Christ name is

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
One night, long ago Jesus was facing a rather challenging situation.

What name did Jesus use?

"He went a little farther and fell on His face and prayed, saying, 'O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.'" (Matthew 26:39)

Jesus had enough respect for his father that he didn't address him by a personal name.

I see no reason we should not follow his example.

"Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, 'O My Father'..." (Matthew 26:42)

I suspect there is a word for father in every language so Hebrew is superfluous.

Abba :)

- of course thru-out our discussion of the divine 'name', we could tote the ole "a rose is a rose by any name" card,....its all good. However,...if we are theists of any kind, and aspire to love 'God', then his 'name' (this includes all names, appellations, character traits, qualities and attributes) would be very important to us to know, emulate and embody, to also express those same qualities in our lives, giving glory to 'God'.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
of course, on the other hand, it does not hurt to show respect to the Supreme Being.

Jesus instructed his followers to pray to our mutual Father.

And he prayed to our Father.

Paul said, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father'."

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Glorify whom? Yahweh? Or Father?

If God's name is indeed 'YHWH' (Yahweh), then 'YHWH' is our Heavenly Father's name, yes? Wouldnt you respect that name?

CherubRam

~*~*~

Hi all,

One of the more modern translations, the Holman Christian Standard Bible restores and translates the 'tetragrammaton' in the scriptures in at least 500 passages :) - It renders God's personal name as 'Yahweh'. I have no problems with the rendering, although anyone with their own research can 'render' and 'pronounce' the divine name in a way that is most tenable to them.

So I commend this committee for at least attempting to restore the name.

However, there is now a new updated version just called 'The Christian Standard Bible'(CSB) and they have dropped using the divine name, and have went back to the traditional rendering of REPLACING the 'name' with the 'titles', 'LORD' or 'God', etc. I find this interesting, and it just seems to support some kind of aversion or conspiratorial veering of using God's name. I dont quite understand what all the fuss is over using God's name, when the scriptures encourage, command, instruct his NAME to be proclaimed, glorified, exalted, etc.

HCSB (wiki article)

As you may know, if you're not happy with many of the modern translations that leave out God's name, there are many 'holy name' bible translations out there.

The e vowel in God's name causes it to be mispronounced.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
of course, on the other hand, it does not hurt to show respect to the Supreme Being.

Jesus instructed his followers to pray to our mutual Father.

And he prayed to our Father.

Paul said, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father'."

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Glorify whom? Yahweh? Or Father?

If God's name is indeed 'YHWH' (Yahweh), then 'YHWH' is our Heavenly Father's name, yes? Wouldnt you respect that name?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
It is a biblical name

It is a biblical name

YHWH is not a name, it's a state of being.

Yahweh is not a biblical name, it's a spurious interpretation of existing.

'Yahweh' is certainly God's uniquely revealed NAME given to the Jews, his 'name' that is to be known to all generations, for all time, (eternal).... his special covenantal NAME. - it not only denotes his unique character, nature and quality of Being as the One True Deity of the Jews, as the Self-Existent ONE, The Generator of all world, Creator, ....but he claimed its his personal name, to be memorialized, honored.

Since Christianity's religious heritage and theology is rooted in the 'God' of the OT
, I dont see how any Christian theist or even Christ-fiendly spiritualist (such as myself) could ignore or deny that YHWH is in fact, a 'biblical name'. (I of course explore and expound on all dimensions of the meanings and value of the name,....in its universal application).

I get the gesture towards 'debate' and 'creative dialogue', but some facts are pretty established :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I have come to believe His Name is a form of Onomatopoeia...that is the sound one makes during deep inhalation...it is telling that the first sound Adam makes is inhaling...thereby stating His creator's Name...Adam was given the task to name...for humans their use...his wife eve he called her was made from a bone that protected his ability to declare his Maker's name...(the rib protects the lungs) she was to help him declare His Name with every breath he took...HalleluYah...aaah...aaaaawesomeness the aaaah and awe of worship and understanding reason and pleasure...the awwww of compassion we inhale Him His spirit His

Add to this the "sha" root of salvation and you have Yahsha...His only begotten Son's name...ssshhh the sound of air exhaling...now we have the cycle...every time we breathe we say His Name...you declare your maker...and now you can do so with intention...aaaaahhhhsssshhhaaaaa

The breath of life...He breathed on the disciples...

