Ashley Madison hacked data has been officially released

jeffblue101

http://www.theawl.com/2015/08/notes-on-the-ashley-madison-hack
1. A data dump, which allegedly contains over 35 million email addresses, 33 million accounts with more detailed information (names and addresses), and every credit card transaction from the last seven years, is reported to have been posted online. It could be doctored or entirely fake, however: a hack was previously confirmed by the company, and early signs point to legitimacy. (Update: Brian Krebs was unsure, but now seems convinced; Ashley Madison’s official statement is ambiguous.)

3. However, 4chan users, and undoubtedly others, are already combing through data and posting their discoveries. They started by searching for people with government email addresses, university email addresses, and addresses associated with major corporations. This is unfolding very quickly, already revealing the email addresses of students, teachers, public servants and municipal employees.

7. This, on the other hand, is basically unprecedented? Most leaks of this size don’t implicate people in anything aside from patronizing major companies. This is new territory in terms of personal cost. The Ashley Madison hack is in some ways the first large scale real hack, in the popular, your-secrets-are-now-public sense of the word. It is plausible—likely?—that you will know someone in or affected by this dump.

8. Most of the responses and acknowledgements I’m reading now are either straight news stories or… jokes? I’m not sure anyone is really reckoning with how big this could be, yet. If the data becomes as public and available as seems likely right now, we’re talking about tens of millions of people who will be publicly confronted with choices they thought they made in private (or, in some cases, didn’t: Ashley Madison does not validate all email addresses). The result won’t just be getting caught, it will be getting caught in an incredibly visible way that could conceivably follow victims around the internet for years.

9. Such a scenario would present a number of new questions for many more internet users— questions the nature of which they’ve never really had to deal with. If the names and email addresses are available in a simple Google-like search, for example, will they search for their partners? Friends? Coworkers? Representatives? Family members? If so, why? If not, why not? Will you seek out the raw leak data after reading this post? Will news organizations, presented with user profiles associated with public figures, ask for comment? Treat each as news? Which ones? How? The last time people dealt with similar questions on a large scale was when troves of internal Sony documents, including emails, were leaked. Before that, it was when hundreds of private celebrity photos were stolen and released last year. That act was widely denounced, as were the millions of subsequent acts by the people who viewed the photos. But enough people looked at these photos to set traffic records for sites like Reddit. In any case, an incredible number of ethical questions are posed by this situation!

I honestly dont know what to think of this news story. A part of me is upset that a hacker would ruin and violate sereval million people's private lives, but another part feels that these adulters deserved to be publicly shamed for lying and cheating on their spouse. If I was cheated on I would definitely want to know just not so publicly. What are your thoughts on this leak?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I'm so very glad that it is impossible for my name to appear on that list!

As to those who are on the list, I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for them. They know they are doing something wrong and they know that getting caught is always a possibility. They have earned what they are about to get.

Quetzal

As to those who are on the list, I'm afraid I don't have much sympathy for them. They know they are doing something wrong and they know that getting caught is always a possibility. They have earned what they are about to get.
I have a hard time having sympathy for them as well.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Last time I looked, around 60 million were married in America. The 33 million accounts hacked in the claim above, could lead to one to assume over half of those married were cheating or actively considering doing so (assuming just an American population). Sad no matter how one interprets the numbers.

AMR

HisServant

Its precious that you think people on that site used their real names... just precious.

jeffblue101

Wired.com has more info on what was released

A data dump, 9.7 gigabytes in size, was posted on Tuesday to the dark web using an Onion address accessible only through the Tor browser. The files appear to include account details and log-ins for some 32 million users of the social networking site, touted as the premier site for married individuals seeking partners for affairs. Seven years worth of credit card and other payment transaction details are also part of the dump, going back to 2007. The data, which amounts to millions of payment transactions, includes names, street address, email address and amount paid, but not credit card numbers; instead it includes four digits for each transaction that may be the last four digits of the credit card or simply a transaction ID unique to each charge. AshleyMadison.com claimed to have nearly 40 million users at the time of the breach about a month ago, all apparently in the market for clandestine hookups… .

