ECT CATHOLIC CHURCH & PROTESTANT SECTS: What's the Difference?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Here you're discussing an aspect of the theological doctrine of ecclesiology. So much for your opinions "not being doctrinal." Back to Post #92 above.

It's not a doctrine, it's an observation about how churches operate. There are the two extremes and then a range in between. You s the m to be aware of this and know that it is true as you completely evaded my questions regarding your catechism.

Cruciform

It's not a doctrine, it's an observation about how churches operate. There are the two extremes and then a range in between. You s the m to be aware of this and know that it is true as you completely evaded my questions regarding your catechism.
Post #100

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Again: You're discussing an aspect of the theological doctrine of ecclesiology. So much for your opinions "not being doctrinal." Back to Post #92 above.

Pay attention. It was not doctrinal. A doctrine is a rule that people adhere to. I never said a church has to proscriptive or relational, I only noted that they are. I also noted where the RCC falls within that spectrum based on the RCC's own writings. I am discussing how churches organize themselves based on their doctrines.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Moving-animated-picture-of-kittens-playing-ping-pong.gif

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Could it be that Catholics added the Apocryphal books to the bible at the council of trent in 1545 to keep their doctrine from collapsing?

Cruciform

Could it be that Catholics added the Apocryphal books to the bible at the council of trent in 1545...
You've been badly misinformed. In point of fact, it was the Protestants who removed the seven Deuterocanonical* books in the 16th century. For details, see this and this.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've been badly misinformed. In point of fact, it was the Protestants who removed the seven Deuterocanonical* books in the 16th century. For details, see this and this.

Got your dates mixed up Crux. Catholics approved the addition in 1545 at the Council of Trent which was backed up by the First Vatican Council. Get your Dates and History straight. :doh:

brewmama

I take it then that you do not believe that the Council of Trent added the Apocryphal Books to the Biblical text.

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/didnt-the-catholic-church-add-to-the-bible

http://www.catholic.com/quickquesti...al-books-to-the-bible-at-the-council-of-trent

And you actually believe this?

You don't know what you are talking about. The deuterocanonical books were in the Septuagint, which is the Bible used by Christ and the Apostles. Protestants are the ones who got rid of them, for no logical reason. They have ALWAYS been in the Orthodox Bible.