El I Yah means god is Yah
El I sha means god is salvation

Yah + sha

Yah became salvation at the birth of His Son yahSha...

Let all that have breath give praise...HalleluYah

We are not to kill as it removes the ability of Him receiving praise...
We are not to take His Name in vain...that is breathe without purpose or intent

Yes, some have made that observation that the divine name correlates to the breath, inhaling and exhaling....for Yah is LIFE (breath, spirit). Yahshua, Yahusha, Yeshua, Yehoshua (variations of spelling/pronunciation)....is indeed the Messiah-Son, the Arm of YHWH, the branch, the salvation of the LORD, Savior, Redeemer.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Abraham's God.................

Abraham's God.................

Yahweh is a man-made word.

Dont forget who you're corresponding with Jamie :) - I'm about as eclectic and liberal as they come on TOL ;)

Thats fine to believe the above, but in the context of biblical integrity and some respect for the so called 'scriptures' (if you believe they're inspired more or less),...the above assumption would be rejected by a Bible believer.

Yes, all language is 'alphabet soup'
. There is no reality outside of Consciousness itself, and all we can really ever know at any time...is OUR OWN EXISTENCE...which mirrors that One Universal Life and Consciousness that we call 'God' (add here any 'name' that is used to refer to 'God'). - because 'God' is the Source of life, being, consciousness. 'God' is the essence of life that reflects back to itself its own Awareness, its own Is-ness. - therefore our own 'existence' and God's existence coalesce as ONE. Life is an indivisible Unity (echad).

~*~*~

Let us see how important the name of the LORD is, and when its record began in some passages in the first few books of the Bible. -

We see in the beginning of the biblical record in Genesis, that YHWH was the 'God' being called upon even in pre-abrahamic times, and then with Abraham, before the burning bush encounter with Moses, so the tetragrammaton goes way back, before the revelation to Moses
of YHWH also being described as "ehyeh asher ehyeh" ( I am, I will be) - this 'name' also includes the whole of all that 'was, is and is to come'....the 'identity' of DEITY itself, the Infinite, and INFINITY.

Genesis 4:25-26

25 Adam was intimate with his wife again, and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth, for she said, “God has given[a] me another child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him.” 26 A son was born to Seth also, and he named him Enosh. At that time people began to call on the name of Yahweh.

Genesis 12:7-9

7 Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, “I will give this land to your offspring.” So he built an altar there to the Lord who had appeared to him. 8 From there he moved on to the hill country east of Bethel and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east. He built an altar to Yahweh there, and he called on the name of Yahweh.

Genesis 13:3-5

3 He went by stages from the Negev to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had formerly been, 4 to the site where he had built the altar. And Abram called on the name of Yahweh there.

- Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Now do NOTE, how important EARLY on in the biblical record where Yahweh's name (person, identity, character) was honored as 'God', particularly to Abraham, the Father of our faith, to whom the promises were entrusted, and thru whom we also receive the promise thru Yahshua the Messiah.

Since Abraham honored, built an altar and called upon the name of Yahweh, wouldnt you honor YHWH as well? :idunno:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I've heard God referred to by many names.

To a Jew who knows his scriptures and his 'God', there is only one special, unique, personal name of 'God', represented AS the tetragrammaton. Besides YHWH, of course 'God' has many different names which describe various aspects of his character.

While the name of God is special and unique to the OT, it is also universal, since the Infinite One includes all, while transcending all.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Since Christianity's religious heritage and theology is rooted in the 'God' of the OT, I dont see how any Christian theist or even Christ-fiendly spiritualist (such as myself) could ignore or deny that YHWH is in fact, a 'biblical name'.

YHWH is not a name, it's a descriptor.

If YHWH were a name, it's one God's people will carry.

Jesus said, "I will write on him the name of My God."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Yahweh

Yahweh

YHWH is not a name, it's a descriptor.

If YHWH were a name, it's one God's people will carry.

Jesus said, "I will write on him the name of My God."

If you believe the Bible is 'inspired', and believe the 'God' revealed in the Bible, how could you deny He has a 'name' (a memorial name that has preeminence over all other names), especially when he's proclaimed it for himself?

Do you believe God's words recorded by scribes below? -

14 God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.” 15 God also said to Moses, “Say this to the Israelites: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever; this is how I am to be remembered in every generation.

-Ex. 3:14

I am Yahweh, that is My name;
I will not give My glory to another
or My praise to idols.

- Is. 42:8

20 Can one make gods for himself?
But they are not gods.
21 “Therefore, I am about to inform them,
and this time I will make them know
My power and My might;
then they will know that My name is Yahweh.”

-Jer. 16:21 (HCSB)

The 'name' of God is proclaimed hundreds of times in the OT, YHWH, and a few times in short form as 'YAH'.

Trust in the Lord forever,
because in Yah, the Lord, is an everlasting rock!

- Is. 26:4

Behold, God is my salvation,
I will trust and not be afraid;
‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song;
He also has become my salvation.’”[a]

- Is. 12:2 (NKJV)

Sing to God, sing praises to His name;
Extol Him who rides on the clouds,
By His name YAH,
And rejoice before Him.

- Psalm 68:4 (NKJV)

~*~*~

We could go on, - clear plain statements by 'God' himself about his 'name', and multiple attestations of his name 'Yah' (YHWH) by various prophets. As an intellectually honest student of the Bible, you have to accept what is literally and figuratively in the writings, - but it is clear that 'Yahweh' is Gods eternal name, and OF COURSE we understand and learn from his 'name' about his eternal nature, character, qualities, attributes....as the Eternal ONE, who is timeless in his essence, but permeates all time (past, present and future) as the Existential One, and the Creative Living Spirit behind all creation ( dispensations, eons, etc.).

The 'name' of 'God' is upon the people of God, yes....meaning the nature, image, character, identity, 'signature' of 'God' is to be upon God's people, but this 'name' includes his revealed 'name'(s) and all that comes with that 'name' as well. The 'name' or 'names' of God bestowed or revealed in the Book of Revelation will have some aspect of God's name within them, for YAH is the life, energy, concsiousness that imbues all meanings and values as realities.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
So maybe 'Jesus' is not the best name for the Messiah?

So maybe 'Jesus' is not the best name for the Messiah?

What is the name of his son
Proverbs 30:4
Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Whose hands have gathered up the wind? Who has wrapped up the waters in a cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and what is the name of his son? Surely you know!

Yahwah and Yahshua.

If Christ name is Jesus, then the word of God has failed.

I think we've covered much of the essential basics of the tetragrammaton so far, but may be good to redirect now our focus on the thread-title-subject, concerning 'Christ' or 'The Son' of YAH. I'm not necessarily dogmatic over names, but recognize we have to understand all 'names' in their proper contexts and applications. Logically, since the name 'Joshua/Yehoshua' or however its spelled in the hebrew...means Yahweh's salvation, savior, etc.....and 'Joshua' and 'Jesus' can be interchanged to mean the same thing. So Jesus is a type of 'Joshua'. As we transilerate this into a more approximate rendering....since the name means 'Yah is salvation', it can be rendered 'Yahshua', 'Yehoshua', and other renditions. There was also no 'J' back then so its argued his name could NOT be 'Jesus' as we know it today. - this is just a rough draft overview, there is so much more involved, and many might argue that calling him 'Jesus' as we do today is just fine. - a history of the transliteration process from hebrew/aramaic to greek, to latin, to english is interesting though :) - some students of the original hebrew names for 'God' and 'Messiah' have dropped the name 'Jesus'.

So,...if we are a stickler for 'names' and their correct 'rendering/pronounciation'...at least the MOST correct we can come by as far as we can know,....this could be a 'hot potato' for some. At this point I would say its best for a follower (devotee) of Jesus to be well studied to at least know the history, linguistics, meanings, transliterations of the name, and take that together as a whole in their choosing what 'name' to call these personalities by.

So,...maybe we can get back to 'Jesus' now. If his name was really 'Yahshua', 'Yahawashi', 'Yahusha', 'Yehshua', 'Yehoshua' or some other variation, should we go back to those renderings and drop 'Jesus' from our vocabulary? Again, thats a personal choice, as 'Jesus (and the white european image of him) has been programmed into our western minds for some generations now. Perhaps that could be a form of 'idolatry', if we have been taken to respect incorrect images, names and forms of the Messiah. Alot to consider here :sherlock:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You guys are hung up in the OT.

How did Jesus address his God?

When I was growing up we didn't address our parents by their given names.

That would have been disrespectful.

Many today have no respect for their elders. Too bad.

So argue over God's name if that's what suits you.

But his children carry his name.

CherubRam

I think we've covered much of the essential basics of the tetragrammaton so far, but may be good to redirect now our focus on the thread-title-subject, concerning 'Christ' or 'The Son' of YAH. I'm not necessarily dogmatic over names, but recognize we have to understand all 'names' in their proper contexts and applications. Logically, since the name 'Joshua/Yehoshua' or however its spelled in the hebrew...means Yahweh's salvation, savior, etc.....and 'Joshua' and 'Jesus' can be interchanged to mean the same thing. So Jesus is a type of 'Joshua'. As we transilerate this into a more approximate rendering....since the name means 'Yah is salvation', it can be rendered 'Yahshua', 'Yehoshua', and other renditions. There was also no 'J' back then so its argued his name could NOT be 'Jesus' as we know it today. - this is just a rough draft overview, there is so much more involved, and many might argue that calling him 'Jesus' as we do today is just fine. - a history of the transliteration process from hebrew/aramaic to greek, to latin, to english is interesting though :) - some students of the original hebrew names for 'God' and 'Messiah' have dropped the name 'Jesus'.

So,...if we are a stickler for 'names' and their correct 'rendering/pronounciation'...at least the MOST correct we can come by as far as we can know,....this could be a 'hot potato' for some. At this point I would say its best for a follower (devotee) of Jesus to be well studied to at least know the history, linguistics, meanings, transliterations of the name, and take that together as a whole in their choosing what 'name' to call these personalities by.

So,...maybe we can get back to 'Jesus' now. If his name was really 'Yahshua', 'Yahawashi', 'Yahusha', 'Yehshua', 'Yehoshua' or some other variation, should we go back to those renderings and drop 'Jesus' from our vocabulary? Again, thats a personal choice, as 'Jesus (and the white european image of him) has been programmed into our western minds for some generations now. Perhaps that could be a form of 'idolatry', if we have been taken to respect incorrect images, names and forms of the Messiah. Alot to consider here :sherlock:

[FONT=&quot]Dishonor His Name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For thousands of years the refusing to use a person's name has been a direct form of dishonor. Shortening the name, replacing the name, distorting the name, all are signs of dishonor.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Honorable Mention[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
An “honorable mention” is a title of distinction given to a person worthy of mention. Upon honoring the person their name is mentioned, so their name has a place of honor known among the people.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Deuteronomy 32:39.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] See now that I alone am He; there is no God but Me. [/FONT]

daqq

Dishonor His Name
For thousands of years the refusing to use a person's name has been a direct form of dishonor.
Shortening the name, replacing the name, distorting the name, all are signs of dishonor.

You contradict yourself, for as I said, you, like the scholars you put your trust in, assume to yourself the right to shorten the Tetragrammaton name of "YHWH" down to "Yah" while claiming in the post above herein, (in bold red highlighting), that even what you yourself are doing is a dishonor to the name of the Father. The name of the Father is not "Yah" but rather the Tetragrammaton, "YHWH", (in English transliteration). Others may foolishly throw up their hands and say it does not matter, or you are all stuck in the "Old Testament", or choose not to invest any real study on their own time, but these things are how we actually display our love for the Father, (by searching His Word and His Kingdom). So if you truly wish to understand WHO the Son IS then what I have presented here already in this thread will lead you into the answers to all of these things with some study time, prayer, searching, and work on your own. It is not about proving who is right and who is wrong but rather about proving that you do indeed love the Father, (YHWH Elohim Almighty), and His Son, (Yah Elohim, Ι̅H).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What was the name Jesus used for his God and our God?

Self-righteousness is a dead end. Forget it.