Canada to initiate Project Soylent

Arthur Brain

So the amount of pain someone's experiencing doesn't determine their supposed right to suicide, but rather the amount of time they have left to live?

Pain is usually part of a terminal disease and even with palliative care it doesn't always sufficiently alleviate the suffering of a person so if they want to end things before they're drugged up to the hilt and/or lose their faculties altogether then what exactly is your problem with that? I wouldn't support it for someone who was suffering but could recover and if I need to explain the obvious as to why then I'm through with this.

glassjester

Pain is usually part of a terminal disease and even with palliative care it doesn't always sufficiently alleviate the suffering of a person so if they want to end things before they're drugged up to the hilt and/or lose their faculties altogether then what exactly is your problem with that? I wouldn't support it for someone who was suffering but could recover and if I need to explain the obvious as to why then I'm through with this.

Alright, so someone who's terminally ill, but not in pain, should not have the right to be killed by their doctor. Is that right?

Arthur Brain

Alright, so someone who's terminally ill, but not in pain, should not have the right to be killed by their doctor. Is that right?

No. If the only way for a patient to not be in physical pain is so they're drugged and effectively 'out of it' then they should be allowed to end things before it gets to that point, if they choose to AFAIC.

glassjester

No. If the only way for a patient to not be in physical pain is so they're drugged and effectively 'out of it' then they should be allowed to end things before it gets to that point, if they choose to AFAIC.

Ok, but is it because of the amount of pain they're in, or because of the amount of time they have left to live?

Arthur Brain

Ok, but is it because of the amount of pain they're in, or because of the amount of time they have left to live?

How about both? A terminal illness is one that ends in deterioration, degradation and death so if you think someone should have to endure it until literally the last breath then you're free to that opinion just as I am the opposite. Not seeing how this convo can go anywhere really.

glassjester

Not my problem. How I haven't been clear enough on this is anyone's guess and if you don't get it then it's pointless by now anyway.

This is not consistent:

How about both?

Then if either aspect is missing, the person should not be allowed to kill himself. Is that right?

Then a man in constant pain, but who will live for years more, should not be allowed to kill himself.
Similarly, a man who will die within a few months, but is not in physical pain, should not be allowed to kill himself.

Right?

Arthur Brain

This is not consistent:

Yes, it is GJ, and short of your willful and characteristic pedantry it's blatantly bloody obvious as regards my position.

I believe that people suffering from terminal diseases should have the right to end their life before the inevitable deterioration causes untold suffering or loss of faculty, be that through drugs to try and alleviate the pain or a symptom of the disease itself.

Don't agree with that? Fine, your prerogative. My position is clear enough. Wanna go on about how life itself is a 'terminal disease' or whatever? Fine, you do that as well, just go find an audience willing to put up with your pedantic's on that, maybe round a campfire or something.