Climate Change? What Climate Change?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It's disappointing to see The Economist push this kind of blatant propaganda
I stopped paying attention to them back during the Obama years...Which was a shame for me. It was one of the few periodical which I had any respect/appreciation for at the time. I used spend an awful lot on money for that subscription...I'm sure they miss me. ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I stopped paying attention to them back during the Obama years...Which was a shame for me. It was one of the few periodical which I had any respect/appreciation for at the time. I used spend an awful lot on money for that subscription...I'm sure they miss me. ;)
My brother-in-law had a subscription. I used to read his cast offs until about 10 years ago. I guess they've changed.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

Others have challenged the speaker's claim about reducing deserts as a way to reverse climate change (if it's real, and if we should try to change it): they claim that using more livestock will offset any improvements in global climate conditions with increases in methane emission.

Nonetheless the idea of reducing the Earth's deserts has appealed to me for some time. Just look at a satellite image of the world, those places that are sand colored from space, are the deserts, and they make up an enormous proportion of the Earth's surface. And deserts are like Mars. And we want our planet to be like Mars in lots of ways lol.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Others have challenged the speaker's claim about reducing deserts as a way to reverse climate change (if it's real, and if we should try to change it): they claim that using more livestock will offset any improvements in global climate conditions with increases in methane emission.

Nonetheless the idea of reducing the Earth's deserts has appealed to me for some time. Just look at a satellite image of the world, those places that are sand colored from space, are the deserts, and they make up an enormous proportion of the Earth's surface. And deserts are like Mars. And we want our planet to be like Mars in lots of ways lol.
If I recall, what they did to Green the Deserts does not scale in the way the speaker claimed it could. So the idea has basically fallen by the wayside.

marke

Jews made their desert blossom as a rose. I don't think western leftists have that skill.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
If I recall, what they did to Green the Deserts does not scale in the way the speaker claimed it could. So the idea has basically fallen by the wayside.
That's fine. Point was, I can get behind an effort to reverse desertification. As a way to fight against whatever forces make parts of the Earth look like Mars. Mars is an object lesson, we don't want to be like Mars, we should wage war on any part of our planet that putatively looks like Mars, and deserts are it; and, they're a significant proportion of our land area. Mars is waging war on our planet right now, and I'm OK fighting back. Mars isn't winning, but it has made disturbing progress. From central Africa across the Middle East up through into northern China is like one gigantic desert. That's more like Mars than like the lusher parts of the Earth. That's alien. An invading climate.

But the video was indicating that it's brought on by a relative dearth of organic matter, and that we can intervene to reverse the desertification.

That is to me more of a global problem, the relative desertification on our planet. If 30 or 40 percent of the Earth's territory is desert, even if my neighborhood isn't a desert, that still concerns me. I think the Earth's overall health can be ascertained basically through examining how much of a desertification problem it has.

I definitely don't find climate changes to be as serious as widespread desertification, and I have no Earthly idea why anyone ever would either. To me it's extremely obviously categorical.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Remember the predictions about how all the polar bears were going to be dead by now?

Remember the predictions about how all the coral in the oceans was going to die and the oceans were going to boil and they were going to expand and everybody was going to die because the sky was falling, the sky is falling, we're all going to die!

Remember?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

IMG_20220805_211449.jpg

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Time magazine's person of the year.

A 16-year-old 9th grader with a neurodevelopmental disability suffering from an emotional disorder. Uneducated. Inexperienced. Bringing nothing to the conversation but emotion.

Bravo Time
But she is rich. Or at least her parents that were controlling her money are. Although I think she turned 18 and a lot of that money is hers now?

way 2 go

media%2FFa4P8T6UUAAerhT.jpg%3Fname%3Dsmall