Christanity starves "demon possessed" toddler to death - tries to resurrect body

musterion

Tinark translation:

By the way, I don't blame all of Christianity or all Christians on this incident even though I said in the title that I am, because I am a liar. I used that as a provocative title to get people to think about why the title might be wrong and whether or not those reasons might also apply to other thread titles and claims made in this forum click on a story click me even though I knowingly linked to a story that shows the demonstrable opposite of my puny clickbait title, because I am as lazy as I am stupid.

nikolai_42

Don't think so.

Can a leopard change its spots? Flew went from atheist to Deist. That's a huge leap from atheist to Theist. It is a denial of the former.

Fallacious Scotsman said:
Instead of acknowledging that some members of a group have undesirable characteristics, the fallacy tries to redefine the group to exclude them.

Atheists have no moral footing because no objective, fixed morality. However, that doesn't stop them from trying to redefine their group to exclude that which they have to deny exists (objective evil).

As surely as genetics have unavoidable consequences, so do ideas. But a man can change his beliefs so that these consequences are avoided. Genetics...not so easy. The Scotsman was stuck with the cards he was dealt. Anyone who knows what scriptural Christianity is, knows that this behavior is, a priori, non-Christian.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Evolutionists love to spout anecdotes to smear Christianity and express their hatred of God. However, they will never engage in a rational examination of what they are determined cannot be true.

In this case, the Christian upholds justice for those who mistreat children, regardless of their beliefs. Tinny and Dog, mock their souls, are only interested in the cases because of what the criminals supposedly believe.

Stupid, stupid evolutionists. Never interested in a rational discussion.

:mock: Tinny
:mock: Dog

zoo22

Texas church members accused of starving ‘demon-possessed’ toddler and then trying to resurrect him

A Texas couple fled to Mexico after a failed attempt to raise a starved toddler from the dead, police said.

Officers received an anonymous tip March 26 that the 2-year-old boy had died nearly a week earlier but was not reported, according to NBC News.

Police went to a Balch Springs home, which also operated as a church, where they were told a “rising ceremony” had been performed four days earlier in an attempt to resurrect him, the network reported.

The child’s body was taken to Mexico the next day by his parents and other members of the Congregacional Pueblo De Dios, police said.

Investigators have not yet located the parents or church congregants.

Video of the ceremony appears to show Aracely Meza, the church’s secretary, praying and speaking in tongues over the toddler’s body, which she anoints with oils, as other congregants gather around.

Meza, who is not the child’s mother, was charged with injury to a child by omission.

A woman who knew the boy’s mother said pastors believed the child was possessed by demons, and she said the boy went 25 days without food before he died.

After the ceremony fails to bring the boy back to life, Meza breaks down crying.

Congregacional Pueblo De Dios, which was formed in 2007, is affiliated with the Hispanic Conference of the Congregational Holiness Church, a Georgia-based Pentecostal denomination, reported NBC News.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/...nd-then-trying-resurrect-him/comments/#disqus

Sickening :( - you'd think after the boy's body looked like a Nazi concentration camp prisoner, someone would've thought "maybe we should give him something to eat" - the horrors of religious delusion know no bounds.

This is horrific.

Yes, most would hopefully agree that the parents should go to prison for starving their 2-year-old to death based on their sincerely held religious belief that he was possessed by demons, but what of their pastors telling them the child was possessed by demons, and what of the congregation performing "rise from the dead" rituals on a dead 2-year-old? This is all completely insane.

Lon

This is horrific.

Yes, most would hopefully agree that the parents should go to prison for starving their 2-year-old to death based on their sincerely held religious belief that he was possessed by demons, but what of their pastors telling them the child was possessed by demons, and what of the congregation performing "rise from the dead" rituals on a dead 2-year-old? This is all completely insane.
I wish he would have started with that sentiment.

Romans 13:1-7 ESV
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ...

zoo22

I wish he would have started with that sentiment.

Romans 13:1-7 ESV
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. ...

I'm sorry, I don't understand the inclusion of the verse. As I understand it, it's about Christians submitting to the authority of the government. What does that really have to do with these Pentecostals starving their 2-year-old to death based on their sincerely held religious belief that he was possessed by demons?

musterion

This is horrific.

Yes it is. Behold the fruits of people trying to be consistent with their beliefs by taking pentecostalism to its logical extreme. Now go look up Hobart Freeman and see how this horror in not a one-off.

You won't believe nor take satisfaction in it, but they most assuredly will answer to Christ for that, even if they do not face charges for conspiracy or something similar (which I hope they do).

And the child is with Him.

Lon

I'm sorry, I don't understand the inclusion of the verse. As I understand it, it's about Christians submitting to the authority of the government. What does that really have to do with these Pentecostals starving their 2-year-old to death based on their sincerely held religious belief that he was possessed by demons?
Because it was against the law, not to mention against God too.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Christanity starves "demon possessed" toddler to death - tries to resurrect body

Christianity did that? Hardly. Some criminal idiots did that.

1 Timothy 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Cruciform

We are talking about potential double standards and "no true Scotsman" fallacy - you are the one that brought up the idea of "not a TRUE Christian".
It should be noted that the No True Scotsman fallacy itself presumes a No True Scotsman argument, and therefore merely refutes itself. As a rational argument, it's next to worthless.

Christian Liberty

Tinark, can you show me a Bible verse that advocates starving children to death for "demon-possession"? If you can't, shut up.

This has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Christianity starves," etc.

False. Christianity is an abstract notion which can refer either to 1. Christendom in general (the totality of Christians and all that which is associated with them) and 2. what it is to be a Christian, including, but not limited to, what Christians, formally and as such, believe. Even so, I doubt that 1 is generally or even properly the signification of "Christianity."

Either way, Christianity, as an abstract quasi-entity, did not kill anyone. Individuals, asserting themselves to be Christians, killed someone, either intentionally or not.

Mark the difference.

If you wish to assert that Christianity killed someone, then you must show how the child's death followed necessary from Christian premises/notions/beliefs, considered abstractly and as such.

The key word, however, in the article is, as I believe, "Texas." Nuff said.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I do, however, blame the tenancy for Christianity and religion in general to rely upon faith and unfalsifiable claims, encourage absolute certainty, and discourage doubt and questioning - opening the chasm for people to fall into the intellectual black hole of delusion, with sometimes horrific consequences.

To the contrary is St. Augustine's De Utilitate Credendi (On the Usefulness of Belief). I recommend it.

To any atheists who think as you do, I appeal to the following verses of the New Testament:

"For the invisible things of him, from the creation of the world, are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made; his eternal power also, and divinity: so that they are inexcusable" (Romans 1:20).

"For when the Gentiles, who have not the law, do by nature those things that are of the law; these having not the law are a law to themselves" (Romans 2:14).

"For in him we live, and move, and are; as some also of your own poets said: For we are also his offspring" (Acts 17:28).

Religious faith, properly conceived, begins precisely where reason naturally ends. Religious faith presupposes and points to the data of natural reason (which, in turn, problematically leaves itself open to and vaguely and indeterminately suggests something like the data of revealed faith), but, if it be true religious faith, transcends it and goes where unaided reason cannot go by its own efforts.

This is the Catholic view of the relationship between faith and reason. Faith and reason do not contradict each other, nor must we close ourselves off to one in order to open ourselves up to the other. Reason cries out in longing for faith. Faith hovers above reason as like a shining star...oh, just so out of reach.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Isaiah 64:1 is the cri de coeur of the metaphysician, considered, I say, formally and as such: "That thou wouldst rend the heavens, and wouldst come down..."

The view that you present, of course, is the false view of things, i.e., the protestant view. But it is not the true account, the biblical account, or the Catholic account.

And, of course, may I add, as I have great experience personally, it is the atheists above all who are the dogmatists who close themselves off to rational discourse and inquiry; it is the atheists who fashion idols for themselves which they blindly worship. It is the atheist, I say, who spends his entire life bowing before false gods which he praises without thought, without reason, without question...and yea, should someone question his idolatry or implore him to question his false beliefs, it is this very atheist who shall call for a pyre to be lit upon which to burn the heretic, slay the infidel, to silence the nonbeliever...

csuguy

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/...nd-then-trying-resurrect-him/comments/#disqus

Sickening :( - you'd think after the boy's body looked like a Nazi concentration camp prisoner, someone would've thought "maybe we should give him something to eat" - the horrors of religious delusion know no bounds.

It is intellectually dishonest to try to stick this on Christianity as a whole. This is a very specific subset of people who identify themselves as Christian that did this - the vast majority of Christians would be appalled at such a thing, as I am.

Have you ever heard of a "Rising Ceremony" before? I haven't - because normal churches don't do that kind of thing.