ECT CATHOLIC VS PROTESTANT BIBLICAL INTERPRETATION

brewmama

The Protestants believe the scriptures and do not worship idols, the Catholics ignore the scriptures and make many idols to worship.

You are on the wrong side of scripture.

So you just avoid the question? Not to mention make up things, since Catholics no more ignore Scriptures than do all the Protestants who ignore all the Scriptures that they don't like.

genuineoriginal

do you worship the picture of your mother?
Why are Roman Catholics unable to understand they are violating the Ten Commandments when they bow down to their idols?

Exodus 20:4-5
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;​

We can also begin discussing the Catholic tradition of worshiping "relics", if you would like.

Judges 8:27
27 And Gideon made an ephod thereof, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel went thither a whoring after it: which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house.​

genuineoriginal

So you just avoid the question? Not to mention make up things, since Catholics no more ignore Scriptures than do all the Protestants who ignore all the Scriptures that they don't like.
Maybe if you read more of the scriptures you would understand where the Roman Catholic traditions are right and where they are wrong.

brewmama

Maybe if you read more of the scriptures you would understand where the Roman Catholic traditions are right and where they are wrong.

Hmm, I really don't see how I can possibly read it any more than I already do and have, which is a lot. But thanks for the advice.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Chrysostom said we don't worship idols. What if prayer is a form of worship? Why would anyone pray to anyone other than the Father?

If you mean God, the Father, then I would say I direct my prayers to Jesus, God, the Son, who is the Word. Although I have nothing against those who direct prayer to God, the Father.

I think Chrys is using the icon as a focal point, not worshiping it, but what it represents? I do not believe in praying to Mary, or angles, or Saints.

genuineoriginal

I think Chrys is using the icon as a focal point, not worshiping it, but what it represents? I do not believe in praying to Mary, or angles, or Saints.
Most Catholics do believe in praying to Mary, angels, and "saints" through the idols created to represent them.
They use the idols to communicate with Mary, angels, and "saints" and seek their blessings.

What they do is similar to the way the Hindu worship idols.
_____
Reasons For Idol Worship in Hinduism
. . .
It is not that Hindus worship their idols in vain. The idol is just a symbol, a form, with which the mind can be connected and concentrated upon. The ultimate reality is beyond the senses, beyond the known field of illusion or maya.
. . .
There are many reasons why a devout Hindu worships idols. These reasons may not satisfy the intellectual curiosity of an erudite scholar. But for a deeply religious Hindu, it is the best way of communicating with his gods and seeking their blessings.
. . .
_____​

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do know they had lots of statures in their church. Same with Anglican, which I did not care much

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
...he declares in the form of an unavoidably intellectual proposition. :darwinsm:

Faith simply cannot be separated from reason. Try again.
Do you honestly think that that is my own proclamation. I am amazed at how little you know of scripture. Any idea where the following quote came from?

because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Cruciform

Chrysostom said we don't worship idols. What if prayer is a form of worship?
Prayer to God is certainly a form of worship. However, "prayer" (archaic, "to ask") in which we invoke the intercession of past Saints on our behalf certainly is not. NOTE: Two different uses of the phrase "to pray."

Also, Catholics do not pray TO statues or icons, but rather to the past Christians which they (statues/icons) represent.

Why would anyone pray to anyone other than the Father?
Answered above.

Cruciform

Do you honestly think that that is my own proclamation.
Doesn't matter. it is still a proposition which is directed to the mind and understanding, and so is by definition "intellectual" in nature. Again, faith and reason cannot be separated.

I am amazed at how little you know of scripture.
Precisely my thought about you.

Any idea where the following quote came from?
St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans---probably the most "intellectual" (theological) document in the Bible. You're not helping your position here. Let's say it together: "Faith cannot be separated from reason."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Catholics believe that those in heaven can influence God. They can pray for your soul.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Doesn't matter. it is still a proposition which is directed to the mind and understanding, and so is by definition "intellectual" in nature. Again, faith and reason cannot be separated.

Precisely my thought about you.

St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans---probably the most "intellectual" (theological) document in the Bible. You're not helping your position here. Let's say it together: "Faith cannot be separated from reason."
Faith is defined as firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

Your sect does not have proof that Jesus or God is real. There is no Arc of the Covenant. There is no Noah's arc, no record of Jesus In Roman records. There is single item that definitively proves that God Is. It is something that you must accept without proof. You became Catholic on a vain effort to find some proof and you are willing to accept a very sketchy history as proof.

Knowing God exists will not save you. Faith in Who and What Crist is will. Since you have never met anybody who has been resurrected that can tell you that salvation is real, you have nothing but Faith. If you don't have that faith, you have nothing.