Battle Royale XIV discussion thread

genuineoriginal

Hello GO! That's 2 Chronicles 8:6...

1611-2-Chr-8!6-margin-note.png

The phrase in the Hebrew that is not translated is the equivalent of "which he desired". God created human language, and just as there is no such thing as a square circle, God shows Himself completely aware that there is no such thing as an exact translation of any lengthy text into another language.

So as you are pointing out, the 1611 translators are giving the reader the courtesy of having more information so that they can make their own minds up about the nuances in the difference between the Hebrew and their translation.

- Bob

Thank you Bob,

I suppose brandplucked will never acknowledge that the marginal note does not have anything to do with rare animals and precious stones.

He will also do anything he can to try to avoid the words of the translators that say the margin notes are used to admonish the reader to seek further in the Hebrew and in the Greek and not dogmatize the English translation preemptorily.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Will said we need to consult the Greek and Hebrew.
So do Bob and Will Duffy. Where does that leave the rest of us, needing a Rabbi, a sage or a so called scholar?

This is why I said in the beginning of this thread, the real issue is about final authority.

I'll open up my KJB believing the words on the page!

genuineoriginal

Yes. And further, seems like, even if there was a perfect printed version, then men would definitely worship it. After all, some already idolize it (even after admitting it has some errors).

Thanks mamatuzzo! - Bob

Yep, just like they did to Gideon's ephod.

Judges 8:27
27 And Gideon made an ephod thereof, and put it in his city, even in Ophrah: and all Israel went thither a whoring after it: which thing became a snare unto Gideon, and to his house.​

genuineoriginal

Why not just be HONEST about it, and admit that you do not believe there is now or ever has been such a thing as a complete and inerrant Bible in any language, translated or untranslated, and be done with it?
Why don't you be honest with yourself for a change and admit that you do not believe there is now or ever has been such a thing as a complete and inerrant Bible in any language, translated or untranslated, and be done with it?

It is your lying to yourself about your beliefs that is holding you back.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Good for you.

I do that with the KJV, the NASB, the NIV, the CJB, the YLT and more.
Please show me what these verses say in the NIV. Thanks!

Matthew 17:21 NIV
Matthew 18:11 NIV
Matthew 23:14 NIV

Mark 7:16 NIV
Mark 9:44 NIV
Mark 9:46 NIV
Mark 11:26 NIV
Mark 15:28 NIV
Luke 17:36 NIV
Luke 23:17 NIV
John 5:4 NIV
Acts 8:37 NIV
Acts 15:34 NIV
Acts 24:7 NIV
Acts 28:29 NIV
Romans 16:24 NIV
1 John 5:7 NIV

brandplucked

A Vatican version user wants to make a point

A Vatican version user wants to make a point

it is more than minor printing errors

there are actual translation errors

Hi C. Since you are a Vatican Version user (St. Joseph NAB) and an unbeliever in the existence of an inerrant Bible in any language, it would be interesting to see how your mind works (or, doesn't) when you affirm that the KJB has "translation errors".

So, why don't you give us your Number One All Time Big Hits "translation error" you think you have found in the KJB and prove that it is wrong. By the way, what is this absolute Standard you consult when you look at and compare the King James Bible?

Don't give me your bible agnostic laundry lists. Just your best shot example and we can then see if you are right or the Book is right and you are wrong.

Thanks.

genuineoriginal

The marginal note is real simple to explain. The KJB says: "...and all that Solomon desired to build in Jerusalem, and in Lebanon, and throughout all the land of his dominion."

The marginal note shows the literal and redundant sense of the Hebrew - "Heb. all the desire of Solomon which he desired to build."

The meaning of the KJB English text is the same meaning as that found in the "literal" Hebrew. There is nothing to "investigate" or argue over. The sense of the passage is crystal clear and the English translation accurately conveys that meaning.
So, where does the margin note mention rare animals and precious stones?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Hi C. Since you are a Vatican Version user (St. Joseph NAB) and an unbeliever in the existence of an inerrant Bible in any language, it would be interesting to see how your mind works (or, doesn't) when you affirm that the KJB has "translation errors".

So, why don't you give us your Number One All Time Big Hits "translation error" you think you have found in the KJB and prove that it is wrong. By the way, what is this absolute Standard you consult when you look at and compare the King James Bible?

Don't give me your bible agnostic laundry lists. Just your best shot example and we can then see if you are right or the Book is right and you are wrong.

Thanks.

rightly dividing is probably the worst one

not having the word
test
really bothers me

we are being tested

heir

TOL Subscriber
I see that you do not believe in God's word.
I believe these verses, but they are not in your "God's word" of the NIV (or they're missing important details 1 John 5:7 NIV).

Matthew 17:21 NIV
Matthew 18:11 NIV
Matthew 23:14 NIV

Mark 7:16 NIV
Mark 9:44 NIV
Mark 9:46 NIV
Mark 11:26 NIV
Mark 15:28 NIV
Luke 17:36 NIV
Luke 23:17 NIV
John 5:4 NIV
Acts 8:37 NIV
Acts 15:34 NIV
Acts 24:7 NIV
Acts 28:29 NIV
Romans 16:24 NIV
1 John 5:7 NIV

SaulToPaul 2

Tet,

Based on the definition of error you used when you said, "The KJV is without error", please list all of the versions with errors and those without errors.