Atheism died in the 20th century

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So, is your god resistant to photographing because it is an abstract noun (in which case how does it manipulate matter?), or is it shy, or is it not photographable because, as far as we can tell, it doesn't exist and so the Baal argument applies?

stuu - what would you expect to see as a photograph of God?

because I can provide you with any number of photographs of God's work, work that only God could do

and i won't even remind you of Gollum when i do it :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
town, to PJ:
you sir, are a retard

good day to you
You put your obsession with me over your faith. Why doesn't that surprise me.

Ok windbag
Way to prioritize, kid.

You know what, get off the sideline and see what you can do. I won't even short change your efforts.

Sorry Stuu. You have the challenge and as much answer on the point as I can give you without your meeting it. Good luck with Humpty and Dumpty.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You put your obsession with me over your faith. Why doesn't that surprise me.

Way to prioritize, kid.

You know what, get off the sideline and see what you can do. I won't even short change your efforts.

Sorry Stuu. You have the challenge and as much answer on the point as I can give you without your meeting it. Good luck with Humpty and Dum
I have given up trying to convince people that God is real. The best proof I have is the Holy Bible, God's word, and if someone doesn't accept the Bible as truth it's pointless to discuss it with them. I'm done giving effort for a while, I'm tired of thinking and working and I don't feel inspired.

ok doser

I have given up trying to convince people that God is real. The best proof I have is the Holy Bible, God's word, and if someone doesn't accept the Bible as truth it's pointless to discuss it with them. I'm done giving effort for a while, I'm tired of thinking and working and I don't feel inspired.

Town thinks that by making convoluted arguments he can persuade stuu of God's existence :dizzy:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have given up trying to convince people that God is real.
I'm not. Stuu has his mind made up. I'm just denying him the goofy notion that anti-theists hold the rational high ground. They don't.

The best proof I have is the Holy Bible, God's word, and if someone doesn't accept the Bible as truth it's pointless to discuss it with them.I don't agree with that as a rule. It really depends on the individual. Some, like CS Lewis, come to the faith by a thousand small considerations that mass. God uses all sorts of approaches. I don't discount them. There's even room for everything from gentle example to sinners in the hands of an angry God.

I'm done giving effort for a while, I'm tired of thinking and working and I don't feel inspired.
Okay, I can understand that, but how about don't muddy the water for workers who aren't.

ok doser

I'm not. Stuu has his mind made up. I'm just denying him the goofy notion that anti-theists hold the rational high ground. They don't.

That may well be true, but you're not helping your cause with your labored and convoluted argumentation

Not when stuu can make an effective rebuttal by comparing you to gollum arguing with Smeagle

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Glory is here? Then I just know that she is giving Stuu something to chew on in defense of the faith and not continuing to talk about me. Because surely she has her priorities straight.

Yessiree, she's probably got Stuu reeling.

I'm an optimist. :D

ok doser

Glory is here? Then I just know that she is giving Stuu something to chew on in defense of the faith and not continuing to talk about me. Because surely she has her priorities straight.

Yessiree, she's probably got Stuu reeling.

I'm an optimist. :D

You misspelled "obsessed"

And are still, ten years in, clueless about the concept of ignore :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You misspelled "obsessed"
That's because I give as much thought to spelling as you do to your posts.

Speaking of pointless objections:

Poor poor town

Prepare to be disappointed tomorrow :(
Man, you must live in a different calendar zone. :plain: :eek:

After this on the 19th...
And if i go into town tonight where they have real computers, I'll be glad to show why the rest of your self serving nonsense is just that :wave:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Awwww - you're still waiting
You think I thought you could, let alone would back your play? :chuckle:

And if i go into town tonight where they have real computers, I'll be glad to show why the rest of your self serving nonsense is just that
:guitar: And "We'll have a good time then, son. You know we'll have a good time then." :eek: Or, sure, take all the time you need to try to find an actual answer and by all means cobble whatever time-buying excuse you need in the meanwhile.

Stuu

stuu - what would you expect to see as a photograph of God?

because I can provide you with any number of photographs of God's work, work that only God could do

and i won't even remind you of Gollum when i do it :chuckle:
Too precioussess for photographessess...

Stuart

Stuu

It looks the way it logically is, your emotional reaction to it notwithstanding. If you can't find the empirical measure then all your posturing amounts to nothing more than a subjective reaction and you might as well be the guy on the street corner you likely find offensive.
I thought you might be the guy to help me find the measure.
I've been perfectly clear about it. Either there's an objective, empirical (or other equally objective) litmus to meet or there isn't.
Can you be clear on what it is?
The isn't underscores the insufficiency of empiricism (or other objective approaches) and the inherently subjective nature of our approach to the question of God.
So you think empiricism isn't up to the task but subjectivity does it?

Two things then:
* Can you be convincing in a subjective way?
* What is it about the question of the existence of your god that makes a subjective approach more appropriate? Is that god's existence a matter of opinion?
You can't show me a photograph of all sorts of things, existent and non. If I produced a picture of a resurrected Jesus walking across my pond I'm betting that would only begin all sorts of additional challenges and questions that wouldn't settle a thing.
Oh no, not critical inquiry. That would be awful.
So we're right back to settling. If you want proof you should understand what would suffice. And for the what would suffice to be meaningful beyond your subjectivity it would have to be empirically (or otherwise objectively) verifiable and the means methodologically reproduceable.
Why are you telling me what I would or wouldn't believe? Isn't that the point of subjectivity?

