a handful of cases and track very carefully.

People have a hard time relating to information that comes from impersonal sources. You can brush off reports of millions dying of a disease- until it hits your old uncle. All of a sudden- it's real.

Speaking of which, a colleague at work lost his uncle to COVID two days ago. My wife's elderly aunt and uncle tested positive. She is quite ill, but not hospitalized. He is asymptomatic so far.

I hope your wife's auntie recovers swiftly and that her uncle doesn't develop such symptoms. There's no excuse for claiming that this pandemic is over or even ended months ago because it's blatantly obvious that it hasn't. With these new strains it could be a long time yet even with the vaccination processes underway. It's just the 'height' of ignorance.

ok doser

For those here uninterested in a per capita metric:

‘Shameful’: US virus deaths top 400K as Trump leaves office

The U.S. accounts for nearly 1 of every 5 virus deaths reported worldwide, far more than any other country despite its great wealth and medical resources.
How many of those are the extreme elderly of which the United States has a disproportionately high number?

How many of those deaths were actually due to Covid and not deaths that could have been expected from other causes considering the people affected and their medical fragility?

How many of those deaths do you lay at the feet of Nancy Pelosi and the democrats in Congress?

How many of those deaths do you lay at the feet of incompetent democratic governors like Cuomo?

Last edited:

ok doser

Arthur Brain

For those here uninterested in a per capita metric:

‘Shameful’: US virus deaths top 400K as Trump leaves office

The U.S. accounts for nearly 1 of every 5 virus deaths reported worldwide, far more than any other country despite its great wealth and medical resources.

Let's not forget Trump's public claims that the virus was all under control and come last April it would "magically disappear" with some warmer weather etc. Oh, a bit after that he declared a national emergency. He was then caught on record for knowing just how serious it was going to be from the get go, downplayed the whole thing and lied to the American people. Not only did he lie, he's also on record for enjoying downplaying it.

Yet there's still people who think he actually cared about anything besides his next spray tan and the like...