The data released by the hackers includes names, addresses and phone numbers submitted by users of the site, though it’s unclear if members provided legitimate details. A sampling of the data indicates that users likely provided random numbers and addresses, but files containing credit card transactions will yield real names and addresses, unless members of the site used anonymous pre-paid cards. One analysis of email addresses found in the data dump also shows that some 15,000 are .mil. or .gov addresses.

The data also includes descriptions of what members were seeking. “I’m looking for someone who isn’t happy at home or just bored and looking for some excitement,” wrote one member who provided an address in Ottawa and the name and phone number of someone who works for the Customs and Immigration Union in Canada. “I love it when I’m called and told I have 15 minutes to get to someplace where I’ll be greeted at the door with a surprise—maybe lingerie, nakedness. I like to ravish and be ravished … I like lots of foreplay and stamina, fun, discretion, oral, even willingness to experiment—*smile*”

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Josh Duggar: '19 Kids and Counting' Star Reportedly Has Account on Ashley Madison Website

Data released online after a hack on Ashley Madison's servers shows an account belonging to Joshua J. Duggar with an address that matches a home owned by Duggar's grandmother, Gawker reports.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Josh Duggar: '19 Kids and Counting' Star Reportedly Has Account on Ashley Madison Website

Data released online after a hack on Ashley Madison's servers shows an account belonging to Joshua J. Duggar with an address that matches a home owned by Duggar's grandmother, Gawker reports.
Uh.... lets keep this real..... anyone can make an account and provide any address they wanted to.

My guess is out of the million accounts that were hacked 75% are probably faked.

shagster01

Cheating is no good and I can't respect people who do it. But illegally outing them is something I also can't respect.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Uh.... lets keep this real..... anyone can make an account and provide any address they wanted to.

My guess is out of the million accounts that were hacked 75% are probably faked.

That was my thinking at first, but there's more according to Gawker:

Someone using a credit card belonging to a Joshua J. Duggar, with a billing address that matches the home in Fayetteville, Arkansas owned by his grandmother Mary—a home that was consistently shown on their now-cancelled TV show, and in which Anna Duggar gave birth to her first child—paid a total of $986.76 for two different monthly Ashley Madison subscriptions from February of 2013 until May of 2015.​
If somebody went to the trouble to fake this, they did it over a period of years and apparently used nearly $1,000 from Duggar's actual credit card account to do it.
We’ve reached out to TLC, the Family Research Council, and a spokesman for the Duggar family for comment and will update if we hear back.​

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That was my thinking at first, but there's more according to Gawker:

Someone using a credit card belonging to a Joshua J. Duggar, with a billing address that matches the home in Fayetteville, Arkansas owned by his grandmother Mary—a home that was consistently shown on their now-cancelled TV show, and in which Anna Duggar gave birth to her first child—paid a total of $986.76 for two different monthly Ashley Madison subscriptions from February of 2013 until May of 2015.​
If somebody went to the trouble to fake this, they did it over a period of years and apparently used nearly $1,000 from Duggar's actual credit card account to do it.
We’ve reached out to TLC, the Family Research Council, and a spokesman for the Duggar family for comment and will update if we hear back.​
I'm not here to support the Duggers but Gawker has had to retract a lot of stuff over the years.

Their style is kinda.... shoot first ask questions later.

So.... we shall see on that one.

One thing for sure is... this will probably kill services such as Ashley Madison and that's a good thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What is Ashley Madison and how does it relate to people cheating on their spouses?
It's a site where men and women can go to hook up for extramarital affairs. The first time I saw the commercial I thought, "That hand basket is going to get more crowded than the Hindenburg."

Don't you have access to Google or Wikipedia?
Why should he bother when we're here?

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure there was something about a "user name" connected to that Madison story. :shocked:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not here to support the Duggers but Gawker has had to retract a lot of stuff over the years.

Their style is kinda.... shoot first ask questions later.

So.... we shall see on that one.

One thing for sure is... this will probably kill services such as Ashley Madison and that's a good thing.
I have no sympathy for Ashley Madison. Many of the registrations on there are probably faked. Sites like this are predatory. They often collect people's names without their consent.