Covid Vaccination: I'm getting my first dose on Thursday

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I like to think positively about people, so I'll assume you understand this, and are merely saying dumb things to tease me.
I'm speaking as one who worked for many years as a professional statistician and understands the deceptive nature of strategically chosen metrics in describing a situation or a phenomena.

chair

And yet your main interest in discussing it is always a comparison between America and Israel, using a comparative statistic that casts America in a bad light.
i am proud that we are succeeding in this, and want to encourage others.

Edit: I don't think that I was the one who started comparing to the US. You did.

chair

I'm speaking as one who worked for many years as a professional statistician and understands the deceptive nature of strategically chosen metrics in describing a situation or a phenomena.
OK, so please suggest a more correct way of comparing.

ok doser

so...when Israel and the US have each vaccinated 9 million people, the two countries will have accomplished the same thing?
Answer me this - Why hasn't Israel vaccinated every single one of its citizens at this point?

As of January 14th, the US has administered more vaccinations than there are Israeli citizens.

If the US was running the Israeli vaccination program, every single one of your citizens would be vaccinated.

Doesn't your government care about your citizens?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Listened to my mother when I was a kid. Didn't have to be told to wash my hands, cover my cough, sneeze into a Kleenex or a handkerchief.

Same way I've avoided AIDS for the last 40 years. Didn't have to be told not to have sex with other guys. Didn't have to be told not to do IV drugs.
Mum knows best.

Or we could listen to the nanny state and shut down the economy.

chair

Only in a befuddled mind or one in a state of denial.
He's in Taiwan, which had the toughest and fastest response to the virus in the world. He doesn't see the epidemic there, since they have a handful of cases and track very carefully.

People have a hard time relating to information that comes from impersonal sources. You can brush off reports of millions dying of a disease- until it hits your old uncle. All of a sudden- it's real.

Speaking of which, a colleague at work lost his uncle to COVID two days ago. My wife's elderly aunt and uncle tested positive. She is quite ill, but not hospitalized. He is asymptomatic so far.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He's in Taiwan

That's racist.

Which had the toughest and fastest response to the virus in the world.

Anyone who believes that the virus did not affect Taiwan much as it did any other nation is a moron.

He doesn't see the epidemic there, since they have a handful of cases and track very carefully.

I don't see the epidemic in the US either. Or anywhere else. All I see is panic.

People have a hard time relating to information that comes from impersonal sources. You can brush off reports of millions dying of a disease- until it hits your old uncle. All of a sudden- it's real.
People panic when they face death. If your uncle dies of the virus, you're likely to see it everywhere.

ok doser

That's racist.

Anyone who believes that the virus did not affect Taiwan much as it did any other nation is a moron.

I don't see the epidemic in the US either. Or anywhere else. All I see is panic.

People panic when they face death. If your uncle dies of the virus, you're likely to see it everywhere.
Unless I'm thinking of somebody else I believe Chair is in his early seventies, which would make his Uncle significantly older.