I personally think the best argument against the existence of god is an aesthetic one. That is based in both observation and personal taste. Ask me about it some time.
What's that litmus again? If you can't name it you can't be satisfied and the question/challenge isn't meaningful.
Litmus is an extract from a lichen that, when chemically treated responds to changes in hydronium ion concentration by changing colour between red and blue. Can you be as clear about the existence of your god as I can about summarising the chemical nature and behaviour of litmus? Don't forget, I didn't provide any evidence just then. As with the photograph, proper detailed explanations could do it.

But I don't know why you are convinced about your god so I can't know how to ask you to be convincing. Again, all I can conclude from that is you aren't actually convinced yourself.
When you insist on proof you by and large are absent some other means of objective verification on the point, which you also fail to produce as a standard.
I find it amusing that when I post on ToL, and especially when the interlocutor is a creationist, I am always expected to have the highest standards and the best evidence-based responses!

I could have a holiday from that, couldn't I. Maybe I could just baldly assert on every front as is done in scripture and in temples, mosques, synagogues and churches across the world, not just the way I did on the non-existence of gods, but on any topic!

But I do try to set high standards of probity when it's possible.
This is serious business and you're a member of the Body.
Uh oh. Shall I step out for a minute?

Stuart

Last edited:

Stuu

By all means, convince me I'm wrong. Life is always more interesting that way.

The best proof I have is the Holy Bible, God's word, and if someone doesn't accept the Bible as truth it's pointless to discuss it with them.
So it's not really proof, then is it, if it presumes acceptance. It's more like circular logic.

Stuart

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I thought you might be the guy to help me find the measure.
I can help you see you're bringing a ruler to a concert to measure the music, but only if you want to understand it.

Can you be clear on what it is?
If you don't know what the litmus is then you can't really be asking for proof. If you just want to be personally convinced then I'd say you can't come to the question believing you have the answer that negates it. Your statements on God and the faithful don't evidence a searcher. You're more a bemused mocker in need of a consistent methodology.

So you think empiricism isn't up to the task but subjectivity does it?
I've demonstrated that Empiricism isn't up to the task. That leaves experience, which is subjective in nature. But that's a useless approach too if you aren't open to it.

Two things then:
* Can you be convincing in a subjective way?
Our subjective need, or the recognition of it always precedes any meaningful intellectual discourse and movement. I don't believe that will happen for you. I suspect that God will have to shake you. You should ask Him to. You don't even have to believe He exists to answer on it. You just have to love the truth, desire the truth, and be willing in that confession to also confess your ultimate ignorance of what that truth is...which is about the most rational statement someone in your position can utter.

In the meantime, I'll love you as Christ loves you, pray for you as men should hope, and desire the best in all things for you.

I think that caps it for me. I went on point for point, but this is really the sum of it and a better place to end my part except for that hope for you, one that may see us meet as brothers in this world or the next.

One other matter.
So it's not really proof, then is it, if it presumes acceptance. It's more like circular logic.
The quote that precedes your answer here isn't mine but appears attributed to me. I'm also a firm believer in proper attribution and would appreciate your editing the post by either attributing it or removing my first part from it.

Stuu

I can help you see you're bringing a ruler to a concert to measure the music, but only if you want to understand it.
So you still aren't telling me which is the appropriate 'measure'. What tool would you bring to the concert then?

Have you heard the expression 'Unweaving the rainbow'? It is Keats' accusation that Newton destroyed the poetry of the rainbow by reducing it to prismatic colours, to which Richard Dawkins (in his book of that title) and others have replied that there is no destruction of the aesthetic involved in scientific analysis, you only add to the experience. Not sure if that applies to your god. It always seems so angry when you read ancient Jewish mythology. Maybe there is beauty in anger, which could be measured with, er, a furiometer?
If you don't know what the litmus is
I don't know what a god is. You're the one making the claim.
I've demonstrated that Empiricism isn't up to the task.
No, you've only ever asserted it.

That leaves experience, which is subjective in nature. But that's a useless approach too if you aren't open to it.
Measuring with a ruler is experience too. And in fact I think I made this point to you earlier: the knowledge you have of this god thing must be sensed, and sensing and analysing for a conclusion is at the centre of the scientific method. I agree that experience is subjective in nature, but science seems to make it work by its checks and balances. Why can't your experiences be subject to that kind of confirmation too? Are you just too special?

Stuu: Can you be convincing in a subjective way?
Our subjective need, or the recognition of it always precedes any meaningful intellectual discourse and movement. I don't believe that will happen for you. I suspect that God will have to shake you. You should ask Him to. You don't even have to believe He exists to answer on it. You just have to love the truth, desire the truth, and be willing in that confession to also confess your ultimate ignorance of what that truth is...which is about the most rational statement someone in your position can utter.
So, no then.

This is circular logic. You assume the existence in the argument for existence.
hope for you, one that may see us meet as brothers in this world or the next.
My preference would be this world. The alternative one promised for the pious appears a miserable prospect.

Stuart