chrysostom’s 2013 annual awards

Lon

There's a fine line between truth-smacking and just being mean for its own sake.

Truth smacking may attack an idea but it also explains WHY the idea is erroneous, and it doesn't attack a person directly.

Attacking a person directly or just deliberately being mean isn't truth smacking.
Yeah, but what if my truth is "Your brain is too little to be left wandering alone!"???

(not to you, it's a question about when/if such 'can' be an 'appropriate' truth)

Lon

P.S. Chrysotom, sorry but I tend to ignore your award shows and change the channel for something better on...

Christian Liberty

Yeah, but what if my truth is "Your brain is too little to be left wandering alone!"???

(not to you, it's a question about when/if such 'can' be an 'appropriate' truth)

Then you should stop thinking such insulting things:p

Sometimes I do say things like you describe, usually in response to insults, but its still mean.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
3951535715_8325f93c5f.jpg

You're like the old Magic 8 Ball of TOL posters. Shake you up just to guess which random answer is going to float to the window.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
aCultureWarrior loves homosexuals enough to warn them. You too should love homosexuals. Just don't love them to death (Hell)!
And if folks don't like his threads, then just stay out of them.

Lon

...but its still mean.
Yeah, but what if it's 'true?'

I mean you can say "Idiot backwards, moronic-half-human-excuse, too-stupid-to-breath retarded half-wit, brain-dead spawn of siblings, slack-jawed, drop-out, bus-licker!" or you can say "the world of education has not been kind to you" to soften the blow. To me, going even further down the line like "you 'seem' possibly incapable of reasoned conclusion" seems whimpy but perhaps even "you might want to try rethinking this a bit" might go completely under the radar sweet-old-grandma style.

:doh: I'm so confused :